Tuxachanie Trail

Tuxachanie Trail is a 11.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Perkinston, Mississippi that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.4 miles Elevation Gain: 475 feet Route Type: Out & Back

bridge out

Directions from Wiggins: Travel south on Highway 49. The primary trailhead is located 2.5 miles north of Saucier, Mississippi on the east side of Highway 49. See Airey Lake and P.O.W. Recreation Area for directions to the other trailheads.

bridge out

I arrived at the trailhead about 8am this morning. It was about 65°. The trail is in good shape. One of the bridges was replaced with a log and ropes, and a couple others weren’t in great shape. Entirely passable with minimal adventure. Around mile 3 it got a little overgrown from reduced traffic. It was still passable, but I couldn’t stop thinking ticks and chiggers were going to get on me since I was wearing shorts. (No ticks found). I walked around the lake to add a little distance before the return trip. I’m glad I did, there was a nice pitcher plant bog on the backside. The campground had a couple “residents” that looked like they’d been there a while, but appeared harmless. On the return trip, I took one of the forestry roads for a change of scenery, which turned into some off trail time. Google maps shows the road as the trail, so the trail wasn’t where I expected it when I turned back to it (rookie move, I know). The forestry roads aren’t marked, but the trail is well blazed and simple to follow. I didn’t see another person on the trail until I was almost back to the trailhead (3/4 of a mile out, I passed about 10 people). Maybe because it was Sunday morning, maybe because it was Cruizin’ the Coast, but I loved having the trail to myself for 14 miles. Saw one (non-venomous) ribbon snake, a couple lizards, a sad turtle trekking to find a new body of water to inhabit, and a few pileated woodpeckers. No bugs today with it being so cool, and dry.

Great weather, Nice hike. Patchy Oak canopy and full sun Pine. Easy comfortable walk definitely bring H2O. I will agree with an earlier post from another hiker. We did run into some interesting people most were very nice and were knowledgeable about the unmarked trails. However when we ( me my wife and my daughter)returned to the very small parking lot, some douche bag taped a cigarette but to my daughters driver side window and wrote liter bug on the window. I did have a cig before I started ( I know it's gross) but When I was don't like I always do I stomped it out and placed into an empty water bottle in the back of the vehicle. I'm just glad I didn't walk up on them in the act. This story would have a much different ending. I will say the drive to the park was nice and the park is beautiful just be wary of your neighbors in the parking lot.

Great trail. Unfortunately we only went to the lake. A simple 5-6 miles. The lake is small, but we did catch bass from it. Camp ground is nice, however some interesting characters do show up. Fairly shaded, plenty of scenery. Watch for exposed roots. Planning on doing a full hike to POW Camp soon.

Bring Deet 100%. Do full body check for ticks when you get home. Deer flies will make your life hell, so apply repellent liberally and often, especially on back of neck and ears. Trail is well defined and maintained. Boy Scouts do good work on it to trim back brush, etc. If you’re the morning hiker you’re going to eat a lot of spider webs, so bring hiking stick or trekking poles. Whatever you think you need for fluids, bring an extra liter! Seriously!

Loved this trail, lots of cool swampy areas and some history too

Great trail. I really enjoyed it. I am a beginner hiker and I would recommend this trail to anyone.

recorded Tuxachanie Trail

bridge out

Bridges out , trail markers confusing (several trails converge together/and multiple old forestry road crossings with out trail markers)

Took my grandson and we hiked a little more than 2 miles. Well marked and traveled trail. Very interesting history about area. Tall trees, sunny, little breeze. Take plenty of water.

Fun hike!! Not hard. The heat coming back after leaving Airey lake was pretty tough. Take a couple liters of water if it’s summertime. I was swarmed by large deer flies the whole time...that was annoying., but they weren’t landing on me too bad, just swarming around my head. They weren’t bothering my husband much so could have been my shampoo. Will do unscented shampoo next time :) Definitely use bug spray with deet. There are some pretty wet, swampy areas with mosquitoes. Two bridges were out and there is risk for walking through water. Watch for snakes, we almost stepped on a 4 foot cottonmouth. Overall a good hike! Enjoyed our day! Took us 5.5 hours from 49 trailhead to Airey lake and back..

bridge out

Really nice trail; well marked. Nice variety of trees and evergreen. Warning: spotted 2 water moccasins on the trail, not far from trailhead by the bog.

I think this was a good way to begin your hiking and camping experience. The trail is marked well enough and the campground at Airey lake is great. The bathroom is definitely a plus. The fresh water is great too. It is never going to be a life changing experience but I am sure glad I got to do this and would do it again.

Not well marked from Airey Lake. There are multiple paths that intersect with no signs. We followed some tree markers we could find but it was not Tuxachanie Trail.Airey Lake is midpoint if you start from hwy49. POW is another 6.5 miles from there.

This isn’t actually the Tuxachanie Trail but it was a nice hike. Seriously needs better markers so you know which trail you’re on.

Easy flat ground.

I have hiked and camped more than times than I care to remember. It's a very nice location. It is my to go to place here South Ms. pond never has fish, and at Airey Lake, sometimes people will live there for weeks on end ( makes it a trashy place) . otherwise would of been 5*