The Arkabutla Lake Education and Nature Center Trail (ARK) Trail

The Arkabutla Lake Education and Nature Center Trail (ARK) Trail is a 1.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hernando, Mississippi that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The trail is located in a wildlife sanctuary and consists of 2 miles of woodland walking trails already constructed with future plans for a handicap accessible wildlife demonstration trail. The Trail feature interpretive signs listing area wildlife and tree identification markers. The trail consists of gently rolling hills with little elevation gain and features an outdoor amphitheater that can accommodate small groups for outdoor education classes. Trail-goers will enjoy views of Arkabutla Lake, mixed hardwood forests, swamps and open fields planted for wildlife habitat. At the end of the second loop visitors can get a good view of Arkabutla Lake as the trail winds through the hardwood forest alongside the lake. The ARK Trail is a collaborative effort between the U. S. Army Corp of Engineers, DeSoto County Board of Supervisors, Mississippi Wildlife Rehabilitation, Inc. and the DeSoto County Greenways.

First Fogg Road is closed so had to detour around. The hike was nice short hike. Lots of spider webs across the trail. A log was down and across the trail at about 1 mile, but was easy to route around.

Pros- Short and can be walked in under an hour easily. It's easy enough that most kids could do it without a problem so it'd be a nice family activity. It's also not very busy. I went on an absolute perfect day for hiking, and I was the only one there. The trail is beautiful and very well taken care of in most places. Overall, it's a nice little trail.

Cons- There is a little bit of trash in some areas, but not enough to really distract from the beauty of the trail. You can also hear the highway towards the beginning of the trail so it can be hard to get that 'secluded in nature' feel, but the sound goes away as you go farther along the path.

Walked this trail on Saturday. It's very nice and easy. Didn't see much wildlife, unfortunately. Will try again in the future.

This is a wonderful Trail. Where it lacks in size it makes up in beauty and convenience. Just a Ten minute drive from Hernando, parking at the trail head and benches along the path. This would be a nice place for a picnic! Oh, and I see deer just about every time I hike this trail.

The cons. This trail, like all trails can get washed out in certain spots after a heavy rain. And though i haven't seen any snakes in the two years i've been hiking here be aware that there is a good chance they are around especially close to the lake.

This is a great short trail. Roughly 50ft per mile worth of climbing and well marked. There are educational signs and boards. So nice just for a time crunch outdoor activity with a few geocache to add as a bonus too.

Great trail. Went back next day and did 2 miles. Will love it when lake comes back up.

Friday, July 22, 2016

it is a reserve, so no dogs allowed. it was nice short hike other than that.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Has the potential to be a nice little hike, needs more work but I see equipment out there so I believe it's in progress.
Maybe a raised deck walkway toward the water where the lake debris litters the trail? Good scout project!!

Sunday, May 15, 2016

This trail is a joke. Who ever started turning this into a nature center is definitely behind. There is trash through out. At one point my son and I followed until we ended up on very unclear path. We had to cross brush that we couldnt tell what we were walking on. I will never come back to this trail.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

It was an easy trail. It took us maybe 45 minutes and we weren't walking fast. The lake had flooded some of the areas so we had to walk through the woods until we could get back on the trail, but it was fun.

Thursday, December 31, 2015

First trail experience. I had a 7 and 9 year old with me and they did great.

Friday, June 26, 2015

This nature trail was brief but quite beautiful; it was a great spot to sprint back through for a second trip around the trail.

The trailhead is near the Arkabutla dam...highway 301 west is north of the lake; follow it west until you see signs for the Arkabutla dam. Happy trails.

Friday, May 08, 2015

Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Great!

Saturday, November 08, 2014

This was a great trail for our family. We had to leave our dog at home though, no dogs allowed here.

Sunday, August 03, 2014