Percy Quin State Park Nature Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(31)
Percy Quin State Park

Percy Quin State Park Nature Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Summit, Mississippi that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 62 feet Route Type: Out & Back

flooded

Looks like this used to be a nice trail at some point, but many of the boardwalks are in disrepair, and there has been no effort to clean up downed trees, etc. free storms. Didn’t even make it a mile in before having to turn back.

Trail needs work. Can’t see your feet on some of trail. Turned around at about 1.2 miles due to bridge didn’t look safe at all.

bridge out

The nature trail was ok up to about 3/4 miles in, then it starts to be hard to hike for the lack of an obvious trail (few blazes). I think a one day work day on behalf of Mississippi trails crew would do this place a lot of good. For some reason this park is the least kept parks in Mississippi.

Not too bad, Begging of trail is clearly marked but on you get past the 3 or 4th bridge it become more of an adventure. The just ends at a mud pit or at least I didn’t see any signs of continuing. I will be back in the winter in hopes of going completely around the lake.

Sun Sep 16 2018

Haven’t done this since I was a kid. I went back today to do the full loop with some of my family and we got lost several times due to the many down trees and overgrowth. It’s a beautiful trail, it just needs a chainsaw and some love. Please be careful when going out there. It is difficult to determine where the trail continues on at several points. Wear pants and bug spray.

Wed Sep 05 2018

This has not been kept up at all. There are trees down all along the path, and it was too far along the trail to turn around so we had to crawl under VERY thick brush. There is a bridge near the end of the trail that goes across part of the lake. It has not been maintained, does not have a handrail, and is turned at an angle-not safe! The park staff told us the Boy Scouts are in charge of maintaining the trail, but they are obviously not taking care of it. We went in the driest part of the year, and there was still a lot of mud and in some places, you have to walk across a 2x4 and still get muddy. This shouldn’t be classified as easy. I would def say moderate or hard. This trail kicked our butt. We did go around the full lake, approximately 8 miles.

Sat Feb 24 2018

Very muddy today. Pretty swamp scene

Mon Jan 01 2018

Very muddy and needs some upkeep. But the swamp area is beautiful with a good bit of wildlife. The trail actually goes quite longer than shown - all the way around the lake now. About 4 miles and then you can make it a loop walking the two miles on the road through the state park.

Mon Aug 21 2017

Muddy and no upkeep but nice walk

Wed Nov 23 2016

had a great time with 5 kids. start to finish was 5.6 miles trail is open all the way around the lake

Sun Sep 18 2016

I was disappointed at the up keep of the nature trail. After only a little over a mile the bridge was out and I had to turn back around. I anticipated at least four miles in before turning around. I posted pictures from the trail hopefully it will get some love and care.

Tue Jun 07 2016

Percy Quin has rapidly become my favorite place to hike! I usually start at the Golf Course parking lot and walk along the road to the northern trailhead, all the way around the lake and back to the golf course, which stretches the Nature Trail to a 10-mile hike. There is a ton of opportunity to see a huge variety of plants, animals, and animal sign. Percy Quin is an absolute gem!

Sun May 22 2016

The trail was in bad repair, but beautiful.

Sun Jul 26 2015

Just ok, trails need work to reach their old glory.

Sat Apr 18 2015

Our first hike. Very fun, however the grounds were very wet so there was a bunch of mud. Beautiful scenery and trees. We even saw 2 small snakes. Dam is out so trail is one way in one way out. We turned back early because we didn't have proper shoes on to go through ankle deep water. All in all, very fun. We will be back soon!!

Sat Nov 22 2014

We did this trail 11/15 and it was an okay trail except for one big thing: ALL OF THE BRIDGES ARE OUT. They are all in disrepair or just washed away. do not go with children or on a cold day. you will get wet. Also the road ways have been changed and cut off so don't plan on a drop off and pick up. other than that its cool, but very wet

Fri Apr 05 2013

We went hiking and camping here a few years ago. Enjoyed the hikes, the lake, and the campgrounds!

Wed Mar 27 2019