Dunns Falls Trail is a 0.6 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Enterprise, Mississippi that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.6 km Elevation Gain: 11 m Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

historic site

fee

Note: This trail is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. There is a $3.25 fee. A 65 foot waterfall the flows into the Chunky River. It was used as a power source for a gristmill. You can hike a short distance down to the bottom of the falls and swim in the river.

fee
private property

We came back to try our luck again and park is open now. Very nice experience for a very small fee ($3.25).

closed

Came today. Closed due to Covid-19

My family enjoyed touring the grist mill and playing down by the water. I’m glad we stopped to explore the area.

We were very glad we went here. The waterfall was amazing and the grist mill was very historic and neat. There was a nice picnic area by the lake as well. Once you go down the steps (which can be a little steep at times, but doable), you are able to walk out onto a plateau at the bottom of the falls. Very tranquil and scenic with views of the Chunky River. There is also a hiking trail that runs off from the falls that goes along the Chunky river to a Boy Scout camping area. We did have to navigate around a couple of downed tree and washouts along the way but it was well worth it.

Nice little trail. Spent about an hour just exploring down the river and relaxing. Would be nice to camp at. Took our 5 month old in his front carrier backpack. Cold, but beautiful fall colors made it a nice morning hike.

Open year round. Adult is $3.25. Tiny but nice/interesting enough.

I would recommend checking this out! Nice clear cool water. The falls create a relaxing environment. You can wade and cool off in the creek. Plenty of space to set chairs and hang out for a while. We enjoyed our short visit; will be back with the dogs and spend a little more time. Park closes at 5:00. I wish they would stay open longer since it doesn’t Get dark for a few hours.

Fri Dec 28 2018

It’s a nice stop if you like history of the local areas or looking for a place to cool down in the summer. Other then that I would have a hard time talking the place up. Wooden safety rails and most of them are decaying and falling apart. I really wish they would have kept the water wheel up in shape and have it turning just to show kids what it did. The mill itself might have another 3-5 years before it falls apart. We have been coming out here for almost 8 years now and it’s getting worse.

Fri Dec 21 2018

Pretty good, short train. $4 to get in. Building from the 1800s and waterfall!

Sat Oct 27 2018

Pretty solid trail with a lot of sights along the way. Very rustic and even offers a lot of primitive trails. Just be careful, the primitive trails offer little to no cell phone service.

Sun Oct 21 2018

great little hike 1/4 mile, with an old gristmill from 1857.

Sun Aug 12 2018

We had a great time! Fun little day trip!

Wed Jul 25 2018

I have a special place in my heart for Dunn's Falls since it is located just a few miles from where I grew up. This park is a wonderful place for family and friends to have a picnic after a short hike to the waterfall and Chunky River. There are also primitive campsites available, and the old water mill can be toured. However, due to lack of funding, the park is only open from Memorial Day to Labor Day for the summer months. Like all Mississippi Pat Harrison water parks, Dunn's Falls is pet friendly. Just make sure you pick up after your dog and have them on a leash or harness because the river currents can be swift and strong. Enjoy a little piece of history!

Wed Jul 04 2018

Nice scenic trail, river was up when we went and was nice. Old water mill was very interesting. Definitely worth the hike, easy and pretty.

Fri Mar 16 2018

A trail leads to the river below and is somewhat able to be seen. It was covered with trees and overgrowth. Most points on the trail parallel to the river were tough and had to hold on to a tree and jump across the blocked path. I enjoyed the moderate/hard level of this trail and how beautiful it was! Watch out for spiders! There is an easy trail that goes along to some camp Houses and it’s a short 5 minute walk. Beautiful as well and paved with rock. Easy to hike

Thu Sep 28 2017

My sister and I took the trip to Dunns Falls from Hattiesburg. This makes a great day trip combined with Bonita Lake in Meridian. We spent an hour at the Falls and luckily it was quiet with only a few other people until we left and saw a big group coming in with ice chests and rafts. Being from New Orleans, it's nice to have this type of geological feature relatively close. I'd like to come back to visit later in the fall.

Wed Aug 02 2017

This is a great pit stop for those who are driving to/from New Orleans on 59. It is Mississippi's tallest waterfall at 65'. It costs $3.25 to enter the park but the small donation helps maintain this historic area. You can explore all three levels of the old mill, trek down to the bottom of the falls and swim in the river, and capture great images. It really is a cool spot hidden in the Mississippi hills. Rocks may get slippery but you can easily manage it with a nice pair of water shoes/boots or going barefoot. There are no trail markers but you will not need them

Sat Jul 08 2017

The falls were really pretty. Trails were well maintained. No markings or maps available but it was easy to navigate back to the park entrance. Easy access to the base of the fall makes for great pictures. It is slippery so be careful!

Wed Jan 25 2017

My wife and I were driving to Tennessee and decided to stop here for a quick stretch. I'm glad we did.

Tue Dec 04 2018