Dunns Falls Trail

Dunns Falls Trail is a 0.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Basic, Mississippi that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

historic site

A 65 foot waterfall the flows into the Chunky river. It was used as a power source for a gristmill. You can hike a short distance down to the bottom of the falls and swim in the river.

My sister and I took the trip to age Falls from Hattiesburg. This makes a great day trip combined with Bonita Lake in Meridian. We spent an hour at the Falls and luckily it was quiet with only a few other people until we left and saw a big group coming in with ice chests and rafts. Being from New Orleans, it's nice to have this type of geological feature relatively close. I'd like to come back to visit later in the fall.

This is a great pit stop for those who are driving to/from New Orleans on 59. It is Mississippi's tallest waterfall at 65'. It costs $3.25 to enter the park but the small donation helps maintain this historic area. You can explore all three levels of the old mill, trek down to the bottom of the falls and swim in the river, and capture great images. It really is a cool spot hidden in the Mississippi hills. Rocks may get slippery but you can easily manage it with a nice pair of water shoes/boots or going barefoot. There are no trail markers but you will not need them

The falls were really pretty. Trails were well maintained. No markings or maps available but it was easy to navigate back to the park entrance. Easy access to the base of the fall makes for great pictures. It is slippery so be careful!

My wife and I were driving to Tennessee and decided to stop here for a quick stretch. I'm glad we did.

Saturday, July 09, 2016