Richardson Creek Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(89)
Homochitto National Forest

Richardson Creek Trail is a 8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Meadville, Mississippi that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.0 miles Elevation Gain: 800 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

20+ Miles of Mountain Biking/Hiking Trails. Located south of Meadville, MS in the Homochitto National Forest. The Trail system is a ride in ride out facility. The Clear Springs park has 22 full hook-up campsites & 22 primitive sites.

I would have to thank the ranger first. When we came it was closed due to the virus. Made a few phone calls and got the go ahead . Trail is easy to follow . Has a creek that you cross a few times. Found an arrowhead . Not entirely steep , but it does take you up and down and around . it's a very beautiful place . Bring plenty of water . Will be back would like to investigate the park itself .

Closed due to COVID-19.

Nice hike with some good elevation change. The trail was well kept.

Trail length was actually 9.3 miles, great weather.

Tally's Trail is a closed trail. The trail has many down trees that obscure the trail and trees obstructing bridges. These obstacles caused us to lose the trail on several occasions. Do not attempt this trail with out GPS, or compass and very good map skills. It was a fun challenge and i enjoyed the solitude of this trail. I then combined the Richardson Trail to make this a 20 mile loop. The Richardson Trail is well maintained and clear of most obstacles. Also a very clean trail system with very little trash on trail (LNT). There is a small fee to use the park, $5 a day, use the drop box at the front gate and hang the receipt in your windshield. Nice Park. I will go back, Hope they clear and open Tally's Trail soon.

This trail is a beautiful walk through the woods, but there are parts that split off onto other trails without any signage. Without the app, we wouldn’t have been able to stay on trail. Lots of banana spiders along the way. Ended up turning around about 2 miles in as it was pretty overgrown and we had already pulled some ticks off our dog. Ended up pulling two ticks off myself later on the walk back. Some spots pretty muddy as well. Would love to go try again after some trail maintenance!

So let me start by saying I really enjoyed my 2 hours on Richardson Creek Trail. I used to mountain bike these trails when I was a kid and they were in peak condition. It’s sad to see them in the condition they are. With that said the trail is still very rideable. There are still some fast sections that flow well there are still some tough climbs. I ride it on 10-5-2019. The temps were good. I ride slowly because there is a lot of over grown brush and quite a bit blow down. Honestly with a bit more use and a chain saw weekend the trail good be in good shape.

This trail is not closed. The Tally’s trail is closed (yellow markings). We did cut the trail and walked the creek bed for a 1/2 mile.

Really nice trail. Just needs some TLC.

several other trails cross this one. not clearly marked. sections closed. many ticks. not miserable but a high maintenance hike.

closed

Large majority of the Trail was closed for a control burning. Disappointing to drive so far only to have to turn around. No warnings online nor near the trail heads. The only warning available is when you get about 2.4 miles in, however it was only for 8/30 &8/31 and I hiked with two others on 9/1. The sign specifically asks to not continue the trail until the signs were taken down but the trail was beautiful. Very enriching winding hills and steep climbs throughout the section I hiked. Going to make an attempt to come back when it gets colder.

June 2nd 2019: It was a nice trail. We did the 8 miles in 3,5 hrs, but that is because we didn’t have a real break: to many bugs 浪 So make sure you have enough water and enough bug spray, because you have to spray 3-4 times (like every 45min depending on the humidity and weather). The trail went up-and-down all the time, and my watch said it was close to 9,3 miles instead of 8. The only complaint we may have is the fact that parts of it were overgrown, so you should take a stick or so with you. Rough parts has stepping stones and bridges so that was nice. So this trail will get your heart pumping if the temperature goes up to 90-95, then you’ll about 1100Kcal. It was great: we were all alone with nature! Btw: you should wear sunscreen, while parts are unshaded

Sun Mar 31 2019

Great hike with some hills! Bring water

Tue Mar 19 2019

Great trail! This time of year greeted with dogwood trees and native azaleas in full bloom, was really spectacular. My hike was on a cool day, so weather was perfect. A few moist areas, but bridges for all the major water crossings. One spot was flooded beyond the bridge so had to sludge thru mud, but has recently been lots of rain so is understandable. So much pollen my shoes were green when we left, those with allergies need to double up in the spring! Lots of hills for South Mississippi...was a great workout. Took this inexperienced hiker about 8 hours with pack to finish.

Sun Mar 17 2019

Richardson Creek Trail -- State map says trail is 10 miles. We hiked right under 9 miles in 4.5 hours with a 20 minute stop for lunch. Somehow we missed a turn that took about a mile off our hike towards the end. Low traffic - we only crossed a few people at the beginning and a couple in the middle. There are 3 trails that are connected including this one according to the map at the site. Trail is clearly marked. We didn't take the lake trail that's shown on the map - I think it was closed. Tally trail is closed at this time & removed from their online map. Rolling hills but nothing too strenuous. Weather was beautiful with high about 65 degrees so the hike was nice without bugs -- I would expect it to be different once temps start rising. Not much wildlife besides a few birds, squirrels and one non-venomous snake that crossed my path before I noticed him. Lots of trees so lots of roots on the trail. There is a clearing about midway that looks like it's been sitting for a while -- which was a bit dismal, but nothing that really took away from the remainder of the trail - reason for 4 stars. I would definitely hike this again...I actually wish I lived closer to be able to hike a trail with elevation gain like this more often. There is a $5 per car fee for day use and is by the honor system so there's no one to give change. There are primitive camp sites and hookup sites for use too if you check out the USDA website for Clear Springs MS.

Thu Mar 14 2019

3/13/19 very well maintained trail, perfect for mountain biking, and dog friendly! Easy 11 mile loop for experienced hikers, mostly rolling hills. Took about 4 hrs. On this app it’s listed as clear springs trail, but, it’s really called Richardson creek trail. It was confusing at first, but overall the trail is very easy to follow. I enjoyed my hike today. Water crossings all have bridges. About 2/3 of the way in you’ll pass through a clear cut area of forest that is a bit dismal. It’s unfortunate that this area has been deforested for no apparent reason; there’s literally TONS of untouched lumber that has been there for quite some time. It’s a fun foliage trail, lots of change in foliage types. Baby spruce, rhododendron. Surprising lack of wildlife today. Honestly I saw no mammals of any kind. Not even a chipmunk. No snakes, deer, squirrel, raccoon, Turkey. Not even birds. I saw some cool insects, beetles, huge grasshoppers, butterflies, etc but that’s about it. Surprising. Found a few ticks when I was done hiking. They’re already out so be sure to be mindful of that!

Sun Dec 30 2018

This was my first trail without kids, longer than 5 miles. It kicked my butt, because it was 95 degrees and I was hiking with experienced hikers who didn't take breaks as frequently as kids do! I want to return to this trail now that I've gained experience. I remember it being lovely, but hard. I think upon return, it will be lovely but a little less challenging.

Wed Oct 03 2018

The trail is a little tough to follow in the fall with leaves on the ground but a pretty easy hike and nice rolling hills. Clear Springs Campground is a hidden gem. Very nice.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Great place to camp, swim, and hike. A few snakes, chiggers and ticks but mostly just beautiful scenery

Sun May 27 2018

Easy trail, was mostly clear and well-maintained. We just did the loop around the lake due to time constraints. Typical concerns for Southern summer hiking: ticks, chiggers, poison ivy, & snakes. Just bring the OFF and beware your steps.