Clear Springs Trail

Clear Springs Trail is a 11.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Roxie, Mississippi that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

20+ Miles of Mountain Biking/Hiking Trails. Located south of Meadville, MS in the Homochitto National Forest. The Trail system is a ride in ride out facility. The Clear Springs park has 22 full hook-up campsites & 22 primitive sites.

Probably one of Mississippi's best hidden gems. This trail is extremely well maintained and you wander through beautiful forests and see a lot of great spots to hang out in the water. Trail is a bit rough for those just beginning so I would suggest being moderately fit if you plan to hike the entire length. Start early so you won't be hiking through the night like I did, unless you're like me and enjoy a good moonlight hike.

good walking trail very clean and maintain

We made a trip to hike the Clear Springs trails but a few signs said the trails were closed. We ended up hiking the Lake trail, only about a mile long. It's a nice little walk around the lake. After we hiked the lake trail we chose to deviate from the trails, since the area is small enough and getting lost would be hard to do, so we followed "Richardson Creek" for about half a mile. That made the trip a lot more interesting to us.
Our experience was ok, it would have been a lot nicer if the owner of a large Boxer would have kept his dog on a leash. While on the Lake trail his large dog charged us from behind with the intent to attack, had I not turned around sooner it would have been an awful day.
Note to fellow hikers, if this dog would have been a few feet closer it would have been a deadly day for the dog. In the woods I don't play around with a strange(rs) dog, I will defend myself with deadly force.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Nice easy hike. Wanted to do more of the trail but it wasn't clear where "more of the trail" was. I guess that could be our fault for not researching before going. No biggie, still lots of fun.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Thursday, June 30, 2016

We did the Mill Creek Trail. There was a sign that said all trails were closed until further notice but it was in a really strange place so we weren't sure about that.

The trail (at least Mill Creek) is little more than a game trail at this point, but it's not hard to follow. I would wait until the fall when some of the brush starts dying and it's cool enough for pants. It's really overgrown; the briars were relentless.

Bugs weren't an issue with some spray. We also ended up within 20 feet of a deer.

There are some small streams. I filled a bottle from one and it was fine, but drink at your own risk.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Overall a good trail. But a few things...

The Clear Springs Trail is more of a trail system, currently only consisting of 3 trails (the 4th is currently closed). This was confusing for me initially.

The trails are well marked. I think some of the comments on here regarding them not being well marked may be due to the confusion of the multiple trails. The trails are for the most part well maintained and clear. However, I will say that certain sections were overgrown. All bridges intact. Plenty of water sources. I wore plenty of mosquito spray and still got destroyed by bugs, mostly chiggers. Fair amount of wildlife- box turtle, 2 water moccasins, and multiple cool insects, including a millipede. Only saw 2 mountain bikers on the trail in the 2 days I was there. There is a usage fee that you pay using the honor system. I don't know why this trail is listed as "hard"...I'm not super experienced...did the 3 open trails and found it very easy. Not very steep hills at all (not expecting much from MS).

I probably wouldn't go back unless in the winter.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

The trails are graveled for a lot of the way. Very steep hills. Hard to climb with the rocks rolling underneath your feet.

We deviated from the trails eventually and walked the creek bottom back to the car.

I personally will warn anyone off going here. I found it to be a miserable not well marked trail and will not be back. Ever.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

Is the Clear Springs, Mississippi Recreation Area closed? I just looked at their website and there was a message saying that the recreation area is "closed until further notice due to plumbing issues". Anyone know if this is true? We are planning to tent camp there next week.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Beautiful, not very well marked. Camping was excellent

Sunday, April 24, 2016

We tried to hike, but the trails were unclear and it was full of bugs. It was gorgeous from the car. We drove along all of the dirt and unimproved roads, but anytime we got out of the car we were assaulted by bugs. Being from TX I am a bit biased, but it is a million times better not having the bugs.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Saturday, March 05, 2016

Monday, September 07, 2015

We had an amazing trip this past weekend. Brought out mtn bikes and rode about 8 miles around the park. We found ourselves on Tally's Trail and Mill Road for a bit and I would suggest hiking these instead of biking- there are many roots. We did see that Tally's was closed from in the park area. It was not closed towards the primitive area and we couldn't find another connector while trying to find the Richardson Trail, so we took it. The trails are marked and there are maps at most of the intersections. We just had a hard time finding the trails connecting once we hit the fire roads. We finally found Richardson and it is the best trail for biking. We did about 7 miles before we ran out of water, so we headed back. Found a cool creek to relax in and then carried on our way. The area is all rolling hills and the trail was cleared. The smell of pine in the backwoods in so prevalent!
We hiked the Clear Springs Trail (1 mile) and took the connector to Mill Branch Trail. It was cleared for the most part and the bridges are all fixed.
Its a huge park! We decided to camp by the lake, but the primitive spots were well off the beaten path.
I suggest going out to the lake at night to star gaze. We could not believe how visible the stars were. We witnessed a quick meteor shower and saw the Milky Way while laying on the decks.

Sunday, August 16, 2015

Nice easy trail not too far from NOLA. This definitely wasn't very challenging but there's a lot of miles to cover and plenty of off trail game trails and hills of you want to venture off the trail. The trail is very well marked. I expected it not to be having read other reviews on here but I grabbed a trail map at the trailhead and followed the wooden arrow signs and had no issues. The trail forks about 3 minutes in from the trailhead. We did the loop to the lake (stay to the right). Was very scenic. Tons of wildlife. I would definitely do this trail again. Go with plenty of day light as there is a lot of trail to cover if you have the time. Warning! Google maps will take you to the completely wrong spot. Follow directions on here and grab a paper map. Easy to find it you're not following Google.