Clark Creek Primitive Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Woodville, Mississippi that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length4.3 miElevation gain961 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashFishingHikingNature tripsBird watchingRunningForestRiverViewsWaterfallwild-flowersWildlifeBugsRockyScrambleFee
Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Getting There

NOTE: It has been reported this trail has temporary closures. Please see the park's website for up to date information: http://www.mdwfp.com/parks-destinations/trails/search/ Bring cash in one dollar bill increments. There is an honor system setup for entrance fees to the trails. $4.00 per vehicle +$1 per person for more than two people. Even though it is an honor system, it is enforced by local Wildlife and Fisheries. The main access trail to the Clark Creek Natural Area is a well maintained gravel path between 6 and 10 feet wide. There are stairs installed as alternate routes down and up the steep inclines with resting areas/benches at intervals. There are also stairs at several waterfalls.

The parking lot is relatively small and during peak times you will need to park along the edge of the access road. There are outhouses for men and women at the parking area. There is an old general store approximately .75 miles before the parking area where drinks and snacks can be purchased.

From Woodville, MS: Take Highway 969/Pickneyville Rd. Turn right on Fort Adams Pond Rd. From St. Francisville, LA: Take Highway 61 North, turn left on Highway 66, turn right on Highway 969/Pickneyville Rd., turn left on Fort Adams Pond Rd.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (314)
Photos (159)
Recordings (201)
Completed (596)
Brandy Songne'
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 27, 2021
Hiking

Anyone have any idea why it’s still closed or when it will reopen?

Joe Bequette
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 14, 2021

When is it going to be reopen

Chad Taylor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 18, 2020
HikingGreat!

talked to the local park management and they say at best the trail will open after the new year. usually hike here 5 or times a year, but haven't been once this year...... wish they would open it up.

Shannon Duet
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 30, 2020
HikingClosed

I never post on anything. This trail is one of my favorites. It is so disheartening that it is still closed. Wtf?! Why is it STILL closed. No answers. At least make something up.. COVID can’t be used as an excuse anymore. The weather is getting perfect now to go hiking. This is absolutely ridiculous it’s still closed.

Ryan Cooper
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 24, 2020
Closed

somebody needs to get in touch with the right authorities about opening this trail.. I mean it is Mississippi and they probably forgot they even closed it!!

Ashley Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2020
HikingClosedFee

The trail itself is 5 star. The poor management of it 0-1 STAR I have watched it degrade over the last couple of decades. I grew up hiking this trail and it’s just not what it use to be. It use to be you just pulled up and enjoyed nature no issues, no tags, a hike at your own risk kind of deal but with thoughtful maps, trail markers, and safety reminders everywhere. It was fool proof. You could also pick up a paper map (if needed) at a local farm/store and just get into nature but now it’s a total joke! There’s an honor system now (which I’m all about supporting the advancement of the trails and areas) but when I brought my friends from Alaska (proud to show off this spot of course) I ended up just embarrassing myself like I said it had nothing to do with the trail it was impressive but when we returned from our hike my friend had a BIG FAT ticket thing on her car bc the flimsy paper thing you hang from the honor system had fallen off the rear view mirror and someone just decided to slap a ticket on her car, the office was closed and impossible to get anyone on the phone. In the 20+ years I’ve been enjoying this trail I have never encountered anything like that. We had actually honored the system and PAID very generously more than we were suppose to. My friends were flying out the next day so they just laughed and said come get me in Alaska, I guess it’s a bad attitude to have but it was embarrassing and ended our hike on a very sour note it also showed the disorganized and corrupt system. The ticket wasn’t really a big deal in itself it’s the fact the system is so disorganized it actually punished people who honored it and more, It is just a damn shame honestly and the bathrooms smell rotten, are totally filthy and disgusting it’s enough to make you want to puke, you can smell the bathrooms as you walk to the honor system box, not exactly a warm welcome when you are smelling human waste on the start of your journey, completely overshadows the beauty at the entrance. The amount of people there has never been an issue for me even as its popularity has grown over the decades, most people JUST come to take pictures and swim at the main two waterfalls which are located at the beginning of the trail after that it’s pretty much clear so I’ve never really felt overcrowded, you don’t have to be very strong but you do need to be in somewhat decent shape to do the entire trail, you wouldn’t want to take this hike if you have any major structural issues but it’s designed to help give most people access to the first two waterfalls with a decking system so don’t be discouraged if there's a crowd. I actually enjoy seeing people off their phones and enjoying nature, it refreshing and everyone is minding their own. There is plenty of space to spread out and there’s actually more (less impressive but more) waterfalls on the entire hike and really gorgeous views. I have encountered young adults drinking but I’ve never been threatened by them. I’ve actually been more concerned for their safety this is not a place you want to be inebriated at. I’ve never had cell phone service and it’s a good ways to help if something dangerous happened. The famous Angola prison shares a border with these woods and you’re on your own when night falls, where’s the ticket slapping person when you really need them?!?! Ya know? My last and final gripe about this trail is the fact that it is closed atm, either I’ve really missed something in the last year and it’s become a partying place? Bc I can’t even imagine how it wouldn’t be a great place for social distancing activities. I’m appalled it is still closed, I literally just got back from California where I was able to enjoy any and all trails, hiking, boating, swimming, fishing, camping, etc. activities. It was all open and California isn’t messing around with this pandemic esp compared to some less liberal states. It just doesn’t make sense how I can go shopping at SAMS in the heart of the pandemic but I can’t take my family out into nature?! Where I have never even been anywhere near 6 feet to someone else on these trails, plenty of fresh air and space and here we are in August and it’s still closed? It’s not like we have many options around here to get outside and hike w/o dying of heat exhaustion, all while being properly social distanced, other then the 2 main waterfalls it is actually nearly impossible to gather in large crowds here and it doesn’t even make sense to gather in a crowd it’s hilly and treacherous there’s no cell reception so other than the small possibility of some minimal crowding near the start of the trail with people taking pictures and waterfall swimmers It’s not a place that invites crowding so this goes back to the defunct system managing the trails! And I have no doubt people would respect social distancing while here. Sooo DO NOT waste your gas money driving out here it is CLOSED.

Jolby Marcel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 9, 2020
Hiking

Hit this trail about a year back. Maybe it’s because we went when we did, but this was one of the most awful trails I’ve ever done. They had so many people, which is fine usually. I guess the amount of people attracted so many bugs? They had hundreds of sand flies. Swarming us like we disturbed a bee nest. I have friends that didn’t have the same experience, but i doubt I’ll return just in case. The elevation coming back to the parking lot is pretty rough. Save up your energy for that.

Vickie LaCoste
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 6, 2020

This area has been closed due to the Covid 19 pandemic

Lauren Greenlee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 30, 2020
Hiking

Trails are still CLOSED. The website has not been updated and is rather deceiving. Driving now to Tunica Hills so our day’s not wasted!

Lyle Gallet
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2020

Is the trail back open?

Max Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 4, 2020
HikingClosed

Trail closed until further notice. Had vehicles and trailers blocking parking area with giant "PARK CLOSED" sign. Didn't stick around but I imagine if you do you'll get a trespassing ticket.

Kiley A
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 23, 2020
Hiking

We really enjoyed this hike! We went to the 1st and 2nd waterfall then followed the creek to the 3rd one. We then continued on the creek and ran into the primitive trail. The scenery on the primitive was amazing and definitely recommended. We figured out that one way on the trail was marked white and the other way was orange so that made it a little easier to navigate. There are maps throughout the trail but most are on the ground from being washed out so just be on the lookout for them. Definitely bring a change a clothes and extra water. We only brought one hydration pack for 2 ppl and we ran out of water towards the end so I’d recommend everyone brought their own

Mileina Battaglia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 21, 2020
FeeRocky

Such terrific scenery. There were 4 of us - 2 cautious and 2 more daring. We were able to moderate challenges for ourselves individually as there were optional routes to travel.

Sam Taliaferro
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 15, 2020
Hiking

this was a good dog friendly trail. there are a lot of different paths to take that aren't marked well but there are good signs for the waterfalls and parking area. was very busy with lots of dogs and kids on the main trails. the primitive trails were much less crowded

View Sam's Recording
Kyle Abbott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 9, 2020
Hiking

My family loves Clark Creek. Our most recent hike we stuck to the out and back improved portion of the trail because we had the little ones with us. However, the improved trail itself is challenging due to the elevation gain. The footing is just more predictable and it is a shorter distance than the primitive trail. We did the improved with a 5 and 6 year old and it is a perfect challenge for them, and for anyone if you push it on the inclines. The trail is well traveled and maintained. We saw a ton of people out on a pretty Saturday. This has to be the best place to hike in the Baton Rouge area, being about an hour drive away from BR.

Ray Edwards
HikingMuddyRocky

I think the trail was awesome it had good views and the waterfalls were flowing good. If you go just know your feet are going to get wet. The trail is not marked as well as it should be but overall it was a great hike. I will definitely be going back.

Alexa Barrios
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 15, 2020
HikingMuddy

It was so nice! The weather was perfect when we went. So close to where I live, I will definitely be going again.

Amy Barnes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 3, 2020
HikingFeeMuddy

This was my first “moderate” trail. It was pretty hard. Went on a Saturday and it was very crowded...parking was tight. Crowd thinned out further out we got. Didn’t find the start of the primitive trail and ended up hiking the trail backwards...which we were told by fellow hikers was more difficult. There were some muddy parts that were slippery when climbing out of the creek bed. Waterfalls were pretty and creek bed was nice to walk through. I HIGHLY recommend waterproof hiking shoes and trekking poles if you are new to moderate trails. Also bring more water than you think you will need. We went in January and it wasn’t hot...but you will get a workout. There is a shortcut that cuts through and you miss the back part of the trail. We didn’t want to take this but got turned around and ended up taking it on the way out and hiked out the way we came. in. Ended up going 6 miles instead of 4.3. Will be back to hike the whole trail as it is meant to be hiked...it was fun and beautiful.

Hannah Hennessey Lambert
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 24, 2020
HikingMuddy

Great hike! Lots of ups-and-downs which contribute to the overall elevation change. For the most part, the trail is well marked. It was kinda difficult to navigate over the creeks. Lots of trash cans on the northwest/west loop of the trail which was convenient. Not as muddy as I figured it would be the day after rain. My dog enjoyed herself. Saw 2 deer.

View Hannah's Recording
Chad Kennedy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 4, 2020
View Chad's Recording
Mark Stephens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 28, 2019
HikingFeeMuddyWashed out

It was a good mix of trails. They need to put more stone/gravel on steep inclines where it is extremely muddy.

View Mark's Recording
Chaz Jones
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 27, 2019
Hiking

Anyone every tried camping here?

Donna Allen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 24, 2019

Great hike!!

View Donna's Recording
Sheila Melancon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 19, 2019
Hiking

Excellent trail. There are some areas of washouts so your take your time. $4 parking fee.

View Sheila's Recording