Clark Creek Primitive Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Woodville, Mississippi that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length4.3 miElevation gain961 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashFishingHikingNature tripsBird watchingRunningForestRiverViewsWaterfallWildflowersWildlifeBugsRockyScrambleFee
Description
Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Getting There

Bring cash in one dollar bill increments. There is an honor system setup for entrance fees to the trails. $4.00 per vehicle +$1 per person for more than two people. Even though it is an honor system, it is enforced by local Wildlife and Fisheries. The main access trail to the Clark Creek Natural Area is a well maintained gravel path between 6 and 10 feet wide. There are stairs installed as alternate routes down and up the steep inclines with resting areas/benches at intervals. There are also stairs at several waterfalls.

The parking lot is relatively small and during peak times you will need to park along the edge of the access road. There are outhouses for men and women at the parking area. There is an old general store approximately .75 miles before the parking area where drinks and snacks can be purchased.

From Woodville, MS: Take Highway 969/Pickneyville Rd. Turn right on Fort Adams Pond Rd. From St. Francisville, LA: Take Highway 61 North, turn left on Highway 66, turn right on Highway 969/Pickneyville Rd., turn left on Fort Adams Pond Rd.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (337)
Photos (174)
Activities (215)
Completed (632)
Rachaele Otto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarApril 5, 2021
HikingOff trail

This review is for the primitive part of the trail only. I really want to like this trail, but honestly I can't even call it a trail. I've seen deer paths with more obvious clearings. I was there on Easter and the path just disappears. My partner and I wandered through the woods for a while then called it quits. That was a first. Saw several people hiking in the opposite direction. That should have been a clue. I would love to return as the location is gorgeous, but not until some obvious route or signage is established. I'll edit my review if that happens.

Jacky Taylor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 4, 2021
HikingBlowdownBridge outMuddyOff trailOver grownScrambleWashed out

Would give 5 stars but want to make a point that there were more than a few trees down and to give yourself plenty of time. I hiked with my mom and it took several hours to enjoy the trail and also find it again when it disappeared. I use an app called Maps.Me that has the trail on it though it did zigzag across the furthermost southern creek a few too many times and we should have just stayed with our feet wet in the creek rather than scrambling up and down banks which took time. Gorgeous woods and can't wait to return, but knowing how many people tramp into Clark Creak with barely a water bottle, please don't underestimate this one!

David Tiner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 3, 2021
Hiking

Great trail, a few trees down on the primitive trail, but nothing that caused major problem. I love this area. The primitive trail is very challenging, but worth the hike. Don’t forget to go up to the overlook point, a tough climb up and down.

Gina Domangue
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 31, 2021

Closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Rachael F
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 30, 2021
HikingScramble

This hike is fantastic! You definitely need to be in at least decent shape, some spots require climbing and when you’re done with the primitive part, you have to hike back up to parking about 3/4 mile uphill which is tough after several hours of moderate to rough hiking. Sticks recommended, compass mandatory as it’s hard to see the trail or blazes in some spots. It’s a gorgeous trek through the woods and well worth the effort!! Be aware they have added another branch of the trail that bypasses the southern two waterfalls. It is not on any of the maps and I didn’t have offline downloaded so I’m not sure precisely where it was to add it here. This is why I docked a star - everyone else we met on the trail was lost and the only reason we weren’t is we ran into a couple of locals who told us about it. We didn’t take the new branch but I think it’s supposed to be a little easier physically. It’s a west turn off the long stretch south, take it for a shortcut or keep heading south for a rougher hike and more waterfalls (then turn west at those). That’s if you started heading south and not west at the beginning of course. Updated trail maps and a blaze legend would be helpful for this hike. Otherwise I love the secluded nature of it! One of my favorite hikes in MS!

Liz Dickerson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 27, 2021
Hiking

Wowww this trail kicked our ass! We got lost twice awesome place!

View Liz's activity
Stacie Ponthier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 27, 2021
Hiking

Beautiful trail! There is a lot of steep hills and creek crossings. I lost signal while recording...this trail is longer than the 5.6 it listed for me. Definitely closer to 8 miles

View Stacie 's activity
Kevin Hensley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 13, 2021
Hiking

i will be going back. it was a little rough for my son, which is 6. but he made it through.

View Kevin's activity
Teresa Shumate
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 13, 2021
View Teresa's activity
Braxton Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 12, 2021
HikingFeeGreat!

One of the best places for waterfalls! It IS back OPEN; I went last weekend and the weather was phenomenal.

Corban Saucier
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 9, 2021
Hiking

Yep. Still closed as of the 9th.

Ashley Dawn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 6, 2021
Hiking

I was notified by park officials that this trail was opened back on on Friday, March 5!

Phillip Purpera
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 4, 2021
Hiking

Beyond ridiculous that this trail is still closed.

Holly Sherman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 1, 2021
Hiking

Hiked from the 80’s to 10’s - was always a hit.

Brandy Songne'
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 27, 2021
Hiking

Anyone have any idea why it’s still closed or when it will reopen?

Joe Bequette
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 14, 2021

When is it going to be reopen

Chad Taylor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 18, 2020
HikingGreat!

talked to the local park management and they say at best the trail will open after the new year. usually hike here 5 or times a year, but haven't been once this year...... wish they would open it up.

Shannon Duet
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 30, 2020
HikingClosed

I never post on anything. This trail is one of my favorites. It is so disheartening that it is still closed. Wtf?! Why is it STILL closed. No answers. At least make something up.. COVID can’t be used as an excuse anymore. The weather is getting perfect now to go hiking. This is absolutely ridiculous it’s still closed.

Ryan Cooper
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 24, 2020
Closed

somebody needs to get in touch with the right authorities about opening this trail.. I mean it is Mississippi and they probably forgot they even closed it!!

Renee Cheek
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2020
View Renee's activity
Ashley Lee
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 7, 2020
HikingClosedFee

The trail itself is 5 star. The poor management of it 0-1 STAR I have watched it degrade over the last couple of decades. I grew up hiking this trail and it’s just not what it use to be. It use to be you just pulled up and enjoyed nature no issues, no tags, a hike at your own risk kind of deal but with thoughtful maps, trail markers, and safety reminders everywhere. It was fool proof. You could also pick up a paper map (if needed) at a local farm/store and just get into nature but now it’s a total joke! There’s an honor system now (which I’m all about supporting the advancement of the trails and areas) but when I brought my friends from Alaska (proud to show off this spot of course) I ended up just embarrassing myself like I said it had nothing to do with the trail it was impressive but when we returned from our hike my friend had a BIG FAT ticket thing on her car bc the flimsy paper thing you hang from the honor system had fallen off the rear view mirror and someone just decided to slap a ticket on her car, the office was closed and impossible to get anyone on the phone. In the 20+ years I’ve been enjoying this trail I have never encountered anything like that. We had actually honored the system and PAID very generously more than we were suppose to. My friends were flying out the next day so they just laughed and said come get me in Alaska, I guess it’s a bad attitude to have but it was embarrassing and ended our hike on a very sour note it also showed the disorganized and corrupt system. The ticket wasn’t really a big deal in itself it’s the fact the system is so disorganized it actually punished people who honored it and more, It is just a damn shame honestly and the bathrooms smell rotten, are totally filthy and disgusting it’s enough to make you want to puke, you can smell the bathrooms as you walk to the honor system box, not exactly a warm welcome when you are smelling human waste on the start of your journey, completely overshadows the beauty at the entrance. The amount of people there has never been an issue for me even as its popularity has grown over the decades, most people JUST come to take pictures and swim at the main two waterfalls which are located at the beginning of the trail after that it’s pretty much clear so I’ve never really felt overcrowded, you don’t have to be very strong but you do need to be in somewhat decent shape to do the entire trail, you wouldn’t want to take this hike if you have any major structural issues but it’s designed to help give most people access to the first two waterfalls with a decking system so don’t be discouraged if there's a crowd. I actually enjoy seeing people off their phones and enjoying nature, it refreshing and everyone is minding their own. There is plenty of space to spread out and there’s actually more (less impressive but more) waterfalls on the entire hike and really gorgeous views. I have encountered young adults drinking but I’ve never been threatened by them. I’ve actually been more concerned for their safety this is not a place you want to be inebriated at. I’ve never had cell phone service and it’s a good ways to help if something dangerous happened. The famous Angola prison shares a border with these woods and you’re on your own when night falls, where’s the ticket slapping person when you really need them?!?! Ya know? My last and final gripe about this trail is the fact that it is closed atm, either I’ve really missed something in the last year and it’s become a partying place? Bc I can’t even imagine how it wouldn’t be a great place for social distancing activities. I’m appalled it is still closed, I literally just got back from California where I was able to enjoy any and all trails, hiking, boating, swimming, fishing, camping, etc. activities. It was all open and California isn’t messing around with this pandemic esp compared to some less liberal states. It just doesn’t make sense how I can go shopping at SAMS in the heart of the pandemic but I can’t take my family out into nature?! Where I have never even been anywhere near 6 feet to someone else on these trails, plenty of fresh air and space and here we are in August and it’s still closed? It’s not like we have many options around here to get outside and hike w/o dying of heat exhaustion, all while being properly social distanced, other then the 2 main waterfalls it is actually nearly impossible to gather in large crowds here and it doesn’t even make sense to gather in a crowd it’s hilly and treacherous there’s no cell reception so other than the small possibility of some minimal crowding near the start of the trail with people taking pictures and waterfall swimmers It’s not a place that invites crowding so this goes back to the defunct system managing the trails! And I have no doubt people would respect social distancing while here. Sooo DO NOT waste your gas money driving out here it is CLOSED.

Jolby Marcel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 9, 2020
Hiking

Hit this trail about a year back. Maybe it’s because we went when we did, but this was one of the most awful trails I’ve ever done. They had so many people, which is fine usually. I guess the amount of people attracted so many bugs? They had hundreds of sand flies. Swarming us like we disturbed a bee nest. I have friends that didn’t have the same experience, but i doubt I’ll return just in case. The elevation coming back to the parking lot is pretty rough. Save up your energy for that.