Clark Creek Primitive Trail

Clark Creek Primitive Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Woodville, Mississippi that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Bring cash in one dollar bill increments. There is an honor system setup for entrance fees to the trails. $4.00 per vehicle +$1 per person for more than two people. Even though it is an honor system, it is enforced by local Wildlife and Fisheries. The main access trail to the Clark Creek Natural Area is a well maintained gravel path between 6 and 10 feet wide. There are stairs installed as alternate routes down and up the steep inclines with resting areas/benches at intervals. There are also stairs at several waterfalls.

I really enjoy hiking here! If you’re looking for a workout, then stay on the pathways, but the easiest and much more fun way is to walk down the creek! There is so much to see and another way to keep cool!

Enjoy!

This is a great trail to hike. We have hiked the primitive trail multiple times preparing for our Philmont Trek. The last few hikes we wore 40 lb packs. if you go in the late spring and summer be prepared for the occasional snake and ticks.

This was a great trail. Pretty much perfectly laid out to give you relatively flat areas to rest in between strenuous ups and downs. Went in a counter-clockwise direction (we only saw one other couple on the primitive trail, and they were going clockwise). Getting down from the trail into the creek at the first waterfall was probably the most technically difficult part of the entire trail, so if you can accomplish that, you know you're good for the rest. Trail was marked pretty well for the most part - in some places it feels over-marked, but there were a few times I had to go 4-5 minutes without seeing anything and not being entirely certain just based upon terrain. Both of us wore Bean boots and feet stayed dry the entire time, and that included wading in the creek as much as we wanted. I'd bring at least 32 oz. of water per person - it was enough for me, but I can see it not being enough for someone else. Gnats were bad, bring repellent. We reapplied about 4 times during the hike as we felt them coming back. No ticks, might still be early. We're inexperienced hikers and had no issues other than the hill at the end back up to the trail head being brutal after a long day.

I personally love this trail. Accurately labeled "moderate" We had an inexperienced hiker among our group, and it was a challenge for her. We all had a great time, but you will get wet. prepare accordingly. The waterfalls are what make this trail a favorite of mine. If you are looking for a waterfall adventure, here it is. Lastly, I strongly reccomend bringing snacks, for the humans as well as the fur babies (if like myself, you hike with your dogs). Our group had 3 dogs with us, and luckily I brought dog food and protein bars, would have been a much harder trip if not for the snacks.

Great Hike...very strenuous. Take extra water. I froze 3 16oz bottles the night before. Used them all. If you hike the primitive trail and/or the creek bed....bring extra shoe for the drive home. You shoes will be dirty and wet. Best to bring a good pair of hiking boots or trail shoes. Bring some sort of trail snack. You will be glad you did. Last, absolutely no cell service...no text either.

great hike! expect to get wet. much harder of a hike than i anticipated. bring more water than you think you need!

loved this hike!

what an amazing day hiking! The waterfalls are beautiful, the views were fantastic, and the company was the best! Definitely will be back! Hard to believe this place is only 2 hours from New Orleans!

Great trail. Lots of scenery and elevation changes.

Great little day hike! Lots of explore with several little waterfalls. Terrain gets challenging and at points you have to search hard for the trail but definitely a gem for southern trails

better put your hiking boots on!

Good hike but can be kinda strenuous

Awesome hiking trails! This is a great place to go hiking! I have been a few times with friends but this time I took my 5 year old grandson to hike the creek and climb the rocks and he LOVED it! We are blessed to have something so cool so close to home. It took us a couple of hours to get there but it is so worth the drive (and the few "Gigi, are we almost there?" quips. Make sure to bring water, snacks and a hiking stick (you may find a hiking stick down the hill to the left of the restrooms at the entrance since we saw a caretaker throws ours there after we left them at the entrance for others to use). No matter how nice the weather is, you will need water and you will need a healthy snack for energy to get back to the entrance which is often uphill (we made our own trail mix with almonds, pecans, cashews, raisins, cranberries and dark chocolate chips). The hiking stick will come in handy when trying to cross the creek which you have to do many times if you're chasing the waterfalls and will also be useful when climbing hills. We used homemade insect repellent before going into the woods and we didn't get any bites or bugs. Also bring extra socks and shoes to keep in your vehicle. You will appreciate it when you don't have to drive home with wet socks and shoes. Enjoy what God has given us and what man has developed for our enjoyment!

Good day hike. Major downpour dampened the day but beautiful leaves for early December. Nice to see hills again as someone living in southern LA.

Intense workout but awesome!

Today was a perfect day for hiking this gorgeous trail! We primarily hiked along the creek which seemed much more adventurous than staying on the trail. If you choose the same option be ready to get your feet wet. The several waterfalls were lovely and the sound of the falling water quite soothing. I would consider the hike moderate intensity. We look forward to exploring again in the near future.

Best in the Baton Rouge vicinity. Challenging areas. Bring waterproof shoes. Easy to make a wrong turn. Nice waterfalls just minutes from the trailhead. Others are little more challenging to find. Directional signage little confusing. Took a couple Wrong turns but not that bad. Preparing for Humphreys Peek in Flagstaff next week. Kind of like comparing riding go-karts to driving the Daytona 500. I think my son and I are in for it. The altitude and difficulty at Humphreys is over the top compared to what we did today. Still, a great outing at Clark Creek. Recommend for all experience levels.

Awesome trail. Pictures don't seem amazing but the trail is.

Group of us went in middle of September. My first time, but they had been there several times. Saw a few of the waterfalls. They are not big falls, but lucky we have something like this in the Deep South. It was crowded because there was also a race that same day. Definitely will go again! Oh and bring river shoes!

Hiked this area three times and enjoyed it every time!

Not Moderate! Definitely Hard! But an awesome trail! Marked fairly well, and truly beautiful sites along the way. Bring a BUNCH of water! I went through an entire 2.5 L Camelbak bladder during the hike. All in all, my favorite hike in the state. This is a must try!

great daytime trail but hard to navigate and posted maps are almost impossible to navigate. been here more than 80 times in the past 30 years but still have not seen all 7 waterfalls, almost need a guide to know where to go. also no cell phone signal anywhere near here so google/other navigation apps are not useful seeing as there is no gps signal to locate your position.

Loved it and can't wait to go back! Next time I'll bring my hiking stick to help go up and down hills and water shoes.

Beautiful trail and several waterfalls. The Primitive trail should be rated hard in my opinion. In some parts we were literally rock climbing very steep ravines. Loved it but be sure to bring plenty of water!

Trail does not follow map on the app but is still an awesome hike. Couple of steep hills that feel great to climb. Bring water shoes to walk through creek and waterfall area if you don't like wet feet.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Absolutely love this place. Took my nephews here for there first real hike. They had the best time walking the creek and getting dirty. Great day!

Monday, May 08, 2017

first time like it me and my family

Sunday, May 07, 2017

I hiked this trail a couple days ago with my friend and I gota say the reviews on this trail were very inaccurate. The first part of this trail to the first 2 water falls is easy but wen you decide to keep going and make the entire loop you better be ready. We had to navigate a little bit to find some of the trail but none the less it was very fun and beautiful. If you think you can handle it definitely do the entire loop after the first few waterfalls cuz its worth it. If you do thou be sure to bring a light, map, and compass just in case you lose the trail. Watch for all the reflective markers!!

Sunday, May 07, 2017

It was tougher than I imagined, definitely a good workout!!! Lots of up and down! BEWARE OF TICKS! A friend who recently came warned me so we got tick repellent and covered ourself and even reapplied and we still came home with ticks! Also good to have a printed map with you, thankfully we had one but there were a few times we thought the trail was different than where it was.

Monday, April 24, 2017

I thought this trail was a little more difficult than expected. Bring water and snacks. The sights were beautiful, but try to go during the week when it's not as crowded.