Clark Creek Improved Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(130)
Clark Creek Natural Area

Clark Creek Improved Trail is a 2.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Woodville, Mississippi that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.8 miles Elevation Gain: 429 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

closed

NOTE: It has been reported this trail has temporary closures due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. An easy walk in and out, wide trails, well kept, easy access. Beautiful waterfalls! Gravel walking path 6-10 feet wide. Stairs for added on steep inclines. Stairs available at waterfalls for access to the bottom.

closed

Trail closed until further notice. Had vehicles and trailers blocking parking area with giant "PARK CLOSED" sign. Didn't stick around but I imagine if you do you'll get a trespassing ticket.

recorded Mm

bridge out

Awesome trail. Highly recommend it. Just follow the creek though much better views and easier walk. I s mm

Did the whole trail just forgot the record button till about half way in. Hiked it liked it. Papa and Juju

fee

This was a difficult trail but fun, none the less. My family and I actually walked the creek so we were climbing rocks, steep inclines and jumping boulders. I didnt know MS had this terrain available. It is definitely a trail for the more FIT. I would rate this as difficult and not moderate.

trail in more state of disrepair than in the past. needs some maintenance. but always a good workout.

We are new to hiking. I realized today trail difficulty is relative to 1. physical condition & 2. weather. September is still hot/humid in the deep South. That with our lack of of physical condition made this trail Difficult for us. 90° temps/high humidity and steep uphills exhausted us on this trail. The trail is well maintained with nice scenery. We consumed nearly all the H2O we packed in today. IF we hike this trail again it will be NOV-MAR. Pay the fee in the drop box and put the parking flag on you rearview mirror.

This is the trail that people in Louisiana call Tunica Falls. There are up to 8 waterfalls. We did 3.7 miles and found 4. Pretty sure the water flows year-round because it’s rainwater rather than snow melt. This would be a great activity even in the hot summer months. We did this hike in early September during a heat wave and enjoyed it thoroughly. The key is to start early. We arrived at the trailhead at 6:30am and left around 10:30am. The whole route was pretty shaded. Trail is not well marked. Since there are so many different ways to do this trail, I recommend going with someone that has the All Trails Pro app. I personally would never do this hike right after a big storm or in a heavy rain. I don’t like to get my boots too wet or muddy and this trail would definitely be a mud pit in the rain. As always when you hike, stay hydrated and bring extra water. I had a 1L bladder pack and drank about half. The parts of the trail that actually lead to most of the waterfalls is not really a trail it’s a creek with big boulders. So the majority of the waterfalls are accessible with moderate hiking rather than easy. I am looking forward to taking my son but will wait until he's 9 or 10. Smaller kids can go about a mile to see two waterfalls easily.

Horse flies are no joke around this time. Bug spray seemed to attract them instead of deter them.

Mon Dec 03 2018

i have visited Clark Creek on 4 separate occasions. it is one of my absolute favorite places to hike !! the improved trail is very open and well-directed while still keeping the full natural, woodland feel. i have never had a bad experience at Clark Creek and each time i’ve discovered another waterfall !! there is SO much opportunity and plenty of options for those of us who prefer a rugged, “off-road” adventure. i do not, however, recommend taking young children. it is strenuous in many places and would be better for a young adult & anyone who aspires to maintain their physical fitness !!

Sun Nov 11 2018

beautiful smaller waterfalls, we saw 3 of them on this trip. lots of friendly people on the trails. we will be coming back to do the primitive with the kids. had a great time it's a good leg workout

Thu Jul 19 2018

We drove to walk these trails and had a blast. well maintained and clear path markers. We enjoyed the fact that we could take our dogs on a leash. Beautiful scenery.

Wed Jun 27 2018

Sat Jun 23 2018

where do I start! saw the park ranger or whatever that grumpy looking sob is! I said hey how are you and I get back a barely audible grumble of something like good. then I find out i have a ticket on my windshield saying i needed to put money in an envelope then in the honor box! if I do that, where is the honor? its a box with a receipt you yourself do the work for! also this is a natural area not a state park so why did I have to pay for a visit in nature? trails were not marked as I could see and no one looked happy! I started off like all the trails in Tennessee with anyone you pass, you or they will say hey or hi or something, 90 something percent of everyone we passed never said a word. doesn't look like a good time to me and it almost wasn't. I left irritated and not happy to actually almost see something neat in Mississippi but alas it was not good! I even saw some parked almost 2/10 of a mile out! nope not ever will I return here, go see rodney or Windsor ruins free and nice, plus they are marked lol! oh and do something with that extra 5 I had to throw in like buy a board for the one missing on the steps

Tue Jun 05 2018

Nice get away from the landscape of the southeastern region of the US. Nice in the fall or rainy spring.

Wed Mar 14 2018

such an awesome hike!

Thu Dec 21 2017

Clark Creek Trail Clark Creek WMA has two separate trails within the park. The first is a well trafficked and well maintained trail with stairs at steeper points on the hills. The second trail, the primitive tail is about a mile down the first trail and is called primitive for a reason. The second tail runs along the creek and has little to no marking other than small rectangular reflective yellow strips on a few of the trees along the trail. Waterfalls were quite deep but with very little water-flow as it was fed by a small creek. After heavy rains it can be seen that the water levels rise significantly. The hills are constant on the trail, either hiking up or down with constant gradient which makes for a moderate difficulty. Witnessed dozens of grey squirrels and approximately ten chipmunks and was flagged by a startled white-tailed deer slightly off the primitive trail.

Mon Nov 27 2017

If you go to Clark Creek I would strongly advise you to go during the week while children (of all ages) are in school. If you want a good hike with some challenges I suggest you get a map and hike the primitive trail, it should take you about four to five hours. There are plenty uphill and downhill challenges, some areas you may have to slide or scoot down on your rear. It’s quite a surprise of a hike if you aren’t expecting anything more than moderate, some spots are downright tough. November 25th 2017 was my third and last trip there. The gravel on the improved trail is not easy to walk on, especially where the grade is steep. I like the primitive trail and the creek trail but it’s sad how domesticated the area has become. I like how difficult the primitive tail is, its good practice to stay in shape for long hikes but I believe that many don’t understand the difference between hiking the creek trail, the improved trail and the primitive trail. The primitive trail is about 75% in the woods and the creek is, in the creek and the improved trail is nearly all gravel. My last two trips there were very disappointing as I passed several youths with boom boxes and sports drinks, which were tossed into the woods. Dogs were left to wonder and children were pulling up the vegetation.

Tue Oct 31 2017

Great day out doing woodland photography. Some STEEP areas. Walking the creek is easy. Bring LOTS of WATER and snacks. Very nice trail for woodland and waterfall photography. First waterfall about 15 minute hike

Sat Oct 21 2017

Following the creek is an easy hike. If you follow the trail loop it is a bit more challenging. Some steep parts with narrow parts of the trail. We found six of the seven waterfalls, some were running dry. Bring water, the two of us went through three liters plus a few water bottles. Creek is the more popular attraction and you’ll see plenty of people and dogs. We didn’t see anyone doing the main trail until we came back up the creek by the three front waterfalls. Definitely worth it, earlier the better for us.

Wed Oct 11 2017

Beautiful land with a challenging hike over some steep ridges that lead down to some very nice waterfalls.

Fri Oct 06 2017

We had a great time! It was a little tough in some spots but manageable. We kind of did a zig zag between the Improved and Primitive trails and even went off course to explore a little. The scenery is beautiful!

Wed Aug 16 2017

Great trail. Well maintained and awesome scenery. Some of the steepest grades I've seen in South MS/ LA makes for one heck of a workout. Print out some maps ahead of time and avoid the "prime" times to avoid the teenagers. I will be going back.

Sat Jul 08 2017

My sisters and I completed this hike as our last stop on a MS waterfall tour. The trails were well maintained although I second the suggestion from another hiker to bring a printed map. The stairs and trails were well maintained. Gorgeous scenery as you hike the creek bed. Bathrooms were clean and appreciated.