Brushy Creek Loop

Brushy Creek Loop is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gloster, Mississippi that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

So the AllTrails directions sometimes leaves a bit to the imagination, I guess depending on your platform (iPhone, Samsung, etc). The directions I got for this trail took me to a gate & a barn. After asking some neighbors, we figured out what road I most likely needed to take & I arrived at “a trail head.” Not the one shown on the AllTrails site, but close enough. If you decide to make this trail from the spot I did, turn AT the SIGN that says “Brushy Creek Guest Ranch 1 Mile”. I didn’t go down the road to the Guest Ranch road, so don’t know if that is where AllTrails intended the directions to take me. I suspect since cell signal is hit/miss, it made my phone’s GPS off. By the way...there are few spots with good cell signal in this trail! It took me a minute to find the trail once I arrived because you have to cross the creek right away whether you go the south/west route like I did, or the south/east route. Suggest taking water shoes because water is about 2” too deep to wade wearing mid-high hiking boots & the gravel is a little rough on tender feet. Clear cold water, tho. Creek is beautiful! Trail is lightly traveled by hikers, but heavily traveled by equestrians. I saw 2 riders when I started, but NONE on the whole trail until almost back to starting point when I met about a dozen in 3 different groups heading out. Trail is pretty chewed up in spots from hooves (muddy, punched with hoof holes, etc). Take note the NPS’s idea of a “white diamond” is rather vague. Most cases it looks like they just scraped the tree bark into a diamond shape & called it good enough. There are only a few actual sign posts & one says it’s for the white diamond trail, but it actually isn’t. Don’t know what they meant there, but it’s confusing. Recommend following the trail map rather than the signs until you get around to the north swing of the loop. Didn’t try the Red Diamond trail (yet), but it’s shorter. Once you cross the 2nd creek crossing, the trail splits. One side is RED & follows the creek north-ish. I stayed on the WHITE, which took me thru a close/creepy section. If you’re lucky (& have a strong heart), maybe you’ll get to enjoy the sudden & totally unexpected chorus of a flock of hoot owls. Once you reach the primitive camp clearing next to another part of the creek, to continue, stay on the road for about a mile. The trail map says the trail goes into the woods, but it wasn’t clearly marked & there are so many new trails cut by the equestrians that it just wasn’t worth the effort to figure out. The NPS road is cool, tho. Once you get up to the top of the ridge, the trail turning left is clearly marked. At that point is where I started seeing equestrians from the Guest Ranch. You’re only about 1.5 to 2 miles back to start. Terrain is nicely varied & interesting. All in all, I enjoyed it very much & will be back to backpack/camp in the primitive area down by the creek. It’s a good trail to train/do a shakedown for longer backpacking trips.

Great trail, but you'll need some notes.

First, it is not private property! There is a private Ranch of the same name that abuts it and frequents the trail, but the trail itself is a part of the National Forest.

Here's a map: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5213327.pdf

The main trail is blazed by white diamonds. It is not the best blazing. There is also a red diamond trail that shortcuts around, I've never followed it purposefully.

For the purpose of notes, I assume hikers head south from the trailhead to start, not east.

Note 1: Look where the trail meets up with Forest Road 156A. Past that, when the trail reenters the forest, is a creek crossing. A downed tree as of a few weeks ago blocked this path. I had to walk across a downed tree to get over the brush. I did this with a pack, it shouldn't be too bad but it isn't "normal" trailing either.

Note 2: Just past that crossing from note 1, the trail splits. Taking a left, the way the white diamond sign (a little brown fiberglass "stick plank" thing about 4ft high) says to go will shortcut an unlisted trail on the map along the creek back to the beginning. This is what happened to whoever mapped this trail on here; you can see the backtrack trail. Ignore this and continue south/east to meet up with Forest Road 156 D that heads north.

Note 3: the trail splits off 156D into the woods to join up with 156D6. I attempted this "woods party" years ago but it was a brutal trek through briars I only got through with a heavy Carhart coat, work gloves, and a Kabar knife. Eventually a downed tree / brush made it impassable and I had to hike back. Check this out at your own risk, otherwise stick to 156 D until the last western leg.

Note 4: That "last western leg" is a bit easy to miss and walk past onto 156D10. If you see a big metal structure...thing...you went too far, turn around.

Saturday, March 18, 2017