Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Black Creek Trail via Fairley Bridge Landing

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(54)
De Soto National Forest

Black Creek Trail via Fairley Bridge Landing is a 10.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Wiggins, Mississippi that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.1 miles Elevation Gain: 790 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hiked about 4 miles out and back on 5/23/20. The trail was a little overgrown but pretty easy to keep to. It was mostly shaded the whole time. There were lots of very large flies following us the whole way — which super sucked. We also found 5-6 ticks on us. The highlight was seeing a 5ft rattlesnake laying right beside the trail.

Nice out and back!!

Great trail for Mississippi! Extremely easy and flat. I would consider this more of a nature walk. We saw some turtles along the river which was cool to see. We only went about halfway. Very Kid friendly. A little difficult to find the trail head. People should also not leave their trash ;)

Awesome trail. Took 14 boys from my scout troop. Great prep trail for high adventure scout camps. We will be back!

Nice hike. 1.5 out 3 total back to car. Great nature break....Spotted two young white-tail and a large black snake.

A group of Mississippi hikers and I did this trail, Fairley Bridge to Janice Lansing. l’m quite the optimist but this trail was a challenge. It IS overgrown, grass and scrub brush up to your knees. I didn’t really find it too problematic, it just slowed us down. There was one spot on the trail near the Red Hills that was overgrown with brush/trees enough it obscured the trail. We pushed through and it opened back up to tolerable. About 5 miles into the twilight the first night, we stopped just short of the first accessible sandbar. Camped close to the trail near a bridge. Day two we did about 9 miles through the wilderness. The wilderness is far less overgrown with long stretches of pine needle trail cover. Saw a family of otter. Crossed the tree bridge (no rope, had to balance that one). Camped on a sandbar after a welcomed soak in the river. Last day shorter hike out 4-5 miles. There was very little water between sand bar camp (flagged “good camp site” on map) and exiting the wilderness. Probably one accessible water source, but it’s sketchy at best even with a Sawyer. The most grueling part is the road walk back to Janice, but there’s a flushing toilet and potable water that makes up for it a bit. Saw four snakes, all on our last day. One black snake and three copperheads. All in all, I’d do this again after the trail has been recleaned (I’d do the Wilderness section tomorrow if I had the energy). Note to hikers, do not attempt this hike without a Sawyer and electrolyte source. You’ll be glad you did.

a bit overgrown but thats just fine. good deep south forest trail. saw a beautiful black racer.

Trail is very overgrown and some areas do not seem safe. Be cautious in these areas for snakes. Large banana spiders everywhere. Without these conditions I think this trail has great potential.

We will definitely do this trail again, with some more time and cooler weather. It’s a good hike and worth the experience. So, parts of this trail is overgrown and others are fine. Towards the end it looks like a controlled burn was done so it looks kinda grim for a short time. This trail has plenty of shade, spiders, and armadillos. I don’t think we got to the end of the trail because a creek washed a gap in the trail. Yes this trail has a lot of bugs so bring bug repellent and reapply every so often. Because areas are a bit overgrown ticks are going to find the first person through the trail.

Trail is extremely overgrown and mosquitoes are terrible. I had to turn around 4/10 of a mile in due to unsafe hiking conditions. I was with an new hiker and i am not very seasoned, but we were too afraid of snakes with the overgrown grass and bushes knee high.

Sat May 11 2019

Beautiful trail through a few thickets of brush, pine forest, low lands with southern and bigleaf magnolias, oaks, cypress is also visible in certain parts of Black Creek. You will cross many branches that connect to Black Creek. Great place to swim if you're not afraid to go off trail or climb down a slope into the creek. From Janice landing to Fairly Bridge landing the trail is somewhat unkept although still marked well enough, its true some markers were on trees that have fallen. So pay attention. Lots of active nocturnal critters in the wilderness here. Part of the allure to me personally is how unkept and seemingly low traffic the area is. Be prepared to duck under and walk through bushes and/or occasional trees that has fallen into the path. Bugs can be ruthless in this south. Beautiful country. Moderate difficulty.

Fri Apr 05 2019

This trail is just part of the overall Black Creek Trail.

Good cardio workout. It’s a good precursor to future hikes elsewhere. It’s God’s beauty of South Mississippi. A few areas were muddy but I wore my waterproof hiking boots and took my hiking poles; so it was no problem. Also, the hiking poles assisted in pushing away briars and bushes. I will definitely do again because it will assist in preparing me for other hikes.

Wed Feb 27 2019

Nice hike. A little sloppy in the rain but I was able to do 4 miles in a little over an hour hiking. Bridges very slippery when wet. I almost ended up in the creek. A nice walk in the woods

Sun Oct 14 2018

This trail has so much potential if they would run a bush hog through it every now and then to keep the overgrowth in check. We had to turnaround after about a mile and a half in because the underbrush just got to high for my kids and dogs.

Sat May 05 2018

This is actually a point to point trail covering some 42 miles from Fairly Bridge Landing at the southern most trail head to Big Creek landing west of Brooklyn, MS. This trail runs roughly along Black Creek, which is a large creek, would considered a river in most areas. That being said, it covers a lot of low lying swampy areas, when it rains it gets wet. The creek and its many tributaries are very prone to flash flooding. It can be perfect one day and near impassable the next. I just completed the 16.5 mile trek from Fairly Bridge Landing to Janice Landing. It was a perfect hike. But getting your feet wet on a perfect hike on this trail is probable. If you are expecting to see breathtaking overlook views, not there. But if you are an outdoors person and a nature lover you will absolutely love this hike. No heavy traffic, but you are likely to see other hikers. Pay attention to the water level at Brooklyn. When I left, the water level was just over 5 ft and falling.

Sun Oct 15 2017

Not a good trail AT ALL!! About 1 mile in bridge is out & no way around water so had to turn around.

Sat Sep 30 2017

Definitely not good for biking. Trails were boring and not well maintained. No inclines or excitement to it.

Thu Jun 08 2017

Not a good trail. Do not go here after it rains, the trails will be completely washed out. Went out there a day after rain and made it about 300 feet before water was everywhere.

Tue May 16 2017

This trail was very poorly marked, the very beginning was ok, very flat & easy, but when you hit the road in, there is no visible trail, so it appeared to be a short 3/4 mile treck, if there was more to it, we didn't see it. should have been better marked & maintained. I really had high hope for this trail

Thu Nov 03 2016

I will be hiking this trail come December , if anyone has any advice or great spots I should check out I would love to hear from you. also does this trail loop or is it a "A to B" trail. I have many questions about this trail, and if someone would help me with some questions I would be most appreciated. or if you know of a better more nicer trail I would love to hear from you. thank you in advance

Mon May 23 2016

Backpacked overnight from Fairley Bridge Recreation Area to Andrew Jackson Interpretive Trail. It was a nice trail. The weather was really good. Maybe a little on the humid side. Most of the trail is well marked. There was one section I didn't see any blazes. Didn't see any people on the trail other than our group. There were a few ups and downs towards the beginning, but most of the trail was pretty flat. The first few miles there isn't any water, but after that it wasn't to hard to find some to filter. Didn't see much wildlife except one armadillo and three snakes. Lots of ticks though.

Sun Apr 03 2016

Great hike, this was my first hike and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Trail was kept clean no other hikers, very secluded.

Tue Apr 07 2015

Enjoyable day hike, the landing of course was extremely buggy so bring your spray. Lots of poison ivy at he beginning, but faded out quickly. My kids loved paying in the water and it was pretty shady through must of the trail.

Tue Jan 27 2015

what's up guys did hike this weekend. its about 25 min drive from wiggins. It have just rained so for the first hr i was above ankles in water. took about 2 1/2 hour to finish. i set up camp at a small over look. Not much wildlife didn't see any other campers / hikers. Peaceful. I would say pretty easy hike. maybe 50 ft biggest climb.