Black Creek Hiking Trail

Black Creek Hiking Trail is a 42.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near New Augusta, Mississippi that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

paddle sports

My 3 kids (age 10 and under) and I did this hike the week of Thanksgiving 2017. We did a there & back starting at Janice Landing and hiking to US 49 before turning back. We stashed food and water on US 49 to keep our weight to a minimum and did this in a 3 day 2-night trip. We camped at 31.02766 -89.09828, which is on a nice high bluff about 50 yards off the trail. This made for a REALLY long second day of about 20 miles, but was necessary as we got a bit of a late start the first day.
The trail is decently marked although we did go off trail twice by mistake. There are a lot of hunting trails that intersect where its easy to suddenly find yourself on the wrong trail. I used an app on my phone that used my GPS location to tell me where I was, which was helpful when we went off trail. The biggest bummer on this trail is that it doesnt have mile markers. You can only use landmarks on a topo map to estimate where you are. A good topo map and a compass is a must. Make sure you know how to use them as we passed two ladies who had no map and thought they were on a different 0.5 trail, when they were actually a mile or two away from their car.
The trail follows the river for much of the it, which provides for decent scenery. I thought the most beautiful part of the hike was being on the top of the hills. The only wildlife we saw was a flock of turkeys and a couple of hunting dogs. There were very few people on the trail.

Lowland trail through pine forest and some tall grassy open areas. Topography not all that exciting but it is a nice quiet path great for a relaxing afternoon hike.

Pretty, but would've been better without the trash strewn around the trailhead area.

Monday, April 24, 2017

The scenery is beautiful, but it's not labeled properly. I didn't see any mile markers on the trail. It was just okay for me.

Monday, November 28, 2016

Hiked from Old Hwy 49 to Anderson Loop-Government rd. 319. It is a beautiful pine forest hike with few water shed ravines. I found it to be an easy hike. It had been cleared recently.

Monday, June 20, 2016

This trail was a nice surprise in Southern Mississippi. It was never too difficult, but I recommend long pants and maybe boots as the grass is rather talk and the snakes plentiful! Also, it was a tough task finding the start of this trail. Overall, definitely worth it!

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Good trail, though I only went 5 miles that day. There seems to be some confusion about how long it is, as I've seen 16.6 miles, 23 miles, and now 40 miles? In any case, it has been cleared since Katrina, as some of the older reviews seem to have been written while it was mostly impassable. There are some wet areas if it rained recently, but the trail is pretty well built up in most places and planks were put down in the worst swampy areas. Wear pants and hiking boots and they shouldn't be a problem. There were also a few camp sites at the trail head that anyone could use without charge, so I plan on going back one of these days for a longer trip.

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Trail is well kept up. Took the scenic trail. Hiked in about three miles. Little disappointed in the views. The trail follows the creek but very rarely can you actually see the creek just to thickness of brush between trail and creek. Enjoyed hike. Will do again.

Wednesday, September 02, 2015

It was enjoyable. However, the very beginning is very wet and most of the trail is overgrown. I would wear long pants and waterproof shoes or you will regret the consequences. However, the water features I saw were very pretty (I only went 4 miles in). The dog also did great.

Monday, February 02, 2015

I've only hiked two sections so far. NW and SW from Janice Landing around 4 miles each way.

Southwest from that point is a wilderness trail offering moderate exertion in the Red Hills. The trail to the northwest, however, is very easy and fairly well groomed.

I've mapped out the trail in my maps section using gps data from one of my hikes and a couple of other people's posted tracks, combined with routes based on map data to fill in the blanks.

The parts I've hiked in both directions are well blazed with zero chance of losing your way. I've met a few hunters and other hikers on the trail, and aim to complete the trail as opportunity permits.

Friday, October 31, 2014

Lovely trail, hiked the first 10 miles starting at the Big Creek Landing Recreation Area in late October 2014. It's wide, well maintained and has plenty of stream crossings to replenish water, be sure to have some method of treating your water. For this section a 1 liter (2 quart) bottle and a Steripen Adventurer did the job. The terrain is pretty flat for the most part but there are a few small hills. Easy in that regard.

Saturday, August 02, 2014

Love this trail.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Ran the trail day after hard rain, creek crested at 8.2"...lots of water crossing and deep ones. Maybe better in dry season. Saw only two day hikers on 32 mile stretch

Monday, June 04, 2012

Not worth it. Trail looks like it is maintained by a joyriding 4-wheeler once in a blue moon. It's more challenging of your patience than your body.

Thursday, April 05, 2012

great intermediate trail. well marked, mild terrrain and elevation. beautiful overlooks along river. ample camping and water supply.

Sunday, January 08, 2012

Took the trail from FS319-G to Ashe Lake Road today. This section has a couple of ups and downs, but mostly follows the bluff above the creek. There are only a couple of spots to get down to the creek. Well marked and maintained. Hunters were present in the area.

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Had a blast, good camping.

recorded hard