Bethel Mountain Bike Trail

easy 52 reviews

Bethel Mountain Bike Trail is a 9.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Saucier, Mississippi that features a river. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.2 miles Elevation Gain: 255 feet Route Type: Loop

This trail system consists of multiple interlocking trails (Bethel, Couch, Briar Patch, Badlands, and Rattlesnake) that vary from clay to sand and from evergreen forests to pine savannas. Note: Hunters may be present during hunting season.

Deer Flies and Wood Ticks are thicker than Wendy’s Frosties. I ramped it up from Picaridin to 20% DEET to 100% DEET and still pick ticks off me after hiking five or six miles. With the heat and humidity already as a detractor, having ticks use DEET as an appetizer is a game changer for me. Seriously, I’m not hitting any trails in south Mississippi again until later in the fall. I’ve logged almost 3,000 miles with my backpack on various trails across the country since Feb 2017 and the insects here are sucking the fun out of it. I’m not from here, but have been coming here since 1986 and lived here for two years before, so I’m well aware of the weather and insects. But they’ve always responded to repellent before. Not now. I lived in the Canal Zone in Panama and used to live in the jungle and nothing there would resist DEET. The DeSoto National Forest is tick central right now. Make sure you do a full body check after being on the trails. It’s brutal.

Bug's...very fast

Good place to just get out in nature, but not very much variation in the landscape at all

I like the trails. been biking on it about a dozen times. wish we could camp though. Be nice to hike it all and camp.

Went mountain biking on the trails for Memorial Day. There's a nice map at the parking lot, and a few maps along the way. Most of the trails are easy and fun. Definitely bring bug spray, as some of the wooded/shaded areas were absolutely awful and miserable with bugs. Enjoyed how remote it felt. Trails were clean. Will definitely go back.

Awesome trail and very well maintained. Totally enjoyed our first time on the loop and had a blast. Looking forward to coming back.

Easy but exciting trail due to constant change of vegetation and many little curves. We didnt see much wild live other than butterflies and birds hut still an interesting trail system.

Mon Feb 04 2019

Really nice trail , well marked and easy to follow . Watch out for mountain bikers .

Fri Aug 03 2018

Remote beautiful trail system. You can bike it year round due to the Gulf Coast weather. Good up and downs with tight turns. Terrain differs as you scale thru different ecosystems, but just be careful in the more warmer months for snakes, spiders, and biting flies.

Wed Nov 22 2017

Mon Aug 21 2017

Beautiful trails HOWEVER during the run we almost stepped on 2 Cotton Mouth snakes and were relentlessly bit by flies. With that said bring bug spray and be very mindful. I won't be running this one again.

Mon Jun 12 2017

Rode with my 7 year old boy, he had his 20 inch BMX and I had my 26 inch Giant MTB. We both had a great time together, it was our first Trail, we really enjoyed it looking forward to coming back soon. the trail is well kept, clean and easy to ride. Great Trail for a beginner.

Fri Jun 09 2017

First time visiting this trail and it was right up my alley. The description is accurate. Trail is easy to follow and there are signs/markers every few miles or so to help guide you along the way. There is an outhouse/restroom facility (no running water) and a fire pit. The trail had a few wet spots but nothing you can't hop over.

Sun Apr 30 2017

Very nice and good scenery. It is more like 10 to 11 miles around the entire trail.

Tue Mar 28 2017

Great trails, well maintained!

Sun Mar 12 2017

Super fun ride today with my son and his pals. A little tough for one of the boys, but two of them pushed me around 11 miles of varied single track. I can't wait to one day do this course at a race pace.

Fri Jan 27 2017

Several trails here. Came today with my Mastiff. Next time I'll either run it or bike. Well kept trails with lots of turns and terrain changes.

Mon May 02 2016

Awesome trails. I host an annual Ultra 50k and 50 mile on these trails. Next race will be April 22, 2017. We are always on the same weekend. Check out Ultra Sign Up for updated registration or come see us at Northshore Running Club on Facebook.

Sun Feb 21 2016

I have only been through half of this place so far on my new Surly fat bike and that's mostly on the northern trails. This place is pretty cool. I'm an athletic person who has let their cardio go down the pooper and my 4 and 6 mile rides haven't been to difficult. I e had to stop a few times after some climbs, but there certainly wasn't anything too difficult to manage by any means. I came back with my brother who is in great shape, and he rode his bmx bike right behind me the whole way, so it's definitely possible to ride a small tired, rigid frame bike here. It's worth noting that the northern trails are more open and sandy than the western side trail which has more trees, roots, and tighter turns. I found that more interesting personally, but to each his own. I'll be here a lot more often coming from Ocean Springs.

Sun Dec 27 2015

Guns everywhere. Great trails, but I'm not going riding in the same space 40 men are in the field with rifles and dogs. Next time I'll make sure it's not hunting season.

Sun Jun 21 2015

I did Briar Patch and Couch trails today. The weather was pretty good with overcast cloud but a bit humid. There were only a couple other riders to watch for coming in the opposite direction. It's best to have a flashing bike light when riders are coming in the opposite direction because the paths are only 2-3 ft wide with trees close together. It's kind of fun and competitive to dodge around the tree trunks and bushes. Be careful not to get caught from low broken tree trunks in the middle of the trails. They will know your feet off your pedals if you don't pay attention.

Sat Nov 01 2014

we did the south bethel trail today and it was great. my 8,11, and 12 year old did awesome, but it was a little rough for my 6 year old. we cant wait to go back and ride again.

Tue Jan 17 2012

Did the Badlands today to finish mapping out all of the Bethel trails on my GPS. The Badlands can be tough in the summer. It has steady uphills without shade. Couch trail is still my favorite. I plan to upload the tracks.