Superior Hiking Trail: Split Rock Ridge

Superior Hiking Trail: Split Rock Ridge is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Beaver Bay, Minnesota that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and running and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 646 feet Route Type: Loop

This section of the Superior Hiking trail is currently closed for deer hunting until Nov 24th. I rerouted and hiked along the lake and the Gitchi-gami trail. Climbed up to the Corundum mine and got some spectacular views. Beautiful views despite the ongoing snow :D

actually started at split rock light house. I didnt go directly into the trail stuck mostly to the shore line but it's a beautiful view no matter what season. was here a year a go in the summer and now during the fall the colors are absolutely stunning

closed

Beautiful water features! The trail on the east side was a little wet and muddy due to all recent rain. Colors were hard to describe as they were just unbelievable! Tent site was right on the river and just perfect.

many waterfalls to see, especially hiking on the west side. lots of roots to step over. west side of trail is mostly covered so very muddy today. east side was dry and has a great view of the lake towards the end.

bridge out

Wet today due to rain but a great hike with lots of water features. We were able to cross river easily about.3 miles down river.

Awesome! The trail is nicely defined and along the river. The first half has some incline and lots of tree roots to climb over. Coming down the other side, there are loose small rocks in a few areas. The last stretch is paved. Some reviews commented on it being muddy. There were a few spots, but mostly dry. There’s a beautiful view of the Lake Superior and the green hillside. I would definitely do this hike again!

bridge out

I trail ran this today. The bridge is out but took shoes off and easily crossed, less than knee deep. There are a lot of roots on this, and some steep short segments that I had to hike instead of run. But, overall loved it! Minimal bugs.

bridge out

We’ve done this trail a number of times. Just did it again yesterday which was our 7 year old grandson’s first long hike. Yes the bridge is out but when water is low you can cross the river. Or turn around and loop back no problem! Must be careful but we all made it with no problem! Common sense, good shoes and mindful walking, anyone really can do it.

We didn’t make it far. Gabriella was wearing flip flops and we encountered a big mud puddle that was just the excuse we needed to turn around. From the little bit we hiked it was great.

Great hike. I wish the bridge was fixed but we just crossed the river carefully.

We did this trail in October and May and I loved it both times. There are a lot of waterfalls and fun places to get distracted by. If you like running trails I would highly recommend. The Split Rock at the top of the southeast side of the trail is a worthwhile destination. Downsides, both times of year it was super muddy to start off, but it gets better after the first mile-ish. The bridge is also out and has been at least since October, 2018 so don't expect a loop. Still a great trail, regardless!

bridge out

river can be wet foot crossed when tame.

The second bridge has been out for two years so it is no longer a loop but a beautiful trail anyway

Did this trail in the Spring of 2016, prior to the bridge being washed out. Gorgeous trail with amazing views. Can’t wait until the bridge is repaired to do again with the kids!

Bridge is out at the end. We turned around at spur lookout, which is about 1/4-1/3 mile south of Split Rock.

bridge out

Nice trail, varying conditions. The first half of the trail is super muddy right now. The bridge is out so it's more of an out and back trail at the moment. Great views.

bridge out

beautiful! perfect for snowshoeing on a sunny day! you will see many friendly deer! took us about 3 hours to complete.

I snowshoed the day trail with a pup in tow and had a great day!

Did this trail with snowshoes. It was beautiful, but the snow is quite deep in places. Made it especially difficult where no one had blazed the trail. The bridge at the top of the loop is out. We crossed the frozen river, but was nervous about it. The full loop has great river valley views and long views of Superior at the end. If I did it again in current conditions, I would turn back at the bridge. That avoids crossing the frozen river and the really deep snow on the north side. Plus, the river valley is what’s best on this hike.

Mon Oct 08 2018

Went hiking here in September, trail starts along the split rock river and takes you up the left (west) side the whole way until you cross. Bridge was still out but the river narrowed enough for us to cross with ease. Once you cross you’ll hike for a bit and then come up on a ridge with views of Superior.. definitely a good ending to the hike!!

Sun Oct 07 2018

Never been on the trail before but really enjoyed the hike. The trail is in a little disarray with several planks requiring maintenance. Also, this trail is no longer a loop as the bridge to cross the river has been removed so now the hike is out and back. I still think this is a worthwhile hike but I am disappointed it is no longer a loop (for now anyway).

Sat Jul 07 2018

Muddy but great trail with some challenge