Learn more

Superior Hiking Trail: Split Rock Ridge is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Beaver Bay, Minnesota that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and running and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 5.0 mi Elevation gain 646 ft Route type Loop
Dogs on leash Kid friendly Hiking Walking Running Forest River Views Waterfall Wildlife Muddy
Waypoints (0)
Photos (312)
Recordings (150)
Completed (293)
Andy Crom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 14, 2020
View Andy's Recording
Colby L
HikingBridge outGreat!Muddy

Most underrated trail on the north shore. Currently the bridge is out but you can cross the river at multiple locations. So many waterfalls and rapids. Couldn’t count them all. Can’t wait to go back!

Katie T
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 11, 2020
HikingBridge outRocky

Beautiful trail throughout this section! Once I got to the crossing with the washed out bridge, I was convinced I needed to see the other side, and carried my dog across in about knee deep water (I’m almost certain I passed better crossing spots). 100% worth the soggy shoes for the view of Lake Superior at the top! I spotted 3 snakes winding through along near some campsites, and a black bear less than 10 feet from the trail near 61 after the stair descent. Lots of roots that may be hard for some to navigate without twisting an ankle.

Martin Lien
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 8, 2020

My wife and I did this hike on our anniversary in May of this year. We only went part way to the little falls and back, but oh was it beautiful! Sometimes the small ones are the best. Nice little hike. We to do the whole thing next time. We are planning to go up again end of September. We absolutely love the North Shore.

Jack Fischer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
View Jack's Recording
Kathryn Barlow
HikingBridge outRocky

Beautiful hike along the Split Rock River. Bridge is out so it’s an out and back rather than the loop. Our 11 and 9 year olds handled it just fine but may be tough in some sections for very young children.

Sue Henn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 4, 2020
HikingBridge outMuddyRocky

We actually loved all the falls, river and hiking challenges. Getting to actual Split Rocks was nice but we weren’t sure what to do next so we turned around and retraced our steps to get back. But we were supposed to cross river? It was still a great hike.

Maria Licciardone Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 27, 2020

Awesome!!!!!

View Maria's Recording
Lena Fox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 26, 2020
HikingBridge outRocky

River was pretty low and calm, but still amazing views and places to stop and listen to the rushing water or dip your feet in. I like a hike with some good climbs and this was just enough for me. Crossing the river was extremely easy- but I assume that is because of how low the river is. Breathtaking view at the end, definitely go clockwise around the loop. At about mile 4.5, there is a superior hiking trail sign that tells you how far to go to Beaver Bay, but you are meant to continue on the spur that will take you back to your car. Here, just hike the twenty feet or so up towards beaver bay to get a view in the opposite direction of split rock light house and the coast- also breathtaking. Thoroughly enjoyed- even when the trail breaks from the river it is so peaceful walking to the sound of the wind through the trees. Extra bonus- in the very last paved stretch you can head down to the beach and dip your feet in superior!

Joe G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 25, 2020
View Joe's Recording
Ashley Groh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 20, 2020
HikingGreat!

Stunning trail. So many fun places to jump off the trail and check out waterfalls and the riverside. The bridge is still out but there is a little path on the backside of the broken part that leads down to some rocks. We found it pretty manageable to cross using those rocks to get across.

Bun Navigators
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 15, 2020

Honestly! I dont know how the shat isnt more popular. It is a fantastic trail with great views, feels remote yet next to small towns for supplies, wild life, free camping right off the road... etc. it's one of those trails where I almost hesitate to write a review because it's *that* good. This loop is good because there are campsites right off the trail you can stay at for multiple days for free right on the river. I think it's about a 2mile walk in which is pretty far but if you stay multiple days it would be worth it.

Angie Cavier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 13, 2020

Beautiful landscape and quiet trail...I enjoyed it very much but do not try to take with you a 7 years old...lol she was done after we crossed the bridge hahahahaha The bridge is down but we took oir shoes off and crossed to the other side...not recommended cause the rocks are slippery but that's what we did It is a moderate trail but it is worth it once you are at the top of the hill overlooking the stunning Lake Superior

Mike Zwack
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
View Mike's Recording
Elise D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingBridge outGreat!

This is definitely going to be among my all-time favorite trails. It’s a beautiful hike along the Split Rock River for most of it. The bridge is out but it’s not impossible to cross if you’re careful, though it’s not advised, of course. There are enough rocks to cross, just avoid the wet ones because they’re VERY slippery! A nice loop if you choose to cross the river, and a nice out and back if you don’t. It’s about the same distance no matter how you try it. We only crossed paths with four other pairs of hikers along the way so it’s nice and quiet. Bugs weren’t too bad, as long as we were moving they left us alone and even when we were still they weren’t terrible. Overall a great trail, this is definitely one I’ll be visiting again!

Lily Fesler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 6, 2020
HikingBridge outGreat!

Great trail! We got some great views of the lake from up on the ridge, and there were several spots along the trail where we could swim in the river. We only passed two other groups along the way. We also had no trouble crossing the river where the bridge was out.

Rick Sather
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

Awesome. Nice trail, waterfalls and view of Lake Superior for a little bit.

View Rick's Recording
Eric Romano
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 27, 2020
HikingBridge outRocky

Signs warn that the bridge is out however depending on the river level, you can easily cross. Trial is well maintained but ton of rocks so tough on the ankles. Beautiful to walk along the river and then end on top of the ridge and see a nice panoramic view of the lake and forest.

Katie Haas
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful views along the river.

View Katie's Recording
K JHN
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingBridge outMuddy

Excellent trail; lots of hills, roots, waterfalls, a section of mud and beauty all around us. We didn’t cross the river where the bridge is out because I’m 5’4 and the river was too high for me to cross safely. It’s an amazing trek if you appreciate nature’s gym...beautiful!