New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Superior Hiking Trail: Cascade River Loop

Superior Hiking Trail: Cascade River Loop is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lutsen, Minnesota that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,000 feet Route Type: Loop

icy

Beautiful! Today because of all the rain we’ve been getting it’s extremely muddy, slippery, rocky, lots of tree roots, but view are amazing, no bugs, perfect temp, leaves are changing. I’d plan on extra time if you want to hike the whole trail as it will take you longer than expected due to the ground conditions.

This hike was awesome, would definitely recommend! I can imagine the colors in the fall would be awesome but going in August was wonderful too! We had never done a hike longer than 5 miles, so we weren’t totally sure how we would do, but we finished it in about 5 hours and we were going slowly. There are lots of rocks and roots so hiking boots are a must to help protect your feet. The trail was really well maintained, not muddy (but could see how it could get muddy if it had rained), and was not overgrown or anything. I would recommend bringing lunch and taking a break partway through. When we went there was a small bridge that was down, but it really wasn’t an issue at all. Note: the only confusing thing about this hike (which is where this app saved us) was that halfway through it seemingly ends at highway 45. We were confused where to go. But you just walk on the highway, looking for those SHT signs, and then you are able to return to the trail to start the second half heading back.

We hiked this trail from the HWY 61 parking lot...from there it is a strong 8.5 mile jaunt. We went counter-clockwise, and trout creek was bone dry in August. Trail was dry, but i can see how the trail difficulty would jump if it were wet...some mud, lots of elevation gain and tree roots everywhere. Hiking poles would be helpful to avoid sliding down portions of the trail. My Apple Watch said we did 1500 feet of vertical gain. It’s a great hike....on a hot day though it could be a serious undertaking. Bring water. We didn’t have trouble with bugs...but had spray with. Views of the river and numerous waterfalls are great. No views of the lake. Also about 1.75 miles from the end there is a bridge out...like really out. You have to hop down to a dry riverbed and scramble up 6-8 feet on the other side. If there were water flowing....this would be a serious problem...probably impassable in the spring.

Love this trail. Trekking poles would help, took about 4 hours with two stops to enjoy river and have a snack!

bridge out

Don’t let this trail fool you, it’s one bitch of a hike! I would recommend doing this trail in two days. There’s lots of elevation changes, tree roots, rocks, rocks, and more rocks! However, the river views are gorgeous and the trail is nice and shady in the big pine trees. I recommend this trail to advanced hikers only.

Recommend doing the trail backwards to ensure Trout Creek is passable. The bridge is out but it was passable for us. May not be for all hikers. Great hike. Recommend doing the extra to get to the waterfall.

Thu Oct 25 2018

we started at the park and went up the west side. The views of the river and waterfalls are fantastic near the park, but the trail veers away from the river about a mile up. The trail is very poor with many tree roots and steep (but short) changes in elevation. With recent rains, we averaged about a mile per hour. (about half of our usual pace.) Strongly encourage trekking poles if it's muddy.

Sat Oct 13 2018

This is not an “easy” hike. I would rate it moderate+. I also recommend trekking poles if you’re doing the actual loop. Definitely go counter clockwise if you start at 61 as Trout Creek may be impassable depending on rain it was tricky today but doable. It took me about 5.5 hours as I’m a chicken and was very cautious on the descents. Overall the trail is a lot of fun. The terrain changes and there are a lot of creeks to cross and amazing views of the river. There was some confusion at county rd 45 regarding where the west trail begins.. cross the bridge and walk until you come to a guard rail that is the start of the west part of the loop. You’ll see a large SHT placard. Enjoy!

Sat Oct 13 2018

This trail was difficult with a lot of ups and downs, but the terrain offered a lot of variety making the effort worth it. It was absolutely beautiful, and I would highly recommend it!

Wed Aug 29 2018

awesome hike to lookout mountain!

Mon Aug 20 2018

This is one of my favorite hikes on the shore. My friend Scott introduced it to me. We set out on cold winters day to climb the waterfall at cut log. It was my first foray into ice climbing and I found it both exhilarating and terrifying. I have since returned several times to enjoy the path and the amazing trees found on the way. Though I’ve no intention of climbing the drip again, I hope that I may find myself back here again someday.

closed
Fri Jul 13 2018

We hiked this trail in July 2018 and it did not disappoint. The weather was surprising for that time of year with showers and storms every day and fog. With the spray from the falls and added moisture we had to be very careful if we went onto the ledges overlooking the falls as it could be easy to loose footing. Overall the trail was moderately difficult with many areas to rest and even some areas which were perfect to take a break and grab something to east. If you access the park off of Highway 61 at the time we hiked there was construction on the main trail, but a splinter trail just to the south allowed you to easily get back to the main trail. Keep an eye on the weather and try to go within a day or two after heavy rains if going in the Spring and Summer as you will have the best view of the raging falls.

Tue Jun 26 2018

Lovely trail. It took me about 4.5 hours for a leisurely hike. The Trout Creek bridge is out, but today (June 26, 2018) the creek was dry, so I could walk right across. If it has rained, check http://www.superiorhiking.org for conditions before you go. Edit: after hiking some trails in the Rockies, I’d rate this one as moderate or even easy.

Wed Oct 04 2017

The Trout Creek bridge on the west side of the Cascade River is out and the creek can't be crossed due to recent heavy rain. As a result, west side of this loop trail is currently inaccessible.

Sun Jul 30 2017

Nice loop or you can shuttle if you want to go one way only. Beautiful trail along the river.

Mon Jul 24 2017

Awesome hike. Lucked out on a great day. Highly recommend.

Mon May 08 2017