Superior Hiking Trail: Cascade River Loop

Superior Hiking Trail: Cascade River Loop is a 7.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Lutsen, Minnesota that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1 minute ago

This is one of my favorite hikes on the shore. My friend Scott introduced it to me. We set out on cold winters day to climb the waterfall at cut log. It was my first foray into ice climbing and I found it both exhilarating and terrifying. I have since returned several times to enjoy the path and the amazing trees found on the way. Though I’ve no intention of climbing the drip again, I hope that I may find myself back here again someday.

Lovely trail. It took me about 4.5 hours for a leisurely hike. The Trout Creek bridge is out, but today (June 26, 2018) the creek was dry, so I could walk right across. If it has rained, check http://www.superiorhiking.org for conditions before you go. Edit: after hiking some trails in the Rockies, I’d rate this one as moderate or even easy.

The Trout Creek bridge on the west side of the Cascade River is out and the creek can't be crossed due to recent heavy rain. As a result, west side of this loop trail is currently inaccessible.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Nice loop or you can shuttle if you want to go one way only. Beautiful trail along the river.

Monday, July 24, 2017

Awesome hike. Lucked out on a great day. Highly recommend.

Monday, May 08, 2017

Awesome!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

I've hiked all of the parks along the north shore and this one will always be ranked towards the top! The hike to Lookout Mountain is so worth the views you get at the top! I try to make this hike every time I travel north. Even just wading in the river down by it's mouth to the Lake Superior is gorgeous. Also, lots of good hammock hangs over the river!

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Traveling up the west side of the river was great. Multiple falls and cascades justify the effort. Coming back on the east side takes you further from the water and loses alittle of the wow factor. Still a worthwhile hike.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

This is rated as hard but for serious hikers it is pretty moderate. Elevation never gets above 2000 ft above sea level so breathing is easier. If you are not a serious hiker and you are out of shape this could be hard. I am generous with the stars.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Loved this hike. Gorgeous views. It was quite muddy at the beginning, but dried out as we got closer to the river. I would definitely do it again.

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

One of the best in MN! Take your time enjoy the smells and sights...

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Cascade is my all time favorite in Minnesota!

Sunday, August 09, 2015

Multiple scenic falls to see. I would not recommend to not turn back as the map suggest. Continue on the trail, keep left as the trail splits, and follow the trail up a huge hill and you will come upon another hidden treasure. explore to find out what it is! The trail loops back. As always, bring plenty of water.

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Beautiful area ad part of the trail on the way to Lutsen!

Saturday, August 27, 2011

I've loved this trail and State Park since I was a child. The west side of the river is much more challenging than the east side.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Beautiful place! Go and checkitout!

Saturday, August 19, 2017