Superior Hiking Trail: Bean and Bear Lakes

Superior Hiking Trail: Bean and Bear Lakes is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Silver Bay, Minnesota that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 997 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hiked to bean and bear lake on January 11th half in boots half in snowshoes although not entirely necessary but recommended. Beautiful hike and would definitely do it again. Only saw two other hikers the entire time. Trail was well marked.

Great views! Highly recommended bringing an extra pair of shoes, clothes, and towels for when you get back to your car, especially if you are a little clumsy like me and slip in the mud

First and foremost the views are fantastic. We had a great time and it was worth the hike. However, this was a tough trail. I hike a lot and I didn’t think this was “moderate” as it is listed as. We did the loop to the overlook and back and it was 7.5 miles total and took us 4 hours. It was 4 miles just to the overlook. Very hilly and I cannot emphasize this enough...IT IS VERY VERY MUDDY!! Wear proper waterproof hiking boots. Luckily we came prepared but I saw several other folks who were not. Overall, it was still a good hike and the views were well worth it. But be prepared for a full day and some rough terrain.

Great trail for beautiful vistas. Unfortunately, we hiked on the backend of the fall colors. Had we hiked 10 days earlier, the views would have been spectacular. Several stretches of very muddy paths. Had to take many detours alongside and into the woods to avoid the muck. Gets better as you approach the lakes.

Wear waterproof ankle high boots at least.

Very muddy after rain over the weekend but a great hike

Was very wet and muddy. Lots of fun

Amazing views - worth the hard at times steep hike

We made our way out for the first time yesterday! The trail was still quite muddy, but well worth the views! The fall colors are just starting to pop

Excellent & difficult trail. So rewarding! Extremely muddy. A great day hike! Definitely doing again soon

My favorite hike up north by far. A few miles of it are currently extremely muddy but west the right foot wear and you will have a blast!

I really enjoyed the overlooks of Bean and Bear Lakes. The hike is very strenuous uphill because of roots and rocks if not in shape, but definitely worth the hike. There were quite a few muddy spots on the trail, but most can be avoided.

Trees are starting to show some yellows and reds. About a mile in there is some mud but dry areas to walk around it. Going out and back to the Bear Lake overlook where you can view both lakes is about 7.1 miles. A few climbs but can be done in about 2 hours at a good pace!

Beautiful but the mud, constant ups and downs challenged me. Took 4 1/2 hours. I'm 57 and not in ideal physical condition, but very doable. The views were worth the effort. Take your time if necessary.

LOVE this hike. Perfect day. Can't wait to get back up there in the fall time for this trail. Moderate to difficult with some of the inclines and climbing. Well marked trail. You can't beat these views!