Superior Hiking Trail: Bean and Bear Lakes is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Silver Bay, Minnesota that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiked just after the fresh snowfall and it was absolutely beautiful. You feel like you’re in a winter wonderland. Highly recommend the trail in all seasons.

Just did this as a short trip last weekend, one day in / one day out. We camped at one of the two sites at Bear Lake and had the place all to ourselves. Highly recommend weeknight camping- we passed many parties heading out as we were hiking in Sunday night. It’s as muddy as everyone says, but worth it. The fall colors are stunning and the overlooks along the way surprised me. I wouldn’t camp any later than mid-October... it was real chilly when we weren’t moving and snow covered the ground when we woke up. Definitely a MN gem.

I loved this hike. I was my first hike on the Northshore. I felt like this was rugged yet not hard. My dog did well. The views of this trail are amazing.

This section of the SHT features great overlooks inland to Bean and Bear lakes. It’s a lovely stretch of the trail that makes a nice day hike or short overnight backpack. The trail is pretty rugged with lots of up and down, but the views are worth the effort. If you decide to camp at Bear Lake be advised that summer weekends it fills up quickly and there are only two spots on the lake that have decent space for a tent. A few hammock spots. There are a couple of flat spots up on the hill past the latrine as well. But if you get there early enough it’s a great place to camp. You won’t necessarily have solitude, but a post hike swim in this lovely lake is pretty glorious.

It’s about 7 miles round trip. Took us about 4 hours with breaks. It’s a very rocky trail but it’s worth it for those views.

Great hike with beautiful views. I think it was a little closer to 7 miles but still great. Once you get to bear lake, you can choose to take a different trail back or you can take the same trail. It is the same distance either way. We chose to do out and back on the same trail. I would recommend bringing a lunch with on this hike if you don’t plan to spend the night. When you factor in taking pictures, lunch and a few short breaks along the way, this hike took us about 5 hours total. If it’s hot out bring lots of water. Overall, this is the coolest hike I have done on the north shore. Would absolutely recommend.

The views were amazing. The lakes are crystal clear. This trail is a high moderate or a low difficult. There are a lot of elevation gain and decent, rocks, and muddy trails.

We repeat - rugged not tough! Worth hiking to the overlook at Bear Lake. You won’t be disappointed. Rocky - wear good shoes. It was dry for us, but other times of the year it looks like a lot of mud. A “can’t miss” in the area for anyone who loves a good trail.

Amazing hike! Beautiful nature walk all the way up to the view of Bean Lake. The view of Bean Lake was SPECTACULAR. Very beautiful, with plenty of spots to stop and take it all in. If you continue to Bear Lake there is a nice spot to check out right on the water, where you could swim if you wanted. There were quite a few muddy spots, like others mentioned but it was doable. We wore tennis shoes, which was fine but you’d have no problem if you are wearing hiking boots. Definitely recommend this hike!

Skip the hike you were thinking about and hit this one instead. Rugged but not tough.

Great hike with amazing views at the end. We went at the beginning of June and when we decided to go all the way down by the waters edge of Bear lake, there were quite a few gardener snakes (like 8-10 in one small area), just a little helpful FYI for anyone who is particularly afraid of snakes.

Wonderful hike, great views and and nice little camp by Bear Lake. Been here a few times, winter camp here is extraordinary.

Modérate hike with wonderful views. Spring sun was wonderful

Incredible view of the lakes! Awesome hike.

Amazing views and great way to spend a day or overnight.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

The terrain is really muddy right now, but the views are phenomenal! May be the best view I've ever seen hiking in MN.

Monday, September 25, 2017

Muddy. A good out and back day hike

Friday, September 22, 2017

I still want to give it a 4 only because I know it has to be a beautiful trail! I was bummed out that I had to turn around pretty early because of the mud. Never got to the lakes or even the first camp. Heads up it's muddy!

Friday, August 18, 2017

nice views from parking to lakes; I would call it "difficult" for most other than experienced rugged terrain hikers.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

fun trail there is a cool waterfall at the first campsite a a steep hill down to Bear Lake but a nice view not very good group camping spots at Bear Lake

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Highly recommend this portion of the trail, challenging in some areas, and it has some great views

Sunday, June 18, 2017

very beautiful hike!! if you want the trails and views to yourself I recommend getting out there pretty early during the weekends! great backpack camping spots too! happy hiking! :)

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

One of my favorite spots on the SHT!

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

First real hiking trip. Best time of my life. Went in late fall a few years ago. It was cold camping over night but the views were incredible and you worked up a sweat to see them. A must see.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

One of my favorite runs; stunning views with bluffs protecting the lakes. Rolling trees as far as the eye can see.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

This trail was seriously beautiful, but my wife and I turned back after about four miles of muck in mid June. We came a couple of days post rain, and were sad to see that there were long, long spells of mud patches without stepping logs or stones. We made it through a bunch, and finally elected to turn back with our mud soaked shoes. Hope to come back and fulfill the full loop sometime soon!

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Great hike on a beautiful day. Stunning overlooks of bean and bear lakes.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

This is a great trail, I have hiked Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, Zion , etc. this is on that grand level, especially if you can hike it during fall colors, which is early October.

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Beautiful hike! Moderate to difficult with lots of ups and downs. Incredible lunch spot up at the top!