Superior Hiking Trail: Bean and Bear Lakes

Superior Hiking Trail: Bean and Bear Lakes is a 6.5 mile out and back trail located near Silver Bay, Minnesota and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and camping and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The terrain is really muddy right now, but the views are phenomenal! May be the best view I've ever seen hiking in MN.

Muddy. A good out and back day hike

I still want to give it a 4 only because I know it has to be a beautiful trail! I was bummed out that I had to turn around pretty early because of the mud. Never got to the lakes or even the first camp. Heads up it's muddy!

nice views from parking to lakes; I would call it "difficult" for most other than experienced rugged terrain hikers.

fun trail there is a cool waterfall at the first campsite a a steep hill down to Bear Lake but a nice view not very good group camping spots at Bear Lake

Highly recommend this portion of the trail, challenging in some areas, and it has some great views

very beautiful hike!! if you want the trails and views to yourself I recommend getting out there pretty early during the weekends! great backpack camping spots too! happy hiking! :)

One of my favorite spots on the SHT!

First real hiking trip. Best time of my life. Went in late fall a few years ago. It was cold camping over night but the views were incredible and you worked up a sweat to see them. A must see.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

One of my favorite runs; stunning views with bluffs protecting the lakes. Rolling trees as far as the eye can see.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

This trail was seriously beautiful, but my wife and I turned back after about four miles of muck in mid June. We came a couple of days post rain, and were sad to see that there were long, long spells of mud patches without stepping logs or stones. We made it through a bunch, and finally elected to turn back with our mud soaked shoes. Hope to come back and fulfill the full loop sometime soon!

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Great hike on a beautiful day. Stunning overlooks of bean and bear lakes.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

This is a great trail, I have hiked Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, Zion , etc. this is on that grand level, especially if you can hike it during fall colors, which is early October.

Thursday, December 06, 2012

Beautiful hike! Moderate to difficult with lots of ups and downs. Incredible lunch spot up at the top!

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

I've backpacked and camped this part of the trail twice. both times it was in early spring and even without much leaf cover it was lovely. Challenging and dramatic in its views and terrain. You go from the top of mount trudy to valleys of beautiful trees then back up to cliffs overlooking the lakes. I recommend going south from Tetegouche state park to silver bay so you can do mount Trudy early on when you have the energy. Either a short backpacking trip or a long day trip, either way it's amazing.