Saint Croix River Trail

Saint Croix River Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Taylors Falls, Minnesota that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 259 feet Route Type: Loop

Early November, great time to be there. Very few people, no leafs on the trees. Great hiking trails. The only downside is that it was close to a busy road. Lots of noise from the passing traffic.

Very pretty trail with great views of the St.Croix, unfortunately right next to the freeway so you can hear the cars the whole time. Also very popular even in November, so if you’re looking to get away in nature, this isn’t the place.

Fun and scenic trail along the River. Unfortunately you are pretty close to the highway so rather noisy. Fall colors are emerging.

This was a beautiful trail. Lots of mild rock climbing. The only downside was that You could hear the highway the entire hike

Busy and active area, but beautiful.

Pretty busy trail and lots of road noise. Fantastic views. I’d do it again but on a less busy weekday.

Very nice with scenic view, be prepared for lots of mosquitos.

extremely busy single file lines on trails

Not At all relaxing. Trail follows busy road the entire time. Throngs of people who haven’t seen the other side of concrete in a long time. Trail is easy, if a bit muddy currently. Giant groups, purse dogs with bows, and a general circus. The only thing missing was the selfie sticks. This park is too accessible to the masses. Never again.

Really beautiful views at certain points of the trail. Some steep inclines so decent shoes are recommended.

Very beautiful. It's something the whole family can enjoy.

Sun Oct 14 2018

Somewhat rocky and uneven ground. Beautiful scenery along the river!

Sun Sep 23 2018

Agree with the other posters that I wouldn’t classify it as easy. A decent amount of steep inclines and steps. Beautiful though.

Sat Sep 22 2018

Great hike, but I wouldn’t rate it as Easy. It should be rated Moderate. Follow signs for “Hiking Club”, otherwise Trail is not always well marked. Can get to some beautiful river views from the trail. Will definitely go back!

Fri Aug 10 2018

Sun Aug 05 2018

First part is very pretty

Fri Mar 02 2018

Incredible hike but I wouldn't classify it as easy, definitely more in the moderate range. Lots of hills and climbs, very rocky paths. Our kids had no issues and we all enjoyed it, but it was definitely an adventure. Amazing scenery and nature.

Tue Aug 22 2017

Wed Jul 19 2017

Great trail with varying terrain. Brought dogs and there was a nice spot off trail to let them swim and cool down.

Sat Feb 25 2017

Beautiful

Mon Aug 01 2016

It was a great hike, but I'm not sure I would define this as an "easy" hike. Maybe for those who hike on a daily basis. The terrain was relatively easy, but there was a LOT of up and down - so be prepared for that! I loved the trail though - went at dawn and aside from the mosquitoes (be sure to bring plenty of bug spray), it was incredibly beautiful and peaceful. My dog and I (on leash) had the trails to ourselves, and it was a beautiful morning - got lots of great pics!

Sun May 08 2016

gorgeous cliffs, trees, sandstone bluffs, waterfall, tree arch-lined walkways, amazingness.

Sat Nov 21 2015

the sandstone bluff trail has great views of the st Croix river. it also has a seasonal waterfall and some old railroad bridge piers.

Sun Sep 13 2015

Very scenic! Tyson, Kraig, and I kicked ass! Lexi, Zack, and jess couldn't keep up!

Thu Jun 25 2015

Really fun and beautiful. My friends and I had a great time.

Sat May 30 2015

This was a great place with me and my girl friends. We were able to do the easy hikes as well as the more challenging ones to the bluffs. In total we did about 7 miles just exploring the trails. It took about an hour to drive from the cities and we spent 4 hours there. I suggest getting there around 10-11 on the weekends since it gets pretty busy around noon.

Mon Sep 22 2014

Lush and just plain beautiful! First time hiking in this park and I'll definitely go back as there is so much to see that it's impossible to take in all the beauty in one hike day.

Sun Aug 03 2014

One of my favorite quick trip day hike locations, not far from the Twin Cities on the St Croix. Lots of up and down hiking (or good trail running), some massive staircases, great views of the river, lots of photo spots, and of course all the amazing pothole formations in the north end of the park. If the short loop distance is discouraging, do the loop twice - one of the few places you can do that and not get bored the second time around!

Sun Jul 20 2014

The climbing is fun, but the trails are also long and amazing! Great view of the St. Croix River and awesome pot holes to climb around in!

Sun Aug 12 2012

I love most of this trail. I always start out at the ranger station close to the campsites so that I can hit the river bluffs first, then the potholes, then the street, then the loop. It makes the whole journey a loop that is diverse in scenery and trail surface. The only thing I don't like so much about the trail is the parts where you are literally on the highway. There is one section that involves crossing a really busy intersection and I've almost been beaned a couple times. The part I love the most though is the one mile loop at the end. It is so green woodsy and steep. It's gorgeous.