Pike Island Loop

Pike Island Loop is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near St Paul, Minnesota that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

As of June 2018, users have reported that Pike Island is closed due to flooding. A state park permit is required to park at this site.

Open today, August 13. It is a flat, shaded trail—nice on a hot day like today. You can add on miles by running from Minnehaha Falls area, Minnehaha Creek, etc.

Great trail— the State Park website says it’s open again. Any reports on if this is true?

Attempted this June 30th 2018, couldn't get onto it due to flooding. It looked great on the other side :D

My husband and I tried to hike this last weekend on 5/6/2018. Unfortunately, it was closed due to flooding. Definitely will have to go back and try it again! Thankfully, we found some other hikes at Fort Snelling State Park!

The wildlife you see along the way is exciting! I saw several woodpeckers, a dozen deer including two baby, and a bunch of wild turkeys. Only encountered a few people on my walk. It is peaceful and feels like your up north.

Easy and nice loop around pike island. Hiking shoes a must right now as it’s pretty muddy and slick in areas. Enjoyed getting out today and excited for spring. Easy parking as well. Make sure to get vehicle day or annual pass and have it out on dash.

Easy walk, very cool to see the confluence of the rivers. Great bird watching, too.

Hiked this last week, it was great. Saw 12 deer and 20 turkeys. the whole loop is closer to 5 miles according to my Fitbit.

I love the proximity to the city and the different looping options on this trail! I often see wildlife in the less-travelled “interior” segments.

Green and peaceful.

Great trails, lots of wildlife.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Great loop - dogs on leashes allowed and I let my dog play in the water at the half way point. Quiet and safe.

Monday, July 17, 2017

Flat trail. Nice wooded views and walking along the shoreline is beautiful.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Great trail -- drive all the way through the park past the beach and picnic island. You will get to a parking lot with a nature center. The bridge to pike island is a few minute walk from the last parking lot.

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Wonderful trail!

Saturday, September 24, 2016

I recommend hiking around Pike Island once you get below the visitor's center. I park off of Hwy 55 at the meters if I can't find a free spot. Then I walk down the shared paved trail that both bikers and walkers use. Loop around Pike Island and back to the car is about 16-18,000 steps and it takes about 2.5 hrs. Very nice wooded area in the city! If you have a dog keep them leashed because I saw a rattler snake recently and heard a second one. Besides it is the law.

Friday, July 15, 2016

If you do not have a state park permit, you must purchase one to park at this site.

Monday, June 20, 2016

Nothing better than a hike around the pike (island). A little busy but nice.

Sunday, April 17, 2016

great..little busier than I prefer, but for being in the metro it is awesome...

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

it is a great park tons of trails loved it.

Friday, October 30, 2015

I love Fort Snelling! I ride my bike here every day in the summer and fall. It is so peaceful and I seem to find a new trail every time I go. This is my favorite place in the cities.

Saturday, August 01, 2015

Dope

Saturday, February 15, 2014

What the others have said is accurate. Not much else to add except I'm not sure if they mentioned that you need a State Park day sticker or a season pass for your car. There is a visitor center at the end of the road and you can rent the green bikes near there.

Friday, March 02, 2012

Lots of different possibilities here. Pike Island (3 mi around). Picnic Island, Walking to Minnehaha Falls (3 mi). Can only hike/walk/run on Pike Island. Biking on the otehr. In the summer there's a cpl beaches as well -- on a lake as well as the river bank along the Mississippi on Pike. At the East end of Pike the Minnesota River flows into the Mississippi. It's all forested with tall trees! Pike is earth. The others are paved.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Good year-round trail. Make sure to hit Pike Island.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Flat trail that loops 3 miles around the island. Slightly sandy in some areas. Muddy during spring and early summer. Great views of wildlife and plenty of views of the rivers.

1 hour ago