North Country National Trail (NCT): Lake Erin to North Stocking Lake

North Country National Trail (NCT): Lake Erin to North Stocking Lake is a 10 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Hackensack, Minnesota that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and backpacking.

Point to Point

My son and I are prepping for the Philmont Boy Scout Ranch in Cimarron, New Mexico so we won't be able to replicate the elevation that the southern Rocky Mountains have but with backpacks and a speedier pace, it's not a bad trail. We were unable to locate the end of the trail to have our car dropped off so we could be dropped off at the trailhead. So for the route, we planned for 5 miles in and 5 miles back. However, plans quickly changed when we hit just over 2 miles in and there were ticks crawling up our boots. It's a known fact that Scoutmaster Brian tends to forget one item whenever he leaves for a Boy Scout-related event and it happened to be the insect repellent.

The trail is easy to spot but the grass is about ankle high and ticks like that. If you plan to go, definitely spray on decent insect repellent both on your body and clothes. Besides ticks, there are a lot of horseflies and mosquitoes. We altered our hike to head down a eastbound road just after the two mile mark. Even that was nice with some beautiful views of lakes and fields. For the next trip, we will make sure we follow the Boy Scout motto and "Be Prepared!"

Friday, August 19, 2016

There were several fallen trees across the path, in numerous places, which made it difficult. And the mosquitos were the worst I've ever seen. That was in July.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

It was a nice country trail with varied elevation.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

The NCT (North Country Trail) is a premier hiking trail that stretches over 4,600 miles linking communities, forests, and prairies across 7 states ( North Dakota to New York State). already, more than 1,700 miles have been completed. When complete it will be the longest hiking trail in the U.S. I have hiked several sections in MN. and one in Mich., I love this trail! Great campsites along the way and so many lakes on the sections I have hiked.