Magnetic Rock Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Isabella, Minnesota that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Well worth it, and don't forget your camera. The elevation increases are short in duration, so it's not as exhausting as I thought it would be. The trail is in good shape, though rocky and rugged at points. In summer, pay attention to the weather. There's no cell service here, and if it starts storming you've got a long way back. In winter, the trail was surprisingly shoveled for the first part, and then turned into well-worn tracks from others. This is my favorite trail on the Gunflint. The end of the trail continues as the Border Route Trail, which I didn't do, but it appeared to be very overgrown.

Awesome trail with great views! Will definitely do again!

I really enjoyed this hike and found it easy, rather than moderate, and I would not consider myself in great physical shape. Took my 15 yo daughter and I about 1.5 hours, primarily because we picked (and ate!) blueberries at the beginning part of the trail. The trail can be unprotected and open at points, as well as rocky, lots of roots in spots to navigate for footing. Trail can be narrow through the woods but beautiful sweeping views on the way to the rock. Bring a magnet! I enjoyed the solitude too, as there were not many people to share trail with. You don’t need a map to do it but if continuing on the BRT, get one!

Nice walk only one tree across trail just before rock

Sunday, October 08, 2017

I love this trail! the terrain changes alot and I love the rolling hills surrounding you. the rock is a lot bigger than I thought too!! beautiful during the fall!

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

So beautiful so see Minnesota's "Stonehenge". Blueberries EVERYWHERE!!!!! Trail is quite rugged - takes about an hour to get from road to rock.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Saw a pink lady slipper, and other wild flowers. The monolithic magnetic rock does indeed mess with a compass needle. Nice views along the way too. Good family hike!

Monday, July 11, 2016

Delicious blueberries, a babbling brook, some beautiful nature and a giant rock that will mess with your compass. Can't ask for more than that out of less than a 3 mile round trip hike!

Monday, April 25, 2016

Easy, quick hike, interesting topography through an area burned by recent forest fires. The views, magnetic rock and wild blue berries (at the right time) make it worthwhile.

Monday, December 15, 2014

This is an amazing Minnesota hike. Probably the only thing it's missing is a good climb. The landscape is amazing and there are exceptional views on every step. Not too strenuous either. Well worth the travel up the trail.

Monday, December 15, 2014

One of my top five Minnesota hikes

Tuesday, July 18, 2017