Learn more

Fairy Falls [CLOSED] is a 0.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Stillwater, Minnesota that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking.

Distance: 0.5 miles Elevation Gain: 104 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

As of June 2020, it has been reported this trail remains closed due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information. https://www.nps.gov/sacn/index.htm This is a short trail that provides good views of the area.

closed

Fairy Falls remains closed, but I didn’t realize it as I entered from the east side, after parking at the end of the dead end on Boom Road. Silver Creek was at full gush today after last night’s torrential rains. There were a couple tricky spots to get up the path while keeping my feet dry on the south side of the creek. Ultimately, both shoes were soaked when I got to the base of the falls for some photos. A fun hike - but not for young kids, especially given the steep drops along both sides of the creek, which must be 50-70’ high.

This is a hidden gem. The actual falls hike is fairly short but there are several footpaths to explore as well. Wear hiking boots because of the mud and inclined portions of the trail. Some places where falling is a possibility so you want good footing!

icy

This was such a great trail! We had a long icy slip down, but once we got to the south side it was beautiful! It was a rocky climb down (we used a short cut and a climbing rope). Short hike and super fun! I wouldn’t recommend it for small children.

this is not a hike!!! beware. it is a viewing trail or minute trail. I drove from uptown to hike this and was intensely disappointed this was listed as a hiking trail. a great view and picnic stop with a lovely waterfall

Fun quick lunch hour trail. Nice waterfall and spurs. Secluded. Moderate height but easy if you take your time.

Beautiful hike, can’t run here. DO NOT BRING YOUNGER KIDS, you will spend the whole time worrying about them falling off a cliff.

Beautiful hike. I would say this is beyond moderate. Steep slopes are common. It is moderate to the falls.

It was a short hike, not much for scenery outside of the small creek and waterfall at the very beginning. Probably wouldn’t make the trip as a stand alone destination.

Came here with my dog in January, it was very steep and slippery, nothing we couldn’t handle but a bit dangerous with the conditions. We had the place to ourselves and had a great time running through the woods at the end of the trail and sitting by the frozen waterfall.

icy

An excellent short winter hike. I saw one bug in January so make sense of that. A few areas are pretty narrow and on ledges. Several downed trees and areas where water in spring and summer will wash out the trail.

The entrance is decently hidden, but it’s directly across from the street you park on. The best way to get to the bottom of the waterfall is by going straight across the bridge instead of right at the first split. Be careful not to go down the water run offs(those lead to cliffs) go up the steep hill after the bridge. Keep going till you go down a steep hill then immediately go right when it starts to flatten out. You’ll be able to see the creek at the bottom. The trail is at the bottom of the cliff on the middle of the hill. If you reach the creek, you went down too far for the easy trail. But the water fall is beautiful and worth trying to find. I think that’s what makes this one fun. It forces you to explore the best way to the water fall and truly allows you to take in all the beautiful nature that’s in front of you!

I seriously can't figure out the entrance! its my first time here, I was so excited about this trail and I can't even figure out where to start!

This trail is a quick hike to a beautiful little waterfall. Towards the end--the trail is overgrown with no clear path, and if you go after a good day of rain like I did, prepare for it to be muddy. I wouldn't bring my kids on this hike and I definitely would wear hiking boots, as there are some steep areas to climb down. You will have to park on a side street, as the entrance to the path is hidden off the main road. Happy trails!

Rather dangerous narrow trails. Didn't loop around. ended in a nice area but ended there.

Nice views, cool waterfall and ridgelines on the back side of the loop. However not a clean way to finish the loop (requires straight up rock climb, where a rope used to be and is no longer there), so we had to back track the entire way. Luckily it’s short.

Picturesque, unique hike opportunities here include going under falls and scrambling up rocks. Loved this hike for a MN hike!!

Very fun trail, great waterfall. The climbing rope is on the south side of the cliff.

recorded Fairy Falls

Trail was awesome! It is not super marked and we got lucky! We decided to walk through the waterfall and attempted to hike the South side of the stream. I wouldn’t recommend doing that as we skidded down the hill and struggled to get back up to trail! Just stick to the North side!

Really liked it- just a bit confusing to find

Very pretty but definitely a hard hike not a moderate! And it’s not a loop- you have to hike in and back. Sandy trail in spots and a sheer drop on the side!