Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Eagle Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Marais, Minnesota that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.3 miles Elevation Gain: 646 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Great trail to hike on but I would say if you do not have strong knees and strong ankles, I wouldn’t recommend it. This trail does have a lot of rocks and tree roots that you’ll be walking on so wear comfortable shoes. I had to keep watch on what i was stepping on Bc there were a few times where i almost twisted my ankles due to the rocks. There’s also a lot of going up and down. Be warned, lots of bugs flying around, especially once you hit the summit. I was there for about 3-5 minutes and left Bc of the bugs. The view is amazing though, pictures do not do justice. My partner and I finished the hike in 3 hrs and that’s including short breaks here and there. So I’d say wear comfortable shoes, bug spray, and stay hydrated. It’ll get your heart racing, and just enjoy nature.

Trail is still snowy and mostly hard packed but did occasionally punch through the snow. Snow is still 4 ft in some areas, I know because I would sink that far! it was a fun hike with pretty views. We did use our primary GPS app which plotted the trail at 7.8 miles round trip, something to consider because the mileage here is an underestimate. Would recommend microspikes and hiking poles until the snow lightens up.

We did this trail in the snow. It was packed well on the trail but any step off of it and we were waist deep in snow. The incline at the end up to the vantage point was quick and a little tough but well worth the view and you can see Lake Superior from the top! Would highly recommend!

Perfect conditions, yesterday, March 26th. Packed snow paths, no ice. Beautiful.

What a gorgeous location to propose to my best friend. My wife and I have hiked this route several times in the past 15 years.. always beautiful! Summer months the bugs can be out in large numbers,bring appropriate bug repellent. At the highest point, make sure to calm the mind, take in the views and listen to the sounds of nature ..best medicine ever :) Plan between 3 - 5 hour trip , pack in ,pack out. bring h20 & snacks, good sturdy trail shoes for rocks, roots.

This was quite a beautiful hike, when I went I had the entire place to myself, the trail was very packed snow, didnt need snowshoes or anything. The second you step off the trail it gets a good amount deeper tho. Overall a very moderate hike, the elevation gain at the end is pretty quick, the only downside is the top doesn't have a 360 view.

Our hike was a cold morning, which was nice because the mud was mostly frozen. There were multiple mud spots throughout. Also, the plank bridges over water were slightly submerged. This made getting through more challenging. It didn’t stop us, but it may have for others. It is a very rocky trail also which gave the feet a good workout. Hiking/trekking poles and waterproof footwear a must! A beautiful hike!

Nice trail for fall, wet and muddy, wear boots :) rocky and footy but a good challenge, nice view of the lakes and rivers at the top

Great National Forest wilderness trail. The disclaimers from USDA at the trailhead tell you everything you need to know before you start.

Hiked the trail during Labor Day weekend. We sprayed but overall bugs weren't too bad. My 4 year old made it all the way up and half way down with minimal help before insisting on being piggy backed. Not too bad.

Great trail. Make sure you go past 2 view points and then continue up to official high point plaque.

A more difficult trail, most of it seemed to be either covered with rocks or tree roots. Well worth the view once you get to the top.

It rained this morning which made the trails a little muddy but it was manageable. The trails are fairly rock and a little wet from the rain.

Fairly easy to moderate trail with a few marsh crossings and lots of scenic views.

We went hiking at this trail after rain the day before. It was better than expected, the trail was cleared and easy to follow. There are spots where we have to walk on planks due to water and small streams flowing, some spots are rocky especially the last 1 mile. We had bug spray and head net on and it was super helpful to keep the bug away. All in all it took us 2.5 hours to get up and 2 hours to get down. The parks has many interesting mushrooms colorful in Brown, Yellow, Orange, Pink and even Polkadot. A must go place for hikers

Great hike. It is very rocky and root covered, not for weak ankles. But a nice hike overall. Per the comments, I am sure the mosquitos can be quite bad. It was ~70 degrees with a very slight breeze when I hiked on Aug 3rd. I had long pants on and I put a single spray bug spray on my arms, I only had a couple mosquitos bother me.

Great trail! Very rocky with lots of tree roots, so make sure you have good shoes and watch your footing. The first portion of the trail before the hike to the summit was packed with mosquitoes, I got tons of bites through my shirt since the sleeves were a bit snug. I would recommend using bug spray before you get dressed so you can cover ALL of your body. Bring plenty of water if it's a hot day, or a filter to use when you reach the lake.

Mosquitos were terrible, but the views on the top of the mountain were beautiful.

Bring big spray, the strongest you can buy. My wife and I were eaten alive the entire hike, even with bug spray on. I would suggest also long sleeve, long pants and a mosquito net. The views were amazing at the top.

Fun trail! We started hiking at about 4:45 pm and worked our way up. It was a nice hike and we had some nice views of Whale Lake as well. There was some great views when you get near the top but after that, the brass plate is the only thing to see at the top. We got to the top in an hour and forty five minutes and got back down in about an hour and twenty five minutes. It would be a great hike in the fall as well! Bring bug spray! It is a must!!!! High point #6 for us!

I agree with the previous posts. Great trail. Rocky and tree roots during a lot of the trail. Several bridge crossings consisting of two side-by-side 2x6’s. Nice overlooks prior to the top. Make sure you continue and veer right until you reach the giant plaque that says “Eagle Mountain” at the top with the disc in the top of that rock. About a 3:00 hike. Bug spray is a MUST! Bring water and a snack as there’s nowhere to eat nearby either. I would definitely do this hike again it I didn’t live almost 16 hours away by car.

I do not recommend this trail in summer if you are sensitive to bug bites - the mosquitos and flies literally swarmed us the entire way! Otherwise a decent trail. VERY rocky/uneven terrain so you should be sure footed. The views at the end are nice, but not my favorite in this area.