For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Eagle Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Marais, Minnesota that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.3 mi Elevation gain 646 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (157)
Recordings (146)
Completed (343)
Andrew Staiger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 11, 2020

Very rocky

View Andrew's Recording
Turner Gunderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 11, 2020
Hiking

Somewhat challenging. Respect how rocky and muddy the trail may be, and look out for boardwalks that are a bit broken and lead to wet feet. This is my 4th highpoint and one of the most remote ones.

Madelyn Jayne Borner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
HikingGreat!

This was a good trail, tons of rocks & roots but not technical. I was with 5 others & we made it up & down in less than 3 hours, and we stopped at the top for about 20 minutes. Definitely beautiful at the lake & at the top. All elevation gain comes past the lake.

Tim McDonald
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 7, 2020
HikingGreat!

Awesome hiking trip. Trail was in great condition. Bugs were not an issue whatsoever. I think we saw 5 mosquitos near the beginning of the hike and that was it. Good views along the west shore of Wale Lake, along with a beaver dam, and awesome views at the top with several great places to sit and have a picnic. Would definitely recommend. It took us 3 hours in total, plus an additional 1 hour at the top to enjoy the view and eat lunch.

Kinga Rosinska
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2020
Hiking

Great hike but a lot of bugs!!!! Beautiful view from the top!

Katie NO
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

Only did a small amount of the trail looking for the Brule Lake Overlook, but it wasn't there. Trail was a bit muddy and very overgrown.

View Katie's Recording
Kevin McCarty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 18, 2020
Hiking

Nice hike! HO#29 for us. Two great overlooks right before you get up to the peak. What a nice part of the state to visit. Put on some bug spray and make sure you have some sturdy shoes.

View Kevin's Recording
Bill Larson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 16, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

I will 1st say that my AllTrails app completely failed me right from the start of this hike. But I used my Jog Tracker app and my Garmin GPS to record my trip. Eagle mountain trail is rated as moderate but it is close to being difficult. The 1st section of the trail from the trailhead to the SE corner of whale lake is definitely moderate and easy in many placed. Some rocks but nothing difficult. The entire trail has small, 8”-12” trip rocks so watch for those. Once you start hiking along the lakeshore there are a great many tree roots mingled with the rocks. Definitely moderate here. When you get to the NW corner of Whale Lake the trail splits and the “fun” begins. Most of the elevation starts here and the rocks become much more serious now. Not huge by any means but a lot of negotiating the right path. When you get very close to the top you finally get an opening to view the valley and a great view it is. Most of the trail is in a forest and not much to see except trees, trees, trees, and more trees. And some occasional water. A little farther and a larger opening over the valley, just before the last short push to the top. Be prepared for mosquitoes, we were. I would suggest plenty of water also. I hiked with my daughter and we enjoyed the hike. We aren’t really fast as we take a lot of time to “Smell the roses.” If the views had been more plentiful, I would have rated the hike higher. We probably won’t do this one again.

Heather Larson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 15, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

I climbed the peak merely because I am a highpointer. I wouldn't choose to do this trail again as there aren't many opportunities to see much except dense forest. The trail is extremely rocky and filled with tree roots, so it makes an otherwise short hike long and arduous. Bugs are an issue, but we were very prepared for that and didn't have any problems. I drank my entire bladder of water, so come prepared. A plaque marks the top and there is a nice view up there, but, again, limited. Best part of the hike was hiking with my Dad as it's the only time we get to spend together without anyone else around.

Paul Evans
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2020
RunningBugsRocky

Fantastic trail. 2 cool overlooks close to the summit, green, dense forest, lake views, and cooler temperatures. Yes it's rocky, but so are many other great trails (like all mountain trails out west). The trail gets narrow in places and the forest is dense, which I thought added a cool feel to the experience. There were no other people on the trail until I summited and began the return trip, so you'll likely enjoy isolation. Be careful if there was recent rain because I occasionally slipped on wet rocks, but I never came across mud or washed out bridges. Once you arrive at the base of the mountain, you'll have the option to continue on Eagle Mtn trail or go right to Brule Lake, so be sure to follow the trail to the summit, but you can extend your hike or run however much you'd like by taking Brule Lake Trail. Use bug spray. Overall, one of my favorite places.

View Paul's Recording
Chris Whelp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

Great secluded trail. Worth repeating to bring enough bug spray to cover everything head to toe a few times. We also covered our arms and heads but the flies still bit through the material.

Alireza Marouf
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
Snow

good challenge

Chris Luth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

Surprisingly great trail. Mostly flat for about the first mile as it winds through the woods and meanders next to a lake. The last mile has most of the elevation gain. Shortly before the actual summit, there are two areas with views to the south that are surprisingly impressive, given the relative flatness of the state. A short trail up from the second viewpoint leads to the summit itself, which has a plaque denoting the history of surveying the mountain and a USGS marker. The trail was of good quality and not muddy, despite recent rains, and there were multiple sections of mostly well-kept boardwalk. Once the trail starts climbing, it’s a little rocky but not particularly technical or difficult. The bugs were moderate but actually not that bad for Minnesota.

View Chris's Recording
Aaron Pallesen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2020
Camping

Who goes out into the woods for a hike and complains about bugs? You're outside. Where the bugs are. And it's a free, gorgeous trail with nice views, different scenery (wetlands, forest, lake, mountain views at the top). Anyone found rating a MN state park 1-2 stars because they're incompetent should be banned from ever visiting another park again. Of course the trail is going to be rocky. it's on a mountain. I can't facepalm hard enough at these terrible reviews.

Anu D.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2020
HikingBugs

Seems like a nice trail but was super buggy. We had to turn around due to that.

View Anu's Recording
Happy Hiker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 19, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

Great trail with a combination of flats and rocky scrambles. The trail to the top is rocky and a good incline but that’s why we hike

Doug Pahr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 19, 2020

Bring bug spray!

View Doug's Recording
Taylor Bruns
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 18, 2020
Travel&Tech Blackman Walking
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 16, 2020
Hiking

I always wonder why this trail is not hiked more. OK, it does not have great facilities like the state parks or waterfalls but the 11K (out and back) hiking is enough to get this 65 y.o. heart pumping and still be able to hike the upper SHT or around GM later in the day. The best time to hike is late spring and fall.

Victor Malles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 14, 2020

GREAT TRAIL! Real hiking experience

Suzanne Christopherson
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 12, 2020
Hiking

Nice view at the end but the entire trail is rocky. Just be prepared for this.

View Suzanne's Recording
Delaney Mallin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 10, 2020
HikingBridge outBugsMuddy

This trail is very nice!!! We went a day after it rained! This trail is absolutely amazing the plants are breathtaking! I would definitely recommend this trail you need good boots and lots of bug spray!

View Delaney's Recording