Eagle Mountain Trail

Eagle Mountain Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Marais, Minnesota that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

beach

Challenging hike, but the view from the top is worth it. Plan for a 5 hour window to do it justice. Pack lunch, water and a hammock. I would recommend good boots; the trail is very rugged.

awesome hike with a good challenge! wonderful view at the top! we also saw 2 moose on the trail!

Just hiked it this morning, it was a great view at the end, the view made up for the long hike through rocky woods.

Well this is a hiking trip I would forget. I was visiting family and came up for my grandma's 90th birthday. Well the day before my dad asked me if i wanted to pick up some high points on the way home. I asked my wife and see agreed. Well i started mapping out everything. So it we left and drove across the state which took 10 hours. when we were an hour from the trail head, we started getting flood warning and thunderstorm warnings on our phones. Also the darkest clouds i had ever seen in my life where above us. It poured rained for 15 minutes straight. It was raining so hard I pulled off the road for the first time. But the rain let up and we continued onward. We managed to get to the trail head at 8 PM. My dad assured us we were fine since it was the middle of the summer and it doesn't get dark in Minnesota until midnight. So my wife and I went down the trail. 30 minutes on the trail the skies opened up. Good thing I came prepared with stuff to keep us dry, and the trail got dark, and i had plenty of flashlights to guide our way in the dark. When climbing the mountain, we were literally hiking up a waterfall. We were pretty much soaked from knee down. When we got up to top it had actually stopped raining. We took our pictures up there and watched the lighting all around us and heard the thunder. We made our way back down, and when we got back onto the trail. It was flooded. parts of the trail was flooded almost up to our waist. but it was mostly knee to ankle deep in most of the flooded sections. We laughed about it,. Finally got back to the trail head around midnight. We didn't get to fully enjoy the scenery, but we made a memory for a lifetime that is for sure.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Personally, this trail felt very claustrophobic to me. The branches and trees force you to stay tight on the trail - you can't even see beyond. The rocks and the roots and the ascent weren't half as bad. The bugs were though! I like my trails to be roomier and this was anything but.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

I prefer the more scenic trails in this area, that typically run along the rivers (Cascade, Temperence, etc). While it's nice to say that you've been to highest point in MN, the path to get there isn't really very scenic- most of the time is spent hiking thru dense forest areas, with very few areas to stop and enjoy the wilderness around you.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

This is an excellent trail for all skill levels. Good ankle support is necessary! The spring involves ice and mud on the trail for much of the way. Summer and fall dry out in many areas, but several wet spots remain. In the winter you can ski or snowshoe on the trail. Dogs are welcome with a leash, but make sure to bring bags to pick up dog poop or at least scrape it up and throw it 100 feet into the woods away from water sources! Near the top there is a lookout spot with excellent views; another 500 feet and you are at another lookout near the summit. The actual summit is back in the woods about 200 feet.

There are some steep areas with lots of rocks, roots, and mud to navigate, but overall this trail is in excellent condition. There are a lot of people on nice days. To avoid the crowd, get to the trailhead early to get to the summit at sunrise. After about 9am you will start to see more people on the trail.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Excellent hike for nearly any skill level. Not a difficult hike as rated by other people; there are a few steep sections, but for the most part it's a lot of flat hiking. Magnificent views along the way on this trail through the BWCA with lakes, overlooks, and animals. Dogs are allowed on leashes and the parking can get busy, but this is one of the best hikes I have had the opportunity to enjoy in MN!