Eagle Mountain Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Marais, Minnesota that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

beach

I wouldn’t describe it as hard, more easy to moderate. Definitely very rocky for long stretches but the incline was gentle and not strenuous. Pretty views just shy of the summit. Actual summit is just a plaque - no views. Brought two small dogs and they dominated it but were very tired afterwards. A few stream crossing were a little underwater but definitely do-able. Worth checking out for the fresh air, gorgeous lake views, and an enjoyable time in nature.

completed 10/11/18. super wet crossings and trail washed out in places. wasn't undoable but be ready for wet feet. Gators definitely recommended and walking stick or trekking poles. took my time with trail conditions and it being my first time there, out and back in under 4 hours. had a dusting of snow that day too, made for super beautiful scenery.

The summit is a pretty good workout. The view from the summit was awesome, although it started snowing and blowing pretty hard right when we got there. I imagine it would be stunning on a clear day with sunshine. There was a few spots along the way where you’re going to get wet unless you have the right footwear.

Great hike in the fall with great autumn colors overlooking north shore Lake Superior. I would rate this one as moderate instead of difficult. Also I had no problems with dog off-leash if you do it during the week instead of weekend.

Beautiful views. Spectacular fall colors.

Great hike and views. The fall colors were just starting to change. Trail is very Rocky in places. About a mile into the trail there is a flooded portion due to the rain and Beaver dam (had to deal with 3 to 6" of water for about 10').

Breathtaking views at the top, especially with the fall colors this time of year! Difficult is a pretty good description for this hike, not due to elevation change (you only start the real climb the last 1/4 of the hike, maybe a half hour of climbing tops) but the footing the whole hike is a challenge - almost never a flat foot between rocks and roots. That said, we saw kids, dogs, and even elderly with crutches complete this hike so its doable for anyone with the willingness to do it! As of yesterday, the "bridges" that cross the stream at the early part of the hike are underwater, so your feet will get wet!

Great hike, amazing view from the top! "hard" is pretty accurate.

Took my 12yr and 9yr niece yesterday! We reached the top but I didn’t look at this app beforehand, I just went on a recommendation. Def have good hiking boots with ankle support and bring water and backpack to have your hands free, and bug spray they got bad as we were getting out. Fun hike!

This is a Workout! 1:30 out. 1:10 back. 6.3 miles of an obstacle course of rocks and roots.
Enjoying the summit with your family...priceless.
A nice place to enjoy snacks with a view.

Second time here with a friend..... what can be said really? Great hike, beautiful views, wonderful northern MN hiking experience. Highly recommend

Fun hike, went with my parents and our dogs. Fairly easy trail for everyone. It took 2 hours to reach the summit, 1:45 to come back down (at mom's pace). Doable in 1:30 in and 1:30 out. Trail is well kept, downed logs were recently cleared.

It rained the night before so the bugs were very bad until we started accending. Make sure to bring bug spray. Was very cool out so there was lots of fog, so not much of a view at top for us. But it cleared a little on the decent so we got to see the summit as we rounded Whale Lake.

We had a wonderful time on this hike with our son who got his 9th highpoint. My husband hiked this about 40 years ago so it was a trip down memory lane for him. I have been doing the stairs at work for 6 weeks as training for hiking and this was a pretty strenuous hike for me. It took us 4 1/2 hours with rain for the middle section. Lots of mosquitos and lots of rocks and boulders. The view was lovely at the top. My son who is in great shape rated this as easy. My husband who is in pretty good shape rated it moderate and for me in my late 50s it was moderately hard. There were about 20 or so other people on the trail some with young kids.It was a great way to spend the 4th of July.

Awesome hike. Trail for the most part is well maintained. Gets hard to follow when you first get to Whale Lake, but just keep going straight. You'll feel the last 1/2 mile in your legs but easily doable. Finished roundtrip in just about 3 hours.

Great hike. Beautiful fall day, overcast, 50 degrees. A number of muddy spots to step through or step around. Lots of rocks and tree roots to deal with. One water crossing to be made, guaranteed to get your feet wet. Five hour round trip for two 65 year-olds including a half hour lunch at the top.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Very rocky and footy. Wear good shoes. Incline isn’t bad at all, I’d rate this a moderate difficulty with some terrain to manage. With kids we did it in 3 hours out/back. Great views from the top.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Not super scenic, except for some bridges and then obviously the summit. Beautiful in the fall, but it gets crowded closer to midday. In the early summer, its muddier and more vegetation. Looks like a good trail to see moose, but I have not in two hikes so far. Bring water and good boots!

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Nice trail. Easy to get to. Parking and trailhead spacious with toilet and trail info.

The hike itself is not very strenuous, but the footing is very uneven due to the tree roots and rocks making it a bit tricky. It had rained a little over a half inch a couple days prior to my hike making it a bit muddy in places but overall it dried out well. The reward is near the summit with some nice vista views just below the peak. It's a great place to enjoy a little lunch or snack and soak in the views.

If you're trying to determine how long this hike will take, I'm 61 years old and it took me 1.5 hours to reach the summit and 1.25 for return to trail head. I wouldn't consider myself to be a fast hiker so hopefully that helps those wondering how much time to plan for. Have fun. Again it's a nice hike and not as claustrophobic as some have suggested in previous posts.

Thursday, September 21, 2017

Hard but worth it

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Great hike. Well worth it

Monday, September 18, 2017

This was a fun trail with gorgeous views of Whale Lake and looking Southwest from Eagle Mountain. I would call it moderate in difficulty. there are a lot of rocks, but it was easy to navigate them.

Monday, September 04, 2017

Weather ended up holding out pretty good today! Being a local from the Pacific Northwest, this hike reminded me of home. Wet, rooty, and lots of rocks to step around. The first two miles is like this consistently.

After reaching whale laoe, a sign will point to the summit. There is a panoramic point close to the end - great photo ops! Continue past this and hang a right once you come to a field of slab. Once you see the plaque, you've made it! Welcome to the top of Minnesota!

Bugs were fairly non-existent (might be to early). Saw a grouse on the trail. Heard a couple bugles - moose, deer, elk? Still trying to figure it out...

Monday, September 04, 2017

Nice woods, and pretty view at the top. Lots of rocks on the trail make it a slow hike.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Pretty rocky, bring good boots! Beautiful and highly recommended! Only a couple muddy parts when i went. My husky loved it! I will go back, but try the Brule hike next.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Challenging hike, but the view from the top is worth it. Plan for a 5 hour window to do it justice. Pack lunch, water and a hammock. I would recommend good boots; the trail is very rugged.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

awesome hike with a good challenge! wonderful view at the top! we also saw 2 moose on the trail!

Monday, October 17, 2016

Just hiked it this morning, it was a great view at the end, the view made up for the long hike through rocky woods.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Well this is a hiking trip I would forget. I was visiting family and came up for my grandma's 90th birthday. Well the day before my dad asked me if i wanted to pick up some high points on the way home. I asked my wife and see agreed. Well i started mapping out everything. So it we left and drove across the state which took 10 hours. when we were an hour from the trail head, we started getting flood warning and thunderstorm warnings on our phones. Also the darkest clouds i had ever seen in my life where above us. It poured rained for 15 minutes straight. It was raining so hard I pulled off the road for the first time. But the rain let up and we continued onward. We managed to get to the trail head at 8 PM. My dad assured us we were fine since it was the middle of the summer and it doesn't get dark in Minnesota until midnight. So my wife and I went down the trail. 30 minutes on the trail the skies opened up. Good thing I came prepared with stuff to keep us dry, and the trail got dark, and i had plenty of flashlights to guide our way in the dark. When climbing the mountain, we were literally hiking up a waterfall. We were pretty much soaked from knee down. When we got up to top it had actually stopped raining. We took our pictures up there and watched the lighting all around us and heard the thunder. We made our way back down, and when we got back onto the trail. It was flooded. parts of the trail was flooded almost up to our waist. but it was mostly knee to ankle deep in most of the flooded sections. We laughed about it,. Finally got back to the trail head around midnight. We didn't get to fully enjoy the scenery, but we made a memory for a lifetime that is for sure.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Personally, this trail felt very claustrophobic to me. The branches and trees force you to stay tight on the trail - you can't even see beyond. The rocks and the roots and the ascent weren't half as bad. The bugs were though! I like my trails to be roomier and this was anything but.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

I prefer the more scenic trails in this area, that typically run along the rivers (Cascade, Temperence, etc). While it's nice to say that you've been to highest point in MN, the path to get there isn't really very scenic- most of the time is spent hiking thru dense forest areas, with very few areas to stop and enjoy the wilderness around you.