Eagle Mountain Trail

Eagle Mountain Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Grand Marais, Minnesota that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

canoeing

beach

Very rocky and footy. Wear good shoes. Incline isn’t bad at all, I’d rate this a moderate difficulty with some terrain to manage. With kids we did it in 3 hours out/back. Great views from the top.

Not super scenic, except for some bridges and then obviously the summit. Beautiful in the fall, but it gets crowded closer to midday. In the early summer, its muddier and more vegetation. Looks like a good trail to see moose, but I have not in two hikes so far. Bring water and good boots!

Nice trail. Easy to get to. Parking and trailhead spacious with toilet and trail info.

The hike itself is not very strenuous, but the footing is very uneven due to the tree roots and rocks making it a bit tricky. It had rained a little over a half inch a couple days prior to my hike making it a bit muddy in places but overall it dried out well. The reward is near the summit with some nice vista views just below the peak. It's a great place to enjoy a little lunch or snack and soak in the views.

If you're trying to determine how long this hike will take, I'm 61 years old and it took me 1.5 hours to reach the summit and 1.25 for return to trail head. I wouldn't consider myself to be a fast hiker so hopefully that helps those wondering how much time to plan for. Have fun. Again it's a nice hike and not as claustrophobic as some have suggested in previous posts.

Hard but worth it

Great hike. Well worth it

This was a fun trail with gorgeous views of Whale Lake and looking Southwest from Eagle Mountain. I would call it moderate in difficulty. there are a lot of rocks, but it was easy to navigate them.

Weather ended up holding out pretty good today! Being a local from the Pacific Northwest, this hike reminded me of home. Wet, rooty, and lots of rocks to step around. The first two miles is like this consistently.

After reaching whale laoe, a sign will point to the summit. There is a panoramic point close to the end - great photo ops! Continue past this and hang a right once you come to a field of slab. Once you see the plaque, you've made it! Welcome to the top of Minnesota!

Bugs were fairly non-existent (might be to early). Saw a grouse on the trail. Heard a couple bugles - moose, deer, elk? Still trying to figure it out...

Nice woods, and pretty view at the top. Lots of rocks on the trail make it a slow hike.

Pretty rocky, bring good boots! Beautiful and highly recommended! Only a couple muddy parts when i went. My husky loved it! I will go back, but try the Brule hike next.

Challenging hike, but the view from the top is worth it. Plan for a 5 hour window to do it justice. Pack lunch, water and a hammock. I would recommend good boots; the trail is very rugged.

awesome hike with a good challenge! wonderful view at the top! we also saw 2 moose on the trail!

Monday, October 17, 2016

Just hiked it this morning, it was a great view at the end, the view made up for the long hike through rocky woods.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Well this is a hiking trip I would forget. I was visiting family and came up for my grandma's 90th birthday. Well the day before my dad asked me if i wanted to pick up some high points on the way home. I asked my wife and see agreed. Well i started mapping out everything. So it we left and drove across the state which took 10 hours. when we were an hour from the trail head, we started getting flood warning and thunderstorm warnings on our phones. Also the darkest clouds i had ever seen in my life where above us. It poured rained for 15 minutes straight. It was raining so hard I pulled off the road for the first time. But the rain let up and we continued onward. We managed to get to the trail head at 8 PM. My dad assured us we were fine since it was the middle of the summer and it doesn't get dark in Minnesota until midnight. So my wife and I went down the trail. 30 minutes on the trail the skies opened up. Good thing I came prepared with stuff to keep us dry, and the trail got dark, and i had plenty of flashlights to guide our way in the dark. When climbing the mountain, we were literally hiking up a waterfall. We were pretty much soaked from knee down. When we got up to top it had actually stopped raining. We took our pictures up there and watched the lighting all around us and heard the thunder. We made our way back down, and when we got back onto the trail. It was flooded. parts of the trail was flooded almost up to our waist. but it was mostly knee to ankle deep in most of the flooded sections. We laughed about it,. Finally got back to the trail head around midnight. We didn't get to fully enjoy the scenery, but we made a memory for a lifetime that is for sure.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Personally, this trail felt very claustrophobic to me. The branches and trees force you to stay tight on the trail - you can't even see beyond. The rocks and the roots and the ascent weren't half as bad. The bugs were though! I like my trails to be roomier and this was anything but.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

I prefer the more scenic trails in this area, that typically run along the rivers (Cascade, Temperence, etc). While it's nice to say that you've been to highest point in MN, the path to get there isn't really very scenic- most of the time is spent hiking thru dense forest areas, with very few areas to stop and enjoy the wilderness around you.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

This is an excellent trail for all skill levels. Good ankle support is necessary! The spring involves ice and mud on the trail for much of the way. Summer and fall dry out in many areas, but several wet spots remain. In the winter you can ski or snowshoe on the trail. Dogs are welcome with a leash, but make sure to bring bags to pick up dog poop or at least scrape it up and throw it 100 feet into the woods away from water sources! Near the top there is a lookout spot with excellent views; another 500 feet and you are at another lookout near the summit. The actual summit is back in the woods about 200 feet.

There are some steep areas with lots of rocks, roots, and mud to navigate, but overall this trail is in excellent condition. There are a lot of people on nice days. To avoid the crowd, get to the trailhead early to get to the summit at sunrise. After about 9am you will start to see more people on the trail.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Excellent hike for nearly any skill level. Not a difficult hike as rated by other people; there are a few steep sections, but for the most part it's a lot of flat hiking. Magnificent views along the way on this trail through the BWCA with lakes, overlooks, and animals. Dogs are allowed on leashes and the parking can get busy, but this is one of the best hikes I have had the opportunity to enjoy in MN!

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Rocky, but nice hike. Some water in trail. Elevation change is all in the last mile. Nice views near the summit, the summit is in the woods marked with a large plaque.

Saturday, February 15, 2014

The track available on this page is NOT the Eagle Mountain trail. It is a section of the Superior hiking trail that is by the ski resort of Lutsen.
The Eagle mountain trail is further north and connects to the Brule Lake Trail that starts by, you guessed it Brule Lake. The trail can be wet in areas. There are two campsite along the trail on Whale Lake and the second campsite is the better and can hold up to 9 people. (The max group size in the BWCAW.) As this trail goes to the highest point in Minnesota and is fairly short it is a well traveled trail and see a lot of use as a day hike.

Saturday, August 31, 2013

Difficult climb - rocky! But very worth it!