Barn Bluff Trail

Barn Bluff Trail is a 1.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Red Wing, Minnesota that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

If you are looking for a quick incline followed by spectacular views, this is a great hike!

Very relaxing and easy trail, good for short trips with a dog or children.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Definitely one of the prettiest hikes in red wing, offering beautiful flowers and views of the town. Make sure to bring bug spray, the bugs are out 24/7.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

It was a nice hike.

Friday, March 18, 2016

Barn's Bluff is definitely one of the most iconic things about Red Wing. If you haven't done the short hike before, I highly recommend it.

Saturday, October 17, 2015

I've done barn bluff many times since i was a kid. We Took my 8 & 12 year olds for the first time. They loved it. Couple trails are closed now due erosion, if we didn't have the kids we'd have explored them.

Thursday, May 08, 2014

This trail was excellent! One of my favorites. A couple highlights:
- There is an old kiln built into the side of the bluff if you walk on the NE side down at ground level. A cool bit of history there.
- The view of Red Wing is really great at the top of the bluff. It's nice to sit up there on a warm day and have a picnic in the sun. There is plenty of space off the trail to have a seat.
- On the north side of the bluff the shear cliffs are amazing! They are packed with rock climbers on nice days, but it's a nice forested walk where you can hang out in the shade and watch the rock climbers.
- We brought our dog (beagle) with and he managed the trail just fine. The stairs on the NW side of the bluff are very intense, steep, and uneven, so take care.

Friday, October 12, 2012

Been hiking here since I was a kid and now I just took my 5.5 year old daughter up the trails and she loved them too. Lots of photo ops and very easy to find your way around if its your first time here. There are a lot of stairs but they also decent benches to rest on if needed.

Friday, July 01, 2011

I love this trail, and since it's local we hike it pretty often. It's moderately difficult, as there are a steep set of stairs and quite a bit of uphill hiking. But the views are just awesome, and you can see both the Minnesota and Wisconsin sides of the river, too. There's a lot to see up there, and I'd recommend a hike in both the summer and fall. If you only go once, then definitely in the fall. It's very colorful up there.

Thursday, July 29, 2010

I loved this Hiking trail! there are basically 3 different trails, an easy, advanced, and difficult. We did all three trails. It gets a little treacherous with narrow and somtimes slippery pathways with exposed tree roots and rocks. The view is beautiful from begining to end, best at the top! I would recomend reviewing the map at the beginning of the trail (located at the top of the concrete staircase) if you have never taken this hike before. There is a concrete staircase at the beginning of the trail and signs along the trail explaining the history of these staircases. Park at the turnout just under the overpass for US 61, parking is somewhat limited. If you enjoy bird watching there are plenty to view along with wildflowers.