Barn Bluff North and South Trail

Barn Bluff North and South Trail is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Red Wing, Minnesota that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, rock climbing, and bird watching. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 544 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Very pretty trail with nice overlooks. Short hike, but hilly with steps. A little muddy, hiking boots recommend.

40’s aged couple. Ave hiking experience. Started on south trail and finished with the north trail and essentially did a loop. Good climbs and some concrete stairs. Hiking shoes/boots are recommended and would be helpful. Did the loop in about 50 mins with average pace and a few stops for photos. Excellent hike overall with some great overlooks of the Mississippi River and Red Wing. Note: trail could benefit from a few more markers where trails split.

Thought it was a pretty easy hike. Doesn’t take long to get to the top.

Barn Bluff. Didn't make it to the top. Very steep drop offs.

Get ready to climb! Trail is tight and steep. Great photos from the overlooks. Wear hiking shoes because it gets rocky and some slick spots. All-in-all, my dog and I had a great hike.

Loved this trail! Plenty of options for everyone whether you want a nice walk to a scenic view or a steep climb. All trails are beautiful and clean!

I did the north side hike and then circled around to the south. Great loop. Rocky at times on the north side, but beautiful.. Glad they had ropes on the north side since you could easily trip on a rock or slip on mud and potentially slide down quite a ways. However, I’d do it again for sure. If you want to go that way, when you first enter and get to the top of the stairs, go right and keep taking rights (that will keep you on the outside loop trail. Fun to pop in the middle towards the beginning to see the technical climbers though. I wish it was longer!!!

Trails are a bit rough and not for people that can’t handle steep climbs but it is breathtaking getting to the top. I recommend taking the longer path which runs along the north side it’s really pretty but you can take some nasty falls if not careful or well prepared. There are ropes in the hard areas but definitely a carabiner and latch would be a good add. The stairs on that path also need a little repair as some have holes and are loose but pretty good from being 90 years old. Don’t forget water!

Beautiful views, a few stairs and inclines but not to hard!

beautiful vistas, not too strenuous

Sun Dec 09 2018

Good fun trail. I love to take my hammock with me, and tie up over the bluff at the top.

Tue Oct 23 2018

Fun trail with great views

Sun Oct 14 2018

Nice hike with beautiful fall color. We were able to do a loop rather than out and back. If you do the south trail to the bluff and then head toward the River there are stairs that go down and then you walk a trail along the river back to the trailhead.

rock climbing
Sun Sep 16 2018

So fun, took the hardest trail to the top and wasn't disappointed. Many trails to try will definetly be going back.

Thu May 03 2018

So many different trails to take and some are not easy but they are worth the adventure. The outlooks are AMAZING!!! I spent 2 hrs hiking around and was not disappointed

Thu Oct 05 2017

If you are looking for a quick incline followed by spectacular views, this is a great hike!

Sun Jul 02 2017

Very relaxing and easy trail, good for short trips with a dog or children.

Thu Jun 23 2016

Definitely one of the prettiest hikes in red wing, offering beautiful flowers and views of the town. Make sure to bring bug spray, the bugs are out 24/7.

Sat Apr 02 2016

It was a nice hike.

Fri Mar 18 2016

Barn's Bluff is definitely one of the most iconic things about Red Wing. If you haven't done the short hike before, I highly recommend it.

Sat Oct 17 2015

I've done barn bluff many times since i was a kid. We Took my 8 & 12 year olds for the first time. They loved it. Couple trails are closed now due erosion, if we didn't have the kids we'd have explored them.

Thu May 08 2014

This trail was excellent! One of my favorites. A couple highlights: - There is an old kiln built into the side of the bluff if you walk on the NE side down at ground level. A cool bit of history there. - The view of Red Wing is really great at the top of the bluff. It's nice to sit up there on a warm day and have a picnic in the sun. There is plenty of space off the trail to have a seat. - On the north side of the bluff the shear cliffs are amazing! They are packed with rock climbers on nice days, but it's a nice forested walk where you can hang out in the shade and watch the rock climbers. - We brought our dog (beagle) with and he managed the trail just fine. The stairs on the NW side of the bluff are very intense, steep, and uneven, so take care.

Fri Oct 12 2012

Been hiking here since I was a kid and now I just took my 5.5 year old daughter up the trails and she loved them too. Lots of photo ops and very easy to find your way around if its your first time here. There are a lot of stairs but they also decent benches to rest on if needed.

Fri Jul 01 2011

I love this trail, and since it's local we hike it pretty often. It's moderately difficult, as there are a steep set of stairs and quite a bit of uphill hiking. But the views are just awesome, and you can see both the Minnesota and Wisconsin sides of the river, too. There's a lot to see up there, and I'd recommend a hike in both the summer and fall. If you only go once, then definitely in the fall. It's very colorful up there.

Thu Jul 29 2010

I loved this Hiking trail! there are basically 3 different trails, an easy, advanced, and difficult. We did all three trails. It gets a little treacherous with narrow and somtimes slippery pathways with exposed tree roots and rocks. The view is beautiful from begining to end, best at the top! I would recomend reviewing the map at the beginning of the trail (located at the top of the concrete staircase) if you have never taken this hike before. There is a concrete staircase at the beginning of the trail and signs along the trail explaining the history of these staircases. Park at the turnout just under the overpass for US 61, parking is somewhat limited. If you enjoy bird watching there are plenty to view along with wildflowers.