Waterloo-Pinckney Recreation Hiking Trail

Waterloo-Pinckney Recreation Hiking Trail is a 34.3 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Waterloo Twp, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Point to Point

scenic driving

beach

Directions from Pinckney, MI: Eastern Trailhead: Travel M-52 east on North Territorial Road about 5 miles turning left (north) onto Dexter Townhall Road. Travel half a mile to reach park. Trailhead is at the Silver Lake Beach Area.

Over Memorial Day weekend we decided to hike the Waterloo - Pinckney Trail. This trail is a point-to-point trail that cover 36 miles of rugged terrain. There is a ton of rolling hills that test your skills, mental and physical conditioning, and your pain tolerance.

Our original plan was to do all 36 miles. Unfortunately, we were under trained and with a server thunderstorm rolling in we decided to call off the last 12 miles.

If you are planning on doing this trial and completing the hike through, I highly recommend training for this. This trail in my opinion is at an advance level. The terrain is rugged with a lot of uneven ground that takes a toll on your ankles and knee's. The high rolling hills will test your endurance and take a toll on your feet. Make sure you have a good pair of broken in boots.

If you start at Big Portage Lake, you can make your first campsite at Pines Campground. There is not a well on site, but if you travel North for a 1/2 mile there is a horse stable that has water. For your second day, I would recommend that you make a pit stop at the horse campground at mile marker 14 or the DNR headquarters to replenish water before continuing on to complete the 13 mile hike. For your second night, I would tentatively plan on staying at Greenlake campground. When we arrived at the campsite it was loaded with car campers that were looking to party. There was open weed smoking and a ton of drinking. This is were our trip ended. However, there is a well for water. If you continue your third campsite will be Blind lake. This campsite is a great spot that is off the trail for backpackers only. This site also has a well. From there you are home free. Enjoy and be safe.

This trail got the best of us but we will be back!!!

A friend and I hiked this trail a few times this summer and we LOVE it!! It's challenging and beautiful.

geocaching
Saturday, July 30, 2016

Monday, June 13, 2016

There is not a lot of selection when it comes to overnight backpacking trails in the southern part of MI, so +1 star for that. Many parts of this trail are beautiful, but there are some parts that I wished I could bypass. There are many miles of the trail that are shared with horse traffic so you will spend hours tromping through horse shit. The horse traffic also destroys the hard pack and turns it to sand. Hiking in sand sucks.

Trail marking is good in spots and bad in others. There are lots of other trails in the area that intertwine with the WP trail. The intersections are poorly marked or not marked at all. This is probably a contributing factor in the horse traffic on the hiker trails.

This park is also open to hunting so many of the signs are riddled with bullet holes. I guess the logic is that if you can't hit a moving target it's okay to destroy a stationary target. Big ego boost, I'm sure.

Finally, there's the poison ivy. It is everywhere, literally. You cannot walk down the trail without touching it.

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Monday, May 02, 2016

Have done this a year ago very confusing as it looks like three paths intertwine.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Saturday, April 16, 2016

Monday, May 25, 2015

Saturday, May 09, 2015

Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Saturday, September 27, 2014

Friday, September 05, 2014

Me and my cousin walked the length of this trail in 2 days and we came up with a rating for each section.

5 stars for length. This is one of the longest trails in North East Michigan.

3 stars for trail up keep. There were quite a few sections where there was almost no trail visible but other parts were wide and there were some nice wooden bridges through the marshes.

3 stars for trail markings. At some points, there were no markers and multiple choices for forks in the trail. We usually just said, "Follow our Hearts." One time our heart choose a trail that led us back to where we had come from.

1 star for hiker friendliness. There were NO water pumps along all 35 miles of this trail. We had to beg at farm houses to fill our water bottles. There were a few vault toilets. Also, it didn't look like there was any water at the hiker campground. My cousin and I hiked to Sugarloaf campground for facilities but there was nothing but a vault toilet at the hiker campground.

5 stars for poison ivy habitat. It was impossible not to step on poison ivy. It intertwined the whole trail.

4 stars for excitement. The trail was diverse. Some of it was hilly and rocky. Some was through the forest. Some was through fields. Some was through streams.