Upper Macatawa Natural Area

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(140)
Zeeland, Michigan

Upper Macatawa Natural Area is a 6.3 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Zeeland, Michigan that features a river. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.3 km Elevation Gain: 33 m Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

paved

Parking lots are located on 76th and 84th Avenues to access the various hiking and cross-country ski trails. There is 0.5 miles of paved trail beginning at the 84th Ave. access leading to a scenic overlook.

Trail is extremely narrow and overgrown. It will need some serious work to make it a nice mountain bike trail again.

Nice trails. Some sections were paved, others were dirt/grassy trails which were all maintained well. Saw lots of birds and snakes which made it fun, as well as a river, small ponds, and creeks. I saw the mountain biking trails and will definitely be coming back to try them out! Overall, really nice time and I’d come back for sure!

I had a very nice time walking these trails. If I were to choose three words to describe what I experienced I would write peace, beauty, and happiness. There was an abundance of wildlife to see, along with many stops to enjoy the view. I gave my experience 5 stars because in thinking about it, I could find nothing negative to say. Would recommend!

Mother’s Day adventure with mama bear Kraai. We learned how to walk:)

The paved paths- Did not go on them today, but have many times. They are well maintained and a good option for toddlers that want to do some walking and some riding in the stroller. Tend to be reasonably busy, but it's a wide path. The natural terrain paths- very flat, but nice views and interesting. The "seasonally" wet trails. I have lived in the area and never seen them dry. Today I decided to go for it since I didn't care if I got a little wet. Yeah, it was really wet. I was walking in standing water up to my knees twice and smelled thoroughly like a wet dog when done. The bird watching was great though. I also got the trail to myself despite the parking lot being full and people parking on the road. The one star off is because of what is outside the park. You can hear the highway at least a little throughout the park. There is also a very short stretch where you get a very strong smell from what I think is a pig farm basically next door. It's still a fun park to visit.

It was really nice. Beautiful. I did see 5 snakes and the gf wasn't too happy about that. But it was fun. I did end up having to pick up a bit of trash though. Good parking. Some of the non-paved areas are pretty muddy right now, but nothing surprising.

Paved trail and narrow trails in the woods were nice. Grass mowed areas were muddy and I saw 2 snakes! Panic happened- Good for dogs- minus the snakes it was a good hike

I enjoyed this trail! Most of the unpaved trail is through fields which was fun! I saw some geese and ducks and a couple turkeys! The paved part of the trail was very nice. Although the unpaved trail was muddy it was still fun and I would recommend it.

flooded

recorded Upper Macatawa Natural Area

Nice open area with paved + Mountain biking trails.

Great biking trail, rolling hills and many winding corner and wooden bridges on some turns - fell off the last bridge trying to get more speed through a bank. So take it slow on your first loop.. and the smell of the farm is a real thing, but it goes away after the first mile in.

flooded

recorded Upper Macatawa Natural Area

Half paved, half natural trail. Only go during dry spell otherwise quite muddy after rains. Would prefer more walking through woods. This trail walks along a marshy river more than woods.

Great trail system, lower elevation trails were muddy and slick. High ground was perfect.

It was great with an amazing view UNTIL we got t the more brushy areas & then there were snakes. Only scared of stepping on them, but just a warning.

Decent trail. Pretty flat hike and more of a walk . Beautiful staging and parking area. Looks like great mountain bike trail.