Upper and Lower Tahquamenon Falls

Upper and Lower Tahquamenon Falls is a 10.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Newberry, Michigan that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

We started from Lower Falls campground and did the round trip between the falls. I would definitely call this trail moderate rather than easy as there are a lot of stairs, hills, and roots. Make sure to bring water and sturdy footwear - this is not the hike to wear flip-flops on!

The scenery was nice and went from woods to swamp and back again. We didn't see much wildlife though due to the trail being so heavily trafficked. The views along the river were still a treat though and we got some great landscape photos. If I were in the park again I'd probably do one of the less popular trails.

We made this into a 4 mile one-way hike. We hiked from the Upper to the Lower falls, along what the signs called the "river trail." I would rate it as an easy hike, able to be done by children as well as adults.

Clearly marked, but slightly muddy in some spots depending on the time of year. We went in July and I had to go around 2-3 muddy spots about 3 feet wide. Not a big deal at all.

There are some very lopsided wooden bridges/walkways that cross the streams. We think the wooden support beams sank into the mud, creating a very sloped surface. If nothing else, this only adds to the charm of the trail and offers some interesting photo ops!

For the most part, the trail follows the river closely, such that you get some great views along the way. We hiked it in the late afternoon and didn't get eaten by mosquitoes, although had we done this later in the day it could have been a different story!

Highly recommend for those who want to hike but aren't up for the entire 10 mile trail! Plus, its a great way to get from one fall to the other, rather than driving.

This trail is super fun! We just hiked it this weekend and we did the entire 10.1 miles. If your hiking the entire 10.1 the trail is not an easy one. Going one way I would say the trail is moderate. My 5,8,and 10 year all hiked the entire 10.1, so it can be done. Just plan on being sore the next day! Enjoy!!

This trail was gorgeous! It definitely says Moderate when you’re hiking not Easy. Lots of ups and downs but we loved it!

Great shade, a little muddy in spots.

Absolutely beautiful views! The trail for the lower falls goes up and down a lot, so if you're out of shape be prepared for that. I think this trail is probably more moderate than easy, but it's so very worth it.

We started from the lower falls campground, site 145. If you go to the bottom of that loop, there is a small loop trail that takes you down to lower falls. We took the the branch going east to start, and it's about .7 miles of really nice pine forrest trail. After exploring the lower falls, we took the .3 mile board walk around the north of the falls and to the start of the official "4 mile trail" to upper falls.

Depending on how often and where you've hiked before, you'll have different feelings on this trail. For me, it was average scenery, mostly through woods but occasionally along the river. The trail is very rooty and has a couple of hills at the start of the 4 mile trail and near the end. Nothing too difficult. I'm sure it's due to time of year (mid July), but several sections of this trail are very overgrown with weeds. The trail is always easy to see, but you'll be fighting overgrowth for about 15% of the trail.

At upper falls you will have to negotiate a bunch of stairs to see the falls. Make sure you go to the end of the boardwalk for best view.

After we were done, we turned around and hiked back. Once we got to lower falls, we got in the water, which was surprisingly warm, then headed back on the shorter "western" leg of the loop up to lower falls campsite. There are nice markers at the intersections with picture of the trail map so you'll know what I mean when you see it.

For this loop I had it measured via Garmin at 9.7 miles. If you walk all the way up upper falls park to the actual falls, I could see it being 10+.

We did 11 miles round trip from our campground site 107 to the lower to upper falls! We enjoyed this easy hike. Ending at the upper falls was a beautiful and breathtaking!

Trail was absolutely gorgeous! A little muddy in spots. I actually slipped and sprained my ankle a little more than half way up the falls. Just tightened my shoes and kept going and glad I did! Such gorgeous scenery! Although I think this is a moderately difficult trail.

nice walk and good views

Went on a rainy day so trail was pretty slippery! Took a few tumbles along the trail but overall Enjoyed the trip there and back.

Nice little hike. Did it with a 4 and 7 year old and had a great time for being close to home.

Awesome hike, very easy. I have hiked this trail at leat four times. If you don't like hiking the same way you came in park a bike on one end and take the paved road back. Watch for cars!

Nice hike, a lot of mud on the trail between the paved/boardwalked upper and lower falls viewing areas if you are worried about getting dirty and only a handful of views along this trail but still fun to hike when it gets off of the river flats. If you are planing on doing the brewery at the upper falls, would recommend you start at the lower hike up and eat/drink then take the shuttle bus back down to the lower. There is row boat rentals at the lower falls to go out to the island for better views of the lower falls.

Good trail, well marked, don't think I would call it easy though. The falls at either end are beautiful, didn't see any wildlife aside from the squirrels. FYI if you have a dog the upper falls viewing areas may be difficult for them to reach. There are 100 steps down to the viewing areas which are all made of metal grates that my dogs paws (he's 45 lbs.) would easily go through.

Hiked this in late September. Really enjoyed the views of both the falls and the river. Even though most of this hike was through woods the bugs were barely noticeable. I'm sure that in the middle of summer they may be a nuisance. Trail was well defined.

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Awesome hike, beautiful scenery, more complicated than some would think. Not for the faint of heart.

Thursday, August 24, 2017

Can get quite muddy!

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Beautiful trail, but very muddy and more difficult because of the mud. Ended up taking the shuttle back at Lower Falls instead of hiking back, as 5 miles took 3 hours. Would definitely recommend hiking boots for this one! Beautiful trail, lots of climbs and descents, gorgeous scenery and nature.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Great trail. Walked from the upper to the lower. Lots of tree roots and muddy areas. Take bug spray a, hat , water and a camera. Take it slow. Hilly, steps . Beautiful trail.

Friday, July 21, 2017

Hiked from Upper to Lower. Excellent hike. Nicely maintained trails and beautiful scenery. Got there at 9:30 and had the trail all to ourselves the first 2 miles. Moderate rating was accurate. A few mosquitos but as long as you expect bugs and come prepared, it doesn't detract from the experience at all. Shuttle is available to take you back to Upper falls if you're not up for the 4.5 mile return trip but make sure you have cash on you, it's a little expensive.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Loved it. Mosquitoes weren't too bad. Beautiful views.

Saturday, October 01, 2016

An excellent introduction for younger hikers - an easy walk in the woods with a beautiful reward at the end.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

hiked between two falls. A moderate hike.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Main trail is paved, but there are other trail options- including a jaunt out & back on the NCT. Highly recommend finding the lower traffic areas. One star off for the touristy feel of the entire place & extremely high traffic areas. The falls themselves are gorgeous & well worth the trip. I recommend taking the nature trail from the upper falls parking lot & approaching them from afar- rather than funneling in with the crowd. Late afternoon seemed a much better time to be there population-wise. It was packed around 11am.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Very scenic. Paved and high traffic

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Awesome trail! Be sure to bring your swimsuit!

Saturday, August 09, 2014

Beautiful scenery, nice spots for taking pictures and overall an easy trek.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Upper and lower falls are beautiful. The trails are well marked and have boardwalks near the falls. The trails is approximately 4.8 miles one way. We were there early in the day and not many other hikers. If you go later in the day, there is a shuttle between the upper and lower falls making it only the 4.8 mile hike. We only did about 2 miles near the lower falls and the trail was peaceful. As we had another hike planned for later, we drove up to the upper falls.
Well worth the visit to Tahquamenon Falls State Park.