Learn more

Sleeping Bear Point Trail is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glen Arbor Township, Michigan that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Length 2.5 mi Elevation gain 314 ft Route type Loop

Wildlife

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (1)

Please note that closures have been reported for this trail.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (158)
Photos (137)
Recordings (129)
Completed (354)
Colin Ruschel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jul 02 2020

Tons of sand. Loved it!

Libby Wedesky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 30 2020
HikingBugsNo shade

This trail was labeled as being “good for children” however it was hugely challenging for me as an adult. It was also labeled “Moderate” in difficulty. I would say it is hard. It is climbing in heavy thick sand steep hills and dunes pretty much the entire time. It’s hot with very little shade until you reach the end of the trail which cuts though the woods. I had a come to Jesus moment with myself on one of the last steep inclines and began crying out of the blue. It was very hard for me (being out of shape and oversight) to do this trail easily. The views at the summits were amazing and seeing the graveyard forest was pretty cool. There is a spot near the end of the trail that is washed out and muddy, logs have been laid over it and you kind of have to traverse it. There are also a plethora of sand flies, that bite. And bug spray does not repel them. I feel good having accomplished the trail, but by no means was it easy. It took my family, with a 8, 6, and 4 year old, 90 minutes to complete. We started at the beginning and ended at the end of the loop.

Alayna Moore
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 29 2020
Hiking

Very little shade but worth the hike!

View Alayna's Recording
Nancy Myers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 25 2020
Hiking

Great trails with many beautiful views of the lake. Lots of dunes and hills. You are walking through sand most of the trail. At the end it is through a nice pine area. One spot is flooded but there are logs to go across on. We were lucky that people left some walking sticks to help get across.

Heather Bosman
Hiking

SO MANY VIEWS! Pictures do not do it justice! One of my favorite hikes in the area. We even saw a snake and some frogs sunning themselves on the logs in the flooded area.

View Heather's Recording
Stephen Giuffrida
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 24 2020
Hiking

Awesome trail. Flooded area in the wooded part, but manageable to get through. Counter clockwise was great to face water on the trail once you get to true sandy area.

View Stephen's Recording
LIV WEST
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jun 12 2020
Hiking

Loop starts at ends at two different places, but both at the parking lot. Would not recommend starting at the marked trailhead with a sign if you are looking for a less strenuous hike.

View LIV's Recording
Dan Dolsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 07 2020
Hiking

The views here are amazing. A great hike through the “Sahara of Lake Michigan.”

Kaitlyn Seagraves
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 03 2020
Hiking

Very sandy! Bring a pair of sandals to switch before hopping back into your car. Definitely would not recommend for those with kids or that are out of shape, lots of dunes that you must go up and down. Otherwise, there’s beautiful views throughout and it was lovely scenery.

View Kaitlyn 's Recording
Katie Webber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 13 2020
HikingClosed

Currently closed.

Brittany Sigafoose
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat May 02 2020

Sandy and hilly

View Brittany's Recording
Ashley Ann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Jan 25 2020
HikingSnow
View Ashley's Recording
Rhiannon Cullip
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jan 03 2020
Hiking

Hiking with Holly. Crazy winds so just stuck to the wooded trail area. Beautiful in the woods.

View Rhiannon's Recording
Rox Shetler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jan 01 2020
HikingSnow
View Rox's Recording
Brad Blase
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Nov 07 2019
Hiking

Really nice but a little tough in the snow and windy cold. About half the trail is in the dunes and half in the woods.

View Brad's Recording
Julia Lenart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 26 2019
HikingBugsNo shade

Always one of my favorite trails at sleeping bear. Take the trail from the back end for a better view of Lake Michigan.

View Julia's Recording
Birgitte van Galen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Aug 29 2019
Hiking

First part of trail is sand in the middle of the forrest. Not natural. quiet trail in the morning.

Cassie Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 18 2019
Hiking

The trail was very well marked, and the views were incredible. Some points you would find yourself in a long stretch of just dunes, which was difficult and very hard uphill! We knew what we were getting into and still have a hard time here and there. Also don’t let the name “point” fool ya, there was never an actual point to get to. It was worth it, but I won’t go out of my way to do it again!

Eric T.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Aug 14 2019
Hiking

my favorite trail from sleeping bear dunes. go counter clockwise! great view of the beach the whole time... and then you get to swim in the beach after the hike!

Sean Swikle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Aug 05 2019
Hiking

Fun! Fresh! I saw sand! And trees too!!

View Sean's Recording
Brooke Newton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 16 2019
Hiking

Okay, the views are amazing once you make it to the top but like Dawn says below...85% is uphill sand dunes. I am out of shape but hike a few times a year. This was super challenging, as for my boyfriend who is military struggled but he had a much easier time than I did. I would say this is difficult not moderate, so I don’t know who decides how to rank the trails but the moderate ranking is definitely incorrect. We were out on the trail around 3:30 pm with a high of 83 and it was way too hot with little to no shade during the dunes section. We were the only people out on this loop. The markings are clear, so you shouldn’t get lost. If you are in search of an amazing view do it. We wore tennis shoes and carried a ton of sand in our shoes after the trip...maybe wear hiking sandals.

Jeff Yost
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 12 2019
Hiking

Perfect loop trail and some perfect conditions, but the Sleeping Bear Point trail turned out to be not so “sleepy”! My 3 kids (10, 7 & 7) and I started out today heading clockwise so we would end up at the beach for a swim after the 2.5 mile loop. Just after we cleared the forest about 0.6 miles in, we stopped to look at the view before the small descent and out of no where a smaller black bear crossed the trail about 20yds in front of us! 2/3 kids were pretty scared as the bear ran and disappeared in the brush. After a few minutes of calming them down we continued onwards clapping and singing loudly about how we weren’t afraid of bears. About the time we hit the ghost forest the kids had figured out that might be one of the coolest experiences that not a lot of people get to have. We took the side trail at the end to swim in the lake and saw only a dozen or so other people in the water. On the way back we saw a park ranger in the lot and let him know about the sighting. He confirmed there are a few in the park that they know of and was excited to hear the kids tell the story. Easily one of the most memorable Sleeping Bear Dunes experiences we will ever have!

Abby Rohr
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Dec 30 2018

Great hike! Starts in the dunes and ends in the evergreen forest, lovely.

Kaitlin K
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Aug 20 2018

Right off the trailhead you can either go left or right. If you go to the right, it’s just a short walk to an incredible and secluded beach where you will be one of a few people occupying the beach. We ended up staying there and swimming for hours! However, the left side of the trail at the Y has “okay” views and tons of dunes. It was alright, maybe 2/5 stars. But that beach was soooooo amazing! So clear!

Paul Dye
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Jul 05 2018
Hiking

Actually didn’t get to hike the trail. Got here to find a sign(looked to be pretty new) saying no dogs. We had just drivin 45 minutes with dogs in tote.

Mindy Dye

45 minutes drive to this “dog friendly” trail to find a “no pets” sign posted. Might be a great trail but not happy after driving 45 minutes to get here.

Dawn Kaczmar
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue May 08 2018
Hiking

I HATED this trail! Many reviews of this hike were really positive and said that it had a variety of terrain. 85% of the trail is sand dunes, with the remaining 15% is forest. The forest part IS quite nice, but also quite short. Had I known so much of it would be really monotonous looking sand dune, I would not have gone. Before I had even reached the midway point, I was cursing the sand and just thinking about how much I hated this trail. Clearly some people really like this trail, but I was not a fan.

Lyndsey Faler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 05 2018

Great variety of terrain- great views!