Sleeping Bear Point Trail

Sleeping Bear Point Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Glen Arbor Township, Michigan that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 314 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

Okay, the views are amazing once you make it to the top but like Dawn says below...85% is uphill sand dunes. I am out of shape but hike a few times a year. This was super challenging, as for my boyfriend who is military struggled but he had a much easier time than I did. I would say this is difficult not moderate, so I don’t know who decides how to rank the trails but the moderate ranking is definitely incorrect. We were out on the trail around 3:30 pm with a high of 83 and it was way too hot with little to no shade during the dunes section. We were the only people out on this loop. The markings are clear, so you shouldn’t get lost. If you are in search of an amazing view do it. We wore tennis shoes and carried a ton of sand in our shoes after the trip...maybe wear hiking sandals.

Perfect loop trail and some perfect conditions, but the Sleeping Bear Point trail turned out to be not so “sleepy”! My 3 kids (10, 7 & 7) and I started out today heading clockwise so we would end up at the beach for a swim after the 2.5 mile loop. Just after we cleared the forest about 0.6 miles in, we stopped to look at the view before the small descent and out of no where a smaller black bear crossed the trail about 20yds in front of us! 2/3 kids were pretty scared as the bear ran and disappeared in the brush. After a few minutes of calming them down we continued onwards clapping and singing loudly about how we weren’t afraid of bears. About the time we hit the ghost forest the kids had figured out that might be one of the coolest experiences that not a lot of people get to have. We took the side trail at the end to swim in the lake and saw only a dozen or so other people in the water. On the way back we saw a park ranger in the lot and let him know about the sighting. He confirmed there are a few in the park that they know of and was excited to hear the kids tell the story. Easily one of the most memorable Sleeping Bear Dunes experiences we will ever have!

Great hike! Starts in the dunes and ends in the evergreen forest, lovely.

Right off the trailhead you can either go left or right. If you go to the right, it’s just a short walk to an incredible and secluded beach where you will be one of a few people occupying the beach. We ended up staying there and swimming for hours! However, the left side of the trail at the Y has “okay” views and tons of dunes. It was alright, maybe 2/5 stars. But that beach was soooooo amazing! So clear!

Thursday, July 05, 2018

Actually didn’t get to hike the trail. Got here to find a sign(looked to be pretty new) saying no dogs. We had just drivin 45 minutes with dogs in tote.

Thursday, July 05, 2018

45 minutes drive to this “dog friendly” trail to find a “no pets” sign posted. Might be a great trail but not happy after driving 45 minutes to get here.

Tuesday, May 08, 2018

I HATED this trail! Many reviews of this hike were really positive and said that it had a variety of terrain. 85% of the trail is sand dunes, with the remaining 15% is forest. The forest part IS quite nice, but also quite short. Had I known so much of it would be really monotonous looking sand dune, I would not have gone. Before I had even reached the midway point, I was cursing the sand and just thinking about how much I hated this trail. Clearly some people really like this trail, but I was not a fan.

Saturday, May 05, 2018

Great variety of terrain- great views!

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Agree with review below, a favorite for the lower peninsula. Recommend heading out clockwise...reaching the water last. That way you can look for Petoskey stones as long as you want. Otherwise, you have the remaining hike looming. Terrain changes are amazing. A favorite for sure

Sunday, March 25, 2018

Beautiful

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Iiiiiiiki n go k K need m

Thursday, December 28, 2017

One of my favorite hikes in Lower Michigan. Excellent views and diverse trail.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Exhilarating hike in mostly sand. Lots of amazing views.

Sunday, September 17, 2017

I felt it was a very tough hike but well worth it. There are a ton of amazing views of the lake and the beach was very nice with amazing views of the islands.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Hiked this trail on a late Sunday morning. We first stopped at the beach, which was gorgeous. The water was crystal clear and there were only a few people on the beach. The trail is well marked with blue posts and as always, hiking in sand adds a different level of difficulty to the hike. The views are incredible throughout and towards the end you are able to "cool down" by hiking on stable ground through some forest. We only passed one person walking in the opposite direction and seemed to have the trail to ourselves. It did seem as if the beach became more crowded when we finished as the parking lot was full of cars and bikes.

Friday, August 11, 2017

absolutely love the view

Monday, June 26, 2017

Various terrains represented Great hike and swim Hit the CG museum on the way out

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Great hike. The first part of the hike splits to a short hike out to a beach on the Lake Michigan Shore. The return from the lake choices are return to the parking lot or the full loop. The full loop starts with mostly sand dunes and is the slower part of the hike. The trail then leafs into beautiful forested trails. Moderate to strenuous.

Saturday, January 30, 2016

This trail was better than we expected it to be. The first half of the trail is on the exposed sand dunes. There are great views of the lake from here! The second part is through a forested area. It was a good, short, easy hike with pleasant views.

Sunday, November 01, 2015

If you can only do one hike in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, do this one! A little bit of everything: woods, dunes, water; shaded and more exposed areas; beautiful in every season. Easy-to-follow trail markers.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

We hiked off the loop, just along the coast because it was so amazing. Blue water with 3 tones of blue, amazing cliffs and the dunes were amazing. You feel like you are in another country. Take water and a hiking stick because the dunes are tough to walk over.

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Took our first honeymoon to this area. A great hike, very sandy, and amazing dunes. Great place to visit.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Been doing this train almost every year of my life. Gorgeous views. Nice and moderately rugged. Sandy trail. Will do it again.

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Great trail. Sandy pretty much the whole way. Good variety. Start In wooded area, through and over sand dunes and back into woods. Lots of up and down, but none of it extreme. Great scenery, including both Manitou islands and dunescapes. My 5 and 6 year olds did it with energy to spare. Took us about an hour and a half with lots of photo stops and water breaks.

Saturday, August 21, 2010

This is an easy and scenic trail. Sandy Michigan soil is a relief for feet...