Saugatuck Dunes South Trail

Saugatuck Dunes South Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Holland, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

A day-use park along a secluded strip of Lake Michigan shoreline, Saugatuck Dunes State Park offers 1,000 acres of land with 2.5 miles of shore line. The Lake Michigan beach is a 0.6 mile hike from the picnic parking area. In addition, the park has fresh water coastal dunes that are over 200 feet tall. The park's terrain varies from steep slopes to rolling hills. The park, located in Allegan County, is relatively undeveloped. The land for Saugatuck Dunes was acquired in 1971 from the Augustinian Order, who used the buildings as a seminary. When the state took ownership, the structures were used as a prison and state police offices.

Trail head for the south trail was on the Livingston trail. We walked the trail, my wife and I and we both found the trail pleasantly nice until we got to the sand dunes, this is were the moderate rating is earned. Though not to bad for me, I rested a few times going up the trail. The entire trail was sand, either hard pack with dirt and the loose stuff was by the lake. We enjoyed this trail and would recommend it.

Beautiful hike! Caught the sunset with my dogs on the beach, but next time I won't forget my headlamp for the hike out in the pitch black!

Awesome hiking trails!

This is our favorite "hike to Lake Michigan" trail. Beach is usually private when we go in September on a 70 degree or more day (sunny).

Love this trail ~ open dunes, forest, and beach access! Great dunes along the way & at the beach. Definitely earned its "Moderate" rating!

The end goal is a beauty it was pretty tough.