Potawatomi Trail

Potawatomi Trail is a 17.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Unadilla Township, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

If you enjoy a peaceful trail run with very little traffic, this is the place to be! You will find hikers in the summer months and a few mountain bikers, but this challenging loop offers great outdoor fun all year round.

Excellent running trail, I didn’t encounter any bikes but there was still a decent amount of snow on the ground. This is the only place to train for the Hell 50 mile ultra marathon because other trails in the area aren’t nearly as challenging.

Great running conditions, brought our dogs for the loop. There's a good amount of mountain biking, so keep an eye up ahead of you and your animals close on leashes. The hills are rolling, beautiful landscape, super pretty in the fall! Definitely need to get back and mountain bike there.

Oh, and there are spigots for water and bathrooms!! Well marked trails. A+

Beautiful trail I hiked their 3 times

Beautiful trail that will kick your butt. Well worth the effort.

Difficult. Really.

spent 4 days here this weekend. it is beautiful and nice trails. people need to learn what poison ivy looks like before they report it to be everywhere. poison ivy has 3 leaves and a hairy vine. i didn't see any poison ivy. definitely going back soon!!!

I did the ~11 mile loop on a Saturday. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. It is a quite a bit hilly but the inclines were gradual. The bikers were all nice but there were many of them. As others have mentioned, be careful when stepping to the side as there is a lot of poison ivy.

Backpacked this trail over Memorial Day Weekend, Saturday into Sunday. This was my FIRST backpacking trip ever. Hiked the 7 miles into Blind Lake camp from HQ, using the shortcut. The DNR map is not very helpful, we were confused a couple of times so we ended up using GPS on our phone to double check where we where. The water source on the shortcut is a down the road a little bit by the Yurt camping. For Blind Lake being a hike in campground, it was busier than I expected. Then I realized with the road being nearby, many people just got dropped off close to the camp and "hiked" the 200 yards to their campsite. Kids, wagons, lacrosse sticks.. etc. The lake was also more active than I anticipated for a hike-in, jet skis and loud boats.. but it was Memorial Day Weekend. Everyone was very nice, including the bikers, trail runners and people with dogs. We opted to stand on side when they came by, lots of poison ivy.. just a warning. The next morning we hiked out using the shortcut by the stone fireplace. Our phone gave out so we didn't get a full map of the route, but another hiker mapped it at around 11.1 miles using both of these shortcuts. As a first time backpacker, this was a tough trail, lots of hills.. but my sister and I are VERY stubborn so we finished. I have a new love of hiking sticks, I learned they can be very helpful. We averaged just under 2 mph for the hike, and we definitely want to go back and hike more of the trails as day hikes.

We went Saturday morning thru Sunday early afternoon on Memorial Day Weekend. We hiked full 18 miles but ran out of battery on phone so could record whole trek. Lots of Mountain bikers.

Good place for trail running. Soft ground. Long trail. Moderate inclines and declines. There are also a lot of BBQ racks on the lake shore. So in warm weather, it would be nice to enjoy some BBQ after a hard run.

Great place to train if you're going on a hike somewhere west or up north!!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Great trail - diverse landscape and challenging terrain. I hiked it all today and my distance tracker showed 20 miles, possibly due to taking other bits of connecting trails. I hiked this in mid February and it was quite icy and wet. I'm excited to see how the trail is late spring.

I found keeping on the Patoawatomi a bit confusing at times because while most intersections have signage, the distance you travel at some points between signs is miles and there are countless off-trails and shore trails. Nevertheless, if hiking, just look out for cyclists and step aside when they are coming through and it should be a great day hike.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Can you do an over night trip here? Pitch a tent for the night like now in December? Would like to do an over nighter.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Great trails! A lot of elevation changes, footing can be a little treacherous in a few places with rocks and roots. Only downside is not the trail itself, but bike riders coming in the opposite direction not always paying attention to trail traffic.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Amazing hiking trail would be 5 stars but the mountain bikes come out of nowhere at speed and have no regard for people on the trail.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

I day hiked the 17.7 mile loop on Sunday, 14th of August, going counter-clock , as the bikers go clockwise. There were very few hikers, but lots of bikers.
The good:
- It’s a loop! You can park at different locations, and get back (I started at Hankerd Rd)
- Nice shade - mostly through woods and some lake banks. Not muddy, as it has sandy soil.
- Moderate workout (not recommended the whole hike in a day for beginners)
- Has a nice backcountry camping site near Blind lake (you can take a swim there during summer); sites can be reserved and paid online. https://www.midnrreservations.com/PinckneyRecreationArea%2fBlindLake%3fList

The not so good:
- Lots of poison ivy an trail sides (wear long pants, or long socks);
- Too many bikers share the trail make and it easy to get into a collision… probably during the week is somewhat different.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Killer trail. Lots of roots and drop offs. Definitely a challenge but very very fun.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Great hike. Rustic trail makes it more like a walk through the woods thanks cultivated park. Shared trail with a few mountain bikers. Suggest biker add bells to warn hikers they're coming.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Fairly challenging and a lot of bike traffic. Had fun overall though and the walk-in rustic camp was nice.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

The trail itself is very well maintained, and there were very few areas blocked by overgrowth or fallen trees. There are a lot of lakes that make for very nice scenery, and if you pack accordingly, you could go off trail to swim. Bikers are traveling in the opposite direction of hikers, and flyby very fast sometimes. Blazes are sporadic, and mile markers not present, but it's fine. All in all, a very nice trail for hiking.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Very poorly marked trail. You would think that with as many people who have complained about this, corrections would be made, I won't be back.

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

We backpacked from the trailhead into Blind Lake campground and had a blast. It is challenging trail to say the least. Lots of hills, several are quite large and difficult. It's about a 7 mile hike into Blind Lake (if you take the shortcut like we did) and about 4.5 mile hike back out. Our campsite was rusticly gorgeous. I will do this again after I lighten the load in my pack.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Great loop. Nice to have a long loop in central MI that never gets boring. Definitely try a few 6-9 mile hikes before committing to the full 17. You can take a few shortcuts to turn this into a 10 mile if you look at a map. The scenery is great and lightly trafficked generally. Not much elevation change to get the heart rate up but still a great workout due to distance alone.

Monday, May 23, 2016

This was a great trail to take the kids hiking on. Just hard enough for a good cardio workout. We loved it.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

I enjoyed hiking this trail a few weeks ago with a meetup group. It was a cold, wet day in May, but we shared the trail with friendly hikers and runners. some dogs were there. The trail was hilly, but fairly narrower than I expected. we hiked a short loop of 5 miles. I recommend this trail and will return.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

love it out here amazing, beautiful very rustic but that's OK the view is awesome must see

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

This was the first backpacking trip my husband and I have ever been on. It was great and close to home. The first day we set out to blind lake camp ground and made great time. From marker 1 to 12 it was about 7 miles. Lots of lakes and marshes. I would recommend camp site 2 since it was right on the water and had beautiful views. The only down side to this camp ground was the well was not close to the restroom. Even though the site said no fires I called the DNR and they said that is fine. The second day we knew rain was coming so we took the shortest route to the crooked lake camp ground which was about 5 miles. This camp ground was nice, but cars and trailers where allowed. Over all not very scenic but a great beginner trail. I would defiantly go back again.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

This trail is absolutely gorgeous. This makes for an amazing day!

Sunday, April 10, 2016

We hiked out of Silver Lake yesterday, it was our first trail hike ever. We had a little trouble finding the trail head but very quickly we found that the trail was perfectly marked and signed. There was even a few "wrong way" signs! There where a few runners out and some mountain bikers. The trail was clear, quiet, clean and well maintained. Very scenic area, we loved it!

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

The variety is outstanding! It has all the different types of terrain that make Southern MI beautiful and interesting. The rapid elevation changes make it a real challenge. Blind Lake campground was beautiful and serene (until the summer partiers in one of the lake houses started shooting off fireworks). Just don't camp too close to the outhouse!