Potawatomi Trail

Potawatomi Trail is a 17.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Unadilla Township, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

If you enjoy a peaceful trail run with very little traffic, this is the place to be! You will find hikers in the summer months and a few mountain bikers, but this challenging loop offers great outdoor fun all year round.

Great running conditions, brought our dogs for the loop. There's a good amount of mountain biking, so keep an eye up ahead of you and your animals close on leashes. The hills are rolling, beautiful landscape, super pretty in the fall! Definitely need to get back and mountain bike there.

Oh, and there are spigots for water and bathrooms!! Well marked trails. A+

Beautiful trail I hiked their 3 times

Beautiful trail that will kick your butt. Well worth the effort.

Difficult. Really.

spent 4 days here this weekend. it is beautiful and nice trails. people need to learn what poison ivy looks like before they report it to be everywhere. poison ivy has 3 leaves and a hairy vine. i didn't see any poison ivy. definitely going back soon!!!

I did the ~11 mile loop on a Saturday. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. It is a quite a bit hilly but the inclines were gradual. The bikers were all nice but there were many of them. As others have mentioned, be careful when stepping to the side as there is a lot of poison ivy.

Backpacked this trail over Memorial Day Weekend, Saturday into Sunday. This was my FIRST backpacking trip ever. Hiked the 7 miles into Blind Lake camp from HQ, using the shortcut. The DNR map is not very helpful, we were confused a couple of times so we ended up using GPS on our phone to double check where we where. The water source on the shortcut is a down the road a little bit by the Yurt camping. For Blind Lake being a hike in campground, it was busier than I expected. Then I realized with the road being nearby, many people just got dropped off close to the camp and "hiked" the 200 yards to their campsite. Kids, wagons, lacrosse sticks.. etc. The lake was also more active than I anticipated for a hike-in, jet skis and loud boats.. but it was Memorial Day Weekend. Everyone was very nice, including the bikers, trail runners and people with dogs. We opted to stand on side when they came by, lots of poison ivy.. just a warning. The next morning we hiked out using the shortcut by the stone fireplace. Our phone gave out so we didn't get a full map of the route, but another hiker mapped it at around 11.1 miles using both of these shortcuts. As a first time backpacker, this was a tough trail, lots of hills.. but my sister and I are VERY stubborn so we finished. I have a new love of hiking sticks, I learned they can be very helpful. We averaged just under 2 mph for the hike, and we definitely want to go back and hike more of the trails as day hikes.

We went Saturday morning thru Sunday early afternoon on Memorial Day Weekend. We hiked full 18 miles but ran out of battery on phone so could record whole trek. Lots of Mountain bikers.

Good place for trail running. Soft ground. Long trail. Moderate inclines and declines. There are also a lot of BBQ racks on the lake shore. So in warm weather, it would be nice to enjoy some BBQ after a hard run.

Great place to train if you're going on a hike somewhere west or up north!!

Great trail - diverse landscape and challenging terrain. I hiked it all today and my distance tracker showed 20 miles, possibly due to taking other bits of connecting trails. I hiked this in mid February and it was quite icy and wet. I'm excited to see how the trail is late spring.

I found keeping on the Patoawatomi a bit confusing at times because while most intersections have signage, the distance you travel at some points between signs is miles and there are countless off-trails and shore trails. Nevertheless, if hiking, just look out for cyclists and step aside when they are coming through and it should be a great day hike.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Can you do an over night trip here? Pitch a tent for the night like now in December? Would like to do an over nighter.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Great trails! A lot of elevation changes, footing can be a little treacherous in a few places with rocks and roots. Only downside is not the trail itself, but bike riders coming in the opposite direction not always paying attention to trail traffic.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Amazing hiking trail would be 5 stars but the mountain bikes come out of nowhere at speed and have no regard for people on the trail.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

I day hiked the 17.7 mile loop on Sunday, 14th of August, going counter-clock , as the bikers go clockwise. There were very few hikers, but lots of bikers.
The good:
- It’s a loop! You can park at different locations, and get back (I started at Hankerd Rd)
- Nice shade - mostly through woods and some lake banks. Not muddy, as it has sandy soil.
- Moderate workout (not recommended the whole hike in a day for beginners)
- Has a nice backcountry camping site near Blind lake (you can take a swim there during summer); sites can be reserved and paid online. https://www.midnrreservations.com/PinckneyRecreationArea%2fBlindLake%3fList

The not so good:
- Lots of poison ivy an trail sides (wear long pants, or long socks);
- Too many bikers share the trail make and it easy to get into a collision… probably during the week is somewhat different.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Killer trail. Lots of roots and drop offs. Definitely a challenge but very very fun.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Great hike. Rustic trail makes it more like a walk through the woods thanks cultivated park. Shared trail with a few mountain bikers. Suggest biker add bells to warn hikers they're coming.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Fairly challenging and a lot of bike traffic. Had fun overall though and the walk-in rustic camp was nice.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

The trail itself is very well maintained, and there were very few areas blocked by overgrowth or fallen trees. There are a lot of lakes that make for very nice scenery, and if you pack accordingly, you could go off trail to swim. Bikers are traveling in the opposite direction of hikers, and flyby very fast sometimes. Blazes are sporadic, and mile markers not present, but it's fine. All in all, a very nice trail for hiking.

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Very poorly marked trail. You would think that with as many people who have complained about this, corrections would be made, I won't be back.