Potawatomi Trail is a 17.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Unadilla Township, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

If you enjoy a peaceful trail run with very little traffic, this is the place to be! You will find hikers in the summer months and a few mountain bikers, but this challenging loop offers great outdoor fun all year round.

great trail. watch out for the bikers

I have ran the trail a couple times and really enjoy it, the most difficult trail you will find in southeastern Michigan. Mountain bikes travel in the opposite direction, so you have to keep your eye out for them. I try to get out there early, but still come across a dozen bikers on the weekend.

This is a great trail. I brought my 9 year old son who’s a 21st century digital boy. Definitely didn’t do the complete 17 miles but with the shortcuts and a few other tricks we made it out and had a great time. Both crooked lake and blind lake campsites are nice. And I loved the water pumps. We still used a sawyer water filter because ya never know. Mosquitos weren’t too bad but that’s probably because haven’t had rain in a week or so. We did have to move aside for about 15 mountain bikers along the way but we could always see them coming. I highly recommend this beautiful trail.

Easy and beautiful hiking! Nice rolling hills.

Thank you note to the park rangers who they went of their way to come in and help evacuate one of my friend hiker when she felt sick . I lead hike every weekend almost on this trail. It is one of the most amazing trail in the area .

Great trails and a ton of fun

the trails are a good excersize. but if you camp, there are weird howeling noises at night along the trails for hours. probably dogs? i barely slept, thinking of Bigfoot.

Completed the full 17+ mile loop a few weeks back. Well marked and the trail was very well-maintained. The campsites partway through were nice to stop at for a water resupply. Would rate the trail as challenging due to the numerous hills, but definitely doable. Some beautiful views along the way, though the mosquitoes made it so that our stops were very limited and short-lived. Would highly recommend, just bring some bug spray with you and be sure to dip your tired feet in the lake afterwards.

A friend and I did a modified version of this trail and we found it to be great! Trails were marked well, everything was well maintained, and the campsites were clean and beautiful. I did get some bites from mosquitoes but a little 100% deet kept them at bay. Just don’t stay out past dark! Would definitely recommend!

Its not a difficult trail but it is a hard trail, that is VERY BUGGY, there is no relief from the mosquitos, the campsites for backpackers are a little tight but they are nice. Again they are not bug free, and it seems like bug spray is like ringing a dinner bell. The hand pump for water at the campsites is however a great bonus, its ice cold, and no it does not have a funky taste. It is definitely challenging, but a good beginner trail for the hobby if the biters slack off later in the season. The 3 stars are because of the bugs.

Good trail for beginners, started at silver lake (marker 1) headed to blind lake camp ground using the shortcut. Camp grounds were nice and clean, but the vault toilet needed a little attention. The addition of having a water pump at site is always great. Finished the loop the next day heading to markers 12, 4, 3, 2, 1. I think the total loop was around 11 miles. All in all great little weekend trip. Mosquitos were the worst I have ever experienced. All staff we ran into were friendly and welcoming.

Great beginner backpacking route. Our family (kids age 8, 7, 3) completed the short cut version of this trail over Memorial weekend, this was our kid's first time backpacking. We parked at the Silver Lake trailhead and hiked in to Crooked Lake campground for night 1. Used the shortcut to hike to Blind Lake for night 2. Hiked out past the stone fireplace since we were all ready to escape the still, humid air in the thick woods! We crossed paths with many bikers- most were very courteous. The campgrounds were ok- the pit toilets were in serious need of emptying and cleaning as the ammonia was throat burning (I've used pit toilets in many places-these were the worst I've seen). I had to clean up a handful of glass shards from our Blind Lake site before setting up camp. Also, be sure you have reservations for camping- the rangers were active in checking permits at Blind Lake. We watched some unfortunate soul be asked to leave after a long talk with the staff. The trail itself was great! Well maintained and mostly well marked- marker 10 made us stop and think for a minute though! The trail is challenging- but my 3 year old made it (he hiked most of it on his two feet, he freeloaded rides from mom and dad on occasion). I gave this four stars because, gross camp toilets.

Mountain Biking

Awesome trail. Low traffic.

Beautiful trail to hike .

Excellent running trail, I didn’t encounter any bikes but there was still a decent amount of snow on the ground. This is the only place to train for the Hell 50 mile ultra marathon because other trails in the area aren’t nearly as challenging.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Great running conditions, brought our dogs for the loop. There's a good amount of mountain biking, so keep an eye up ahead of you and your animals close on leashes. The hills are rolling, beautiful landscape, super pretty in the fall! Definitely need to get back and mountain bike there.

Oh, and there are spigots for water and bathrooms!! Well marked trails. A+

Monday, October 23, 2017

Beautiful trail I hiked their 3 times

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Beautiful trail that will kick your butt. Well worth the effort.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Difficult. Really.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

spent 4 days here this weekend. it is beautiful and nice trails. people need to learn what poison ivy looks like before they report it to be everywhere. poison ivy has 3 leaves and a hairy vine. i didn't see any poison ivy. definitely going back soon!!!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

I did the ~11 mile loop on a Saturday. The trail is well marked and easy to follow. It is a quite a bit hilly but the inclines were gradual. The bikers were all nice but there were many of them. As others have mentioned, be careful when stepping to the side as there is a lot of poison ivy.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Backpacked this trail over Memorial Day Weekend, Saturday into Sunday. This was my FIRST backpacking trip ever. Hiked the 7 miles into Blind Lake camp from HQ, using the shortcut. The DNR map is not very helpful, we were confused a couple of times so we ended up using GPS on our phone to double check where we where. The water source on the shortcut is a down the road a little bit by the Yurt camping. For Blind Lake being a hike in campground, it was busier than I expected. Then I realized with the road being nearby, many people just got dropped off close to the camp and "hiked" the 200 yards to their campsite. Kids, wagons, lacrosse sticks.. etc. The lake was also more active than I anticipated for a hike-in, jet skis and loud boats.. but it was Memorial Day Weekend. Everyone was very nice, including the bikers, trail runners and people with dogs. We opted to stand on side when they came by, lots of poison ivy.. just a warning. The next morning we hiked out using the shortcut by the stone fireplace. Our phone gave out so we didn't get a full map of the route, but another hiker mapped it at around 11.1 miles using both of these shortcuts. As a first time backpacker, this was a tough trail, lots of hills.. but my sister and I are VERY stubborn so we finished. I have a new love of hiking sticks, I learned they can be very helpful. We averaged just under 2 mph for the hike, and we definitely want to go back and hike more of the trails as day hikes.

Monday, May 29, 2017

We went Saturday morning thru Sunday early afternoon on Memorial Day Weekend. We hiked full 18 miles but ran out of battery on phone so could record whole trek. Lots of Mountain bikers.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Good place for trail running. Soft ground. Long trail. Moderate inclines and declines. There are also a lot of BBQ racks on the lake shore. So in warm weather, it would be nice to enjoy some BBQ after a hard run.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Great place to train if you're going on a hike somewhere west or up north!!

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Great trail - diverse landscape and challenging terrain. I hiked it all today and my distance tracker showed 20 miles, possibly due to taking other bits of connecting trails. I hiked this in mid February and it was quite icy and wet. I'm excited to see how the trail is late spring.

I found keeping on the Patoawatomi a bit confusing at times because while most intersections have signage, the distance you travel at some points between signs is miles and there are countless off-trails and shore trails. Nevertheless, if hiking, just look out for cyclists and step aside when they are coming through and it should be a great day hike.

Wednesday, December 07, 2016

Can you do an over night trip here? Pitch a tent for the night like now in December? Would like to do an over nighter.

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

Great trails! A lot of elevation changes, footing can be a little treacherous in a few places with rocks and roots. Only downside is not the trail itself, but bike riders coming in the opposite direction not always paying attention to trail traffic.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Amazing hiking trail would be 5 stars but the mountain bikes come out of nowhere at speed and have no regard for people on the trail.