Pontiac Lake Recreation Area Trail

Pontiac Lake Recreation Area Trail is a 8.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near White Lake, Michigan that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I can't believe this is in SE Mich. You show up to the park and suddenly there are steep hills everywhere. Love the constant elevation changes on the trails and the dense forest. Did the beach to campground hiking trail and then found the mountain biking trail and hiked that back to the beach (after checking out the scenic overlook on the bike path just past marker #4). This makes a great loop of 5 or 6 miles.

A little bit of everything for everyone. Always a fun time at Pontiac lake

This trail is awesome!! I did this trail three days after I did the Poto trail. It reminds me of the Poto with the roots and the loose uphills, and the downs are rewarding like DTE. This trail is only dangerous if you are not an experienced rider. If you get to mile 7 and see the easy/ hard sign, take the hard trail the drops are basically straight down and amazing but the uphills are just like the drops and it takes no time at all to complete that part of the trail and it meets back up with the original trail. If you haven't ridden this trail do it ASAP you will not regret it!!!

Very nice terrain ☺️

should be rated as difficult for mountain biking. Huge drops with rock beds, ruts and tree roots. Steep hills to climb and tight turns. My favourite trail in Metro area♡♡♡

gorgeous spring hike from campground to the beach. a real gem.

The best mountain bike trail in southeast Michigan.

hike counterclockwise and you can see the bikers coming.... keep dog on short leash so you can quickly jump to the side as bikers zoom by

nice trail and well signed, easy to hike but better wearing hiking shoes because can be muddy here and there. It starts near the parking lot but soon enters into the wood. Don't forget water!

Lots of good hills. Pretty scenic. Lots of bikers. Would do it again.

Loved the trail. Definitely a decen workout. We walked the bike trail. very scenic and lots of hills and rocks and roots. Would for sure do it again.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Nice trail with lots of good scenery and hilly terrain.

Friday, September 02, 2016

This is quite a nice park with a variety of recreational options. We went for a 4.3 mile hike on a Friday afternoon with our dogs. The bike trail is pretty busy, so you want to stay away from it. The hiking and in many areas hiking/equestrian trail. It's partly hilly and mostly wooded and wasn't too busy. There is an $11 charge for the recreational passport.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

Today (8-27-16) was my second time riding this trail. It's about 9.7 miles. It's located in a very nice state park. The trail goes through woods and some open areas. I have been mountain biking for a couple of years. I am not an expert but can handle advanced trails like the Holdridge Lake of Mt. Holly Recreation area. I am not exactly young at 65 but quite athletic. I am not crazy about this trail that's why I gave it a 2. The primary reason is that the trail has lots of sandy areas with gravel and locks in the middle of the trail. This causes the bike to slide and rather hard to control. On the positive side the park is very nice with a beach.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Good for a short but moderate hike. Some points of rooted terrain and 30+ degree incline.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

I used the staff's directions on finding the trail but I couldn't.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Lots of great climbs. Also lots of loose rocks and exposed roots so be careful!

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Rocky and fast. Love the first Hill.

Sunday, May 22, 2016

We hiked the mountain bike trail. 11 mile hike with lots of hills. the whole thing took about 5.5 hours. Bring your swim suits, taking a swim in the lake at the end was icing in the cake.

Saturday, April 23, 2016

We love hiking the horse and bike trails. Many sections to do to change things up. We go hiking here often.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

I use to race expert on this trail back in the 90's. Now I have a t.b.i. and look forward to riding it again!

Monday, November 09, 2015

first-time on this trail. Intermediate rider

Great trail. Some nice, challenging climbs with big and fast downhills.
The best way that I can think of to describe this trail, is it felt like the Poto's little brother, because of the challenge / reward ratio.
there's two "easy / hard" forks in the trail. The first one is a little tricky, particularly, the climb back up on the other side. The second is no big deal at all.
Like the Poto, you can get some good speed on the downhills here, and the climbs will leave you winded.
Very good trail, I will be back!

Sunday, September 21, 2014

What an awesome challenging ride !! Tough climbs but well rewarding downhills . Intermediate not for beginners but a great wilderness ride. Give it a try its a wonderful way to spend the day

Friday, May 23, 2014

Great trail, I would also recommend not coming here if you're out of shape from the winter or you haven't gone mountain biking before. I wish there was some more technical features, but the occasional rock garden and steep drop keep me satisfied. The climbs are tough, but all of them are rewarding because of a nice downhill at the end. Definitely adding to my riding rotation.

Friday, May 23, 2014

Do not come here for your first trail ride ever and are mildly out of shape from the winter!!!!! I was out matched from the get go. 5 out of 5

Monday, November 04, 2013

Great trail with some tech stuff! Awesome!

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Fun and challenging. I went on a very hot day and was wiped out after but totally worth it. Tough climbs and fun drops also with some very fun turns.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Great Trail! Pretty washed out, but I loved the whole flow of the trail. Challenging climbs, but not too difficult to complete. Very rocky, lots of roots, but not too many crazy switchbacks. Great Ride!

Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Extremely fun and challenging. Has all aspects, great up hills, fast downhills, drop offs, rock beds etc. couldn't ask for more from a trail.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

So awesome! Can't wait to get out there again! Couldn't finish the whole thing but what we did get done was so rewarding! The downhills more than made up for those uphills!