Learn more

Lakeshore Trail is a 40.5 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Grand Marais, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

Length 40.5 mi Elevation gain 2,267 ft Route type Point to Point
Backpacking Camping Hiking Nature trips Walking Bird watching Beach Forest Lake River Views Waterfall Wild flowers Wildlife Bugs Over grown Rocky No dogs
Description
Waypoints (0)

Sand dunes, cliffs, wooded areas, rivers, mud, uphill, and downhill. This area is good anytime from early spring to late fall. It is recommended to not go in early June, as that is when the flies are in the area and they are bad, almost intolerable at times. Go early May or wait until July when the flies have moved further south.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (216)
Photos (277)
Recordings (149)
Completed (462)
Ricky Hyatt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2020
View Ricky's Recording
Chris Patterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 17, 2020
Hiking

Awesomeness! Truly amazing views around every corner. The only times that the views were not amazing were East of Log Slide and West of Miners. Campsites were very nice. They were all booked out last time I looked...but were not full when we were there. We stayed at Benchmark, Coves and Mosquito. It was cold enough that the bugs were inexistent but not cold enough to affect our hike. There were some day hikers around Chapel and Miners but not too bad. Not a lot of ups and downs but there were some. Pretty moderate hike. I think next time I would make it a 5 day hike so that I could enjoy the views and the beach some more. There are streams throughout to filter but at a majority of the campsites you are filtering out of Lake Superior. Lake Superior is cold and at times has large waves which make filtering a little difficult but not impossible. Took Altran Shuttle.. it was on time. But be aware.. .if you are getting picked up at one end and dropped off at the other... it could be a 2 hour shuttle ride and when you have ants in your pants to hit the trail this is a bit punishing. Overall.. this trail is amazing and I would highly recommend to the novice or the experienced hikers.

Paul Corey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 16, 2020
View Paul's Recording
Tim Hill
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2020
CampingGreat!

Great trail! second time doing it, highly recommend. Not many people out, but there were backpackers at each camp sight I stayed at. plenty of day hikers arround Minors castle and chaplet beach. temp was great, little cold first nights. pretty easy hike, especially if you split it up into 4 days. You do have to reserve camp sights and they fill up fast so plan early! (:

Meg Pope
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 11, 2020
Hiking

Overall pretty good! It did rain for almost 24 hrs straight so I expected the trails to be a little muddy but they weren’t terrible!

View Meg's Recording
Rich Van Til
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 27, 2020
View Rich's Recording
Rich Van Til
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 26, 2020
View Rich's Recording
Steven Chorma
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2020
View Steven's Recording
Robert Larsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 20, 2020
Backpacking

Traveled East to West, the western half was by far my favorite. Stunning scenery. Camped at Au Sable East, Sevenmile, Coves and Potato Patch. Best campsite was site 5 at Sevenmile up along the creek a short walk to the beach. My first backpacking trip and it was everything I had hoped. First two days were in the 80’s, some bugs but bug spray certainly kept them away, after that rarely a bug to be seen with winds off the lake. Bugs were not an issue at all.

Chelsea Boyd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
View Chelsea's Recording
Chelsea Boyd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
View Chelsea's Recording
Angie Brinkman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020
BackpackingBugsGreat!Muddy

Epic first backpacking trip! Trail well marked. I only needed AllTrails x2. We did this trail in 4 days. Our campsites were 12 mile, Coves, and Potato Patch. It was nice to end the trip on a shorter hike. By day 4 we were done. After Miners Castle and to Munising it was very muddy. So wear hiking boots. However, us ladies in our 40’s and 50’s did it!! Did it hurt?...Yes! Was it easy?....No! We had perfect temps of mid 60’s the entire time with no rain. 85% of this trail is in the shade. I never used sunscreen. However, I did use a lot of bug spray and at times my mosquito head net. Some toilets have no walls and sit out in the wilderness at the Coves and Potato Patch. We never got use to that! Lake Superior was high 60’s for water temp. There are water faucets you can get water at Au Sable light house, 12 mile beach campground, and Miners Castle. This was nice because some days Lake Superior was for sure a red flag. I would totally do this again. Depending who I was with, it may need to be extended to a 5 day trip. If I wanted to shorten this trip, I would stop at Miners Castle. Miners Castle to Munising is just a muddy, buggy, forest walk and pales to the previous 30 miles. Shuttle service was super easy to use. The views were amazing and can be seen no other way except to backpack in many areas.

Elizabeth Hubbard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

Started at the group campsite heading East, trail was nice and smooth, falls weren’t spectacular, looped onto the northern return trail heading west, had to pick your spots through the mud.

View Elizabeth's Recording
nathan melby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingMuddy

This trail was amazing. Completed the whole 42 miles in 2 nights starting in Grand Marais and finishing in Munising. Past Mosquito River the trail gets pretty muddy but as long as you’re prepared for it it’s not all that bad. Beautiful views, great signage, highly recommend this trail.

Krissa Boman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 23, 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

I really enjoyed myself on this trail. I backpacked with a friend of mine, starting in Au Sable and ending early by Mosquito Falls. Were I to do this again, I’d start at Logslide. We had every intention of hiking it till the end, but on our second to last day it ended up raining very heavily, we lost the trail by Chapel Beach, and I slipped in mud and hurt myself. Overall- amazing trail for scenic views and swimming. The trail is not clearly marked in many sections, but it’s doable with All Trails handy.

Christopher Mayer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2020
HikingGreat!
View Christopher's Recording
Anonymous Hiker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
Hiking

Great way to view the entire pictured rocks shore. Make sure to get a permit ahead of time!

Brian Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 15, 2020
HikingMuddy

Very nice trail. Went east to west, staying at 7 Mile Creek and Mosquito River. Bugs were less of an issue as anticipated due to cooler weather. Beautiful views on day 2. Poor/confusing signage at Mosquito River, so wandered on side trail for a while (following sign and not map!). Signage was good the rest of the trail. Overall a great trail.

Joey Crookshanks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail. Lake Superior is amazing. One downside in my opinion is that the park is super busy with day hikers and car campers. It leaves backpackers with less options for camp sites so get reservations as far advance as you can to secure a nice spot that spreads your days out as evenly as possible. Also the campsites seem to have more trash than I'm used to seeing in National Forests backcountry sites. Toilet paper everywhere in the woods behind the sites was a real turn off ( definitely people staying there who don't follow leave no trace ). The campsites were also too close together for my liking, full of loud groups of people. Bring lots of bug spray!!!!

View Joey's Recording
Ursula Berry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020

Parts of the trail from Miners Castle to Munising Falls and Mosquito River to Potato Patch you'll encounter lots of mud. Very challenging trail at times with epic views!

Scott Russell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2020
HikingBugs
View Scott's Recording
Joyce Zhang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
BackpackingBugsGreat!

This was my first backpacking trip and we did 37+ miles over 3 days and 2 nights from Miner’s Castle to the Grand Sable Visitor Center. We booked the campsites online and stayed at Beaver Creek and Benchmark, both of which were great. We hiked ~15 miles the first day, ~9 miles the second day, and ~12 miles the third day. 15 miles on the first day was a bit much for us as novice backpackers. If you are a beginner, I would not recommend doing more than 12 miles a day and would complete the hike over 4 days and 3 nights or end the hike at Log Slide (except then you’d miss Grand Sable Lake). The views were amazing, especially on the west side between Miner’s Castle and Beaver Creek. It was hot (~80-85 degrees during the day) when we did the hike from July 2-4, but a local said that a few years ago on July 4 it was ~45 degrees, so be sure to check the weather. Also make sure you bring tons of bugspray during the summer months, as the mosquitoes were pretty bad, especially between Benchmark and Grand Sable Visitor Center. Altran Shuttle recommends leaving your car at your endpoint, taking the shuttle to your starting point, and hiking back to your car.

Joseph Hauglie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2020
BackpackingMuddyWashed out

Finished the entire trail in 3 days with my brother and nephew. Excellent weather and bug issues decreased as we headed west. However, west of Miners Castle the trail is an absolute mess. At least 1/3 of it is mucky goo, slowing your pace and making for frustrating hiking. Beaver Creek campground is outstanding as well as the Chapel Beach area. We had reservations at Cliffs but couldn’t find the campground. The last 7-10 miles are very poorly marked. Otherwise we had a great trip!

Krystin Zblewski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2020
Hiking

My husband and I have hiked this section of the Pictured Rocks a few times. We enjoy hiking as a family and have visited many trails throughout Michigan. The Lake Shore trail through Pictured Rocks and the Chapel Falls loop trail are our favorites. The most unique and beautiful views that cannot be seen by taking a boat tour.

Nicholas Ghiglia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 30, 2020
HikingBugs

While this journey is scenic and fairly easy because it’s flat, the insects can create their own challenges please take this into consideration when planning your dates for adventure. The campgrounds are only used by hikers and kayakers, and are well spaced apart. The water from Lake superior is cold and refreshing! I did 75% of this trail in my sandals