Pickerel Lake Trail

Pickerel Lake Trail is a 1.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cannon Twp, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November.

Briefly: I thought this trail was amazing. The gorgeous weather may have helped. This trail can be as long and as hard as you want. It stays pretty easy until you go away from the lake. It gets moderate. The easy trail is GREAT for kids. Educational platforms about habitats, animals, and invasive species.

Trails are well maintained. Benches and views throughout the east trail. I took one of the longest routes away from the lake and it took about an hour/hour-fifteen to get back to my car. Definitely recommended. Away from the city. LOTS of nature.

Downfall: no dogs allowed. :(

An absolutely beautiful day hike.

Gorgeous, tons of birds to see, as well as beavers and muskrats.

Trails are well-marked with lots of little paths down to the water's edge. Short and easy, but there's lots to see.

Beautiful trail. Easy.

Friday, July 28, 2017

Nice hike especially in late June when the lotus flowers bloom...

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Nice easy trail. Mostly shaded, love the boardwalk. Less than 2 miles. I am 55 and go on a hike 1-2 times a month. Did this trail in 45 minutes and that was stopping for 2 geocaches.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Great walk through wooded land around a nice lake. Easy and well maintained.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

One of my favorite places in Kent County. There are several spur trails to get extra miles in.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

I thought this was a really nice easy trail and if you go around sunset you'll be happy

Monday, September 19, 2016

Really great walk around the lake, with optional offshoot trails.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Very nice trail! Can be a little buggy depending on when you go so make sure to wear bug spray. The red trail is nice but not too hard and everything is well maintained.

Monday, September 12, 2016

Trail was relatively easy except for one steep part on the "hard" trail (red) and it was also very muggy and hot. Trail is gorgeous and the normal lake trail is relatively flat. We hiked the red trail with the blue trail which was about 4.1 miles. Tons of colorful mushrooms!

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Great trail for a family hike. Our 5 year old handled it just fine and had a blast along the way. Took us about an hour and a half.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

This is a nice set of trails that allow a variety of difficulties. Those looking for a more physical harm me can take the woodland trail path instead of staying on the fairly flat lakeside path.

Note: Dogs are not allowed on this trail as it's a nature preserve, and you could be subject to fines if caught with your dog on the trails.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Nice trail running location or going fro a scenic walk. Given MI has not true hiking areas this is a nice opportunity to spend an hour or two. Not crowded

Thursday, April 14, 2016

beautiful

Saturday, December 05, 2015

Perfect.

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Best hike in the area by far! Can get a little crowded on a nice weekend, but there is enough trail to separate your self from the crowd.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Awesome place to hike. We went on a Friday and only saw one other couple the entire time. A lot of rules, like no dogs or canoeing, but that's probably why it's still pristine. My favorite hike this year. It's clockwise only with a turnstile so you can't go the wrong way. Also, no bikes allowed.

Monday, April 27, 2015

I grew up in the mountains down south and Pickerel Lake (Fred Meijer Nature Preserve) reminded me of home. The hills were refreshingly beautiful but easy to hike. We visited Pickerel Lake on a sunny, Sunday in late April. There were quite a few people there but we never felt crowded on the trail. We did the Lake Trail (blue) that was 1.9 miles. We also did the white trail (.77 miles), so we probably hiked a total of about 2.8 miles. This ended up being too long for our 3 and 6 year old. I think from now on we need to try for 1 or 1.5 mile hikes with them. Our 11 year old daughter thought it was great though. Next time I’d like to go with just my husband and do the Woodland Trail (red) which is supposed to be more challenging than the others. This is a very peaceful (no boat) lake with several people fishing there. You’ll see many trees downed by beavers and possibly a couple beaver houses which we found fascinating. There seemed to be parts of the white trail that weren’t on the map, but still had signposts. I think they just looped around though so you probably wouldn’t get lost on them.

recorded hilly