Learn more

Pere Marquette River is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Custer, Michigan that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 4.9 mi Elevation gain 26 ft Route type Point to Point

Stick shaped like a 7

43.94165, -86.24481

• 3

Half Way

Tight funnel through downed trees, brown cabin on top of hill

43.93944, -86.25087

• 4

Brown Cabin

With nice grassy river yard

43.94185, -86.25927

• 5

The Sand Bar

White House

43.94190, -86.26100

• 6

3/4 of the way

Just past trail leading to green roof

43.94402, -86.26514

Photos (2)
Recordings (4)
Completed (25)
Rose Uerling
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020

this is a river. there is no hiking trail.

Christine Glass
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2019
Paddle sports

My favorite river. Beautiful scenery. This river is a little faster than most of the other rivers in the area but still a relaxing paddle. I take my SUP on it and there are only a few spots that I have to be careful with my fin.

Eli Hall
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 8, 2019
HikingBugsMuddyOff trailOver grown

No trail to hike along the river. Maybe the water level is too high so we had to turn around and go home since there was not much access. We tried taking a dirt road to see how far that would take us but ran into lots of poison ivy. Beautiful river with a great spot for parking with a bathroom. Would recommend coming down with a kayak or canoe to take up the river instead.

Marissa Lopez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 8, 2018

Fun for the whole family.

Ashley Hageman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2017

This is not a walking trail even though it says so in the description. And there are no hiking trails in Scottville per the locals. It looks like a gorgeous river for fishing and canoeing/kayaking though.

Adam Stielstra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 8, 2011

My home river. My family river. Being born in Scottville and having a family cabin on the upper river in Baldwin, MI, I have fished this river top to bottom Baldwin to Scottville and every single spot in-between since I was a very young man. I have worked for the original owners of the Pere Marquette Lodge (Johnson's) as well as directing fishing shows for them. I have helped guide fishing trips and fished this gem of a stream with dedication year 'round for decades. I have waled its banks and floated every portion. I can honestly wade the Flies Only stretch from M37 to Gleason's Landing with my eyes closed. I have caught trope trout, steelhead, and salmon repeatedly and shoulder to shoulder with some of its legendary guides. I love this river more than most things on Earth. It is my home. My ashes will one day be a part of your Hex silt. Be kind to this river. She's delicate.

Paul Worona
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 11, 2011
Paddle sports

Just got back from Baldwin, MI, and a great canoe/camping trip on the Pere Marquette river. I have been on many canoe and kayak trips around Michigan, and all have been great experiences. This time, though, was the first time I have done a multi-day canoe/camping trip! We had a blast! This river is cold and clear, and moves relatively slowly, but at times is a bit quicker. The river runs mostly throught the Maistee national forest, so there are very few houses and cabins. If you have done any canoeing or kayaking at all, then this river should be no problem. Alot of fishermen to share the river with, but overall the all are nice enough, and stay out of your way if you work with them. We put in at Bowman's Bridge, and paddled about 4 hours down stream to the USFS campground at Elk. Very rustic campground, accessible by river only, (though one group there parked out by the road and walked in to camp) No water, and just a small wooden vault toilet. (BRING SUPPLIES) There is only 4 sites, and it's first come, first served. Then this morning it was about a 3 hour paddle to Walhalla Bridge, where the great folks at Baldwin Canoe Rental had spotted our car. If you fish and go this time of year, make sure you bring your gear, we had two giant salmon almost jump in the boat with us! A great river, a great trip, this is a highly recommended river. I can't say enough about the service at Baldwin Canoe Rental.

Marc Steensma
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 27, 2011
First to Review

Very rough riding in some spots, but overall, quite a thrill. Highly recommend for beginners and veterans alike, the river is long enough to support both, just make sure you have your entrance and exit spots selected beforehand. Awesome river! A+

Scott Thede
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 17, 2020
View Scott's Recording
Emily Burleson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2019
Don Orsund
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 15, 2018
View Don's Recording
liana g
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 22, 2017
Rod Gombar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 10, 2017
View Rod's Recording