Learn more

Ortonville State Recreation Area Bloomer Trails Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(56)
Ortonville State Recreation Area

Ortonville State Recreation Area Bloomer Trails Loop is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ortonville, Michigan that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 2.6 mi Elevation gain 206 ft Route type Loop

Photos (61)
Recordings (44)
Completed (71)
Michelle Desai
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
HikingBugs

Beautiful trail! A bit buggy, so don’t forget bug spray. Hilly throughout the 2.6 miles, but not a hard hike. Trail was well marked.

Troy Sipple
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 28, 2020

Very woodsy and buggy.

View Troy's Recording
Liz Cosby
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 20, 2020
HikingBugsMuddy

Great trail. Lots of elevation changes (for southeast Michigan.) I’m marking as muddy because it was, but must caveat by saying this is following 5 days of heavy rain. This trail was the only one (I saw) in the area that didn’t have sections washed out enough to turn back. Nice changes from deciduous hard wood forest and pine. No mountain bikes when I was on it, but they are allowed. Great hike for post rainy days, will be back.

sarah ziebarth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 2, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike that the whole family enjoyed. The hills gave it a nice challenge.

Mark Cebelak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 27, 2020
Hiking

No complaints at all... I hiked and it was a good challenge on the hills... sure seems like it would be rough on a bike

Brianna Satterlund
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 5, 2020
Hiking

Really beautiful easy to get to trail. We had an eight-year-old and an 11-year-old and we carried a couple of two-year-olds on our backs. It had quite a few hills up and down that made it somewhat challenging but easy enough for everyone to get through in just over an hour. We loved it!

View Brianna's Recording
Jeff Bauermeister
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 6, 2020
Hiking

I hiked this in January so nothing but brown leaves, branches and white patches of snow. Typical Michigan forest in winter; quiet and brown. Elevation may be listed at just over 200 feet but you’ll rarely find yourself on level ground.

Deborah Hanneman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 20, 2019
Hiking

beautiful trail! amazing fall colors, so peaceful...not many people out on a Saturday 4pm first thing my hubby and I noticed when we stepped out of our car is the fragrance of apples in the air

Matt & Sue Marinco
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 13, 2019
Hiking

Nice wooded trail. Well marked. No bugs. Pretty easy hike but several steep hills.

View Matt & Sue's Recording
Rachelle Harris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 15, 2019
Hiking

beautiful ❤️ trail and we'll maintained. it rained all morning, and I was still able to do this trail at 12 noon.

Cassie Shorkey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 4, 2019
Mountain biking

This trail had a lot of hills. It was a workout but going down the hills made it worth the work!

Blake Pagnier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2019
Hiking

It was alright, Like another person said its kinda just typical woods and nothing really stood out. there wasn't even any water like a creek or pond, and no grassland sections. Also was a bit short, so I would probably just hike the equestrian section of the area if I do come back. Almost forgot, the constant gunshots from the shooting range kinda made the entire thing less pleasant.

View Blake's Recording
Neil Miller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 7, 2019
Mountain biking

Lots of hills! We ended up walking our bikes up several hills. Dont forget bug spray like we did, youll want it. nice trail overall.

Jeff Chamberlain
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 8, 2019

Nice trail. Some decent hills and very well marked.

Ella Bonhomme
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 26, 2018
Hiking

The Trail is well marked and mapped. For me, it was ok. The scenery is typical woods that you’ll see just about everywhere here in Michigan. I enjoy being in the woods so it was nice, but it just didn’t have that special spot or anywhere super unique. Unfortunately I only did the west side of the trail. I ran into hunters at two different spots, and then at marker 6 (I believe) I heard a bunch of gunfire coming from my right and decided to not to go out into the larger loop, because I didn’t want to take any chances. It turns out there’s a gun range just past the northern road, which is likely what I was hearing. If I get back out and take that trail, I may re-rate. But yeah I was a bit underwhelmed. The hill that all the maps show was wasn’t remarkable from the others you’ll climb over (and there are quite a few) When I got to the marker just beyond it I even said out-loud “No way that was the hill.” I think it’s a great trail for trail running and even mountain biking. The trail is well marked and groomed and the climbs will get your heart rate climbing a bit, but they are easy enough not to give anyone too much trouble. Doggos shouldn’t be an issue here. It’s pretty far out, on a dirt road...it states the park pass is required but I didn’t even see any spot where they’d check. You travel down a gravel road to a small gravel/dirt parking lot. So I can’t see how dogs would be an issue. So I wouldn’t avoid if you need a trail for your doggo. As I said, it’s nice for a workout and it’d be nice terrain for him/her to get energy out and explore.

Valerie Clayton
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 22, 2018

NO PETS. waste of a drive.

Jamie Schmidt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2018

Awesome hiking!

Travis Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 16, 2018
Hiking

The Bloomer Unit is probably the best hike in Ortonville Rec Area. No hunting allowed and the deep woods trails are quiet and peaceful. Unbeatable in the fall!

Chia-Ling Cheng
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 30, 2017
Leah Pace
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 31, 2020
View Leah's Recording
Sean Heise
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
View Sean's Recording
Jennifer McNab
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2020
View Jennifer's Recording
Chuck Hart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 16, 2020
View Chuck's Recording
Mandi Sams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 4, 2020
View Mandi's Recording
William Takle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 31, 2020
View William's Recording
John Takle
View John's Recording
Lauren DeMers
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 31, 2020
View Lauren's Recording
Katie Rygwelski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 29, 2020
View Katie's Recording
Jennifer McNab
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 21, 2020
View Jennifer's Recording