North Country Trail - M20 to Echo Dr

North Country Trail - M20 to Echo Dr is a 7.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Hesperia, Michigan that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lots of bugs was being swarmed by at least 10 flys the entire walk was annoying so tired around and went home

I've been hiking this trail for almost twenty years and still love it

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Not too difficult, and a pleasure.

Monday, April 10, 2017

The trail was really beautiful. It was maintained very well and clearly marked. However, not near as peaceful as we were hoping. Firstly, there were quite a few people out there driving four wheelers on the two tracks that weave around near the southern side of the trail. Second, there were literally hundreds of gun shots. Thirdly, there was incessant dog barking coming from the same direction where the gun shots were going off. We were there on April 9th seeing if any early mushroom activity could be found. We were there over 4 hours. Unfortunately as we went on the trail we got closer to the gun shooting. Eventually we could hear men yelling and laughing in the woods while firing their guns. Honestly we got scared that there was possibly some intoxicated people with unleashed dogs out there playing with guns. So my wife and I decided to leave. It was the first 70 degree day of the year. We will probably go back but not to the southern section of the trail. Many trees were riddled with splintered bullet holes off the trail, definitely not woodpeckers. We just wish there was more respect for nature and for the people enjoying it.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

lovely walk with my children.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Well maintained and marked trail.

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Very beautiful pines trail was cleared all but

Tuesday, August 05, 2014

Just did what I think was this out and back section of the North Country Trail on Sunday. Not sure what direction this particular track wants you to go, but I ended up with an 11 mile total out and back by heading past the Newaygo Visitor Center spur toward Twinwood Lake, then 2 miles south on the sandy trail joiner road (Basswood Drive), crossing the railroad tracks, and veering north onto the well marked North Country Trail again to get to Coolbough. Some nice vignettes along the way, Bigelow Creek and what I think was the Cathedral Pines area at Coolbough with varied terrain and little in the way of hard elevation changes it was not too far from Chicago. However, on this section the interesting parts were few and far between, so it ended up a bit of a slog in 85 degree heat. I might recommend it later in the year though due to the prevalence of mosquitoes, gnats, and horseflies. Will try it again though, time permitting, in the Fall and maybe head north this time.

Thursday, April 21, 2016