Nordhouse Dunes Trail

Nordhouse Dunes Trail is a 3.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Free Soil, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This website has more details about this trail: http://www.getoffthecouch.info/mason/nordunes.htm

One of my favorites!

So gorgeous. The beach right off the trail was busy, but by walking just a tiny bit into the woods and camping there we had our own little patch of beach! It was Memorial Day weekend, so there were a lot of campers, but we still had our privacy.

So pretty. We were the only ones on the beach.

Very nice trail, been there a few times. Parking could be better.

My husband and I hiked this trail a few summers back. We drove from Iowa and got there around 1AM to hike in and set up camp. It was quite an adventure. The best part was hearing the lake as we got close. It was a beautiful sight to wake up to the next morning!

I have done this trail twice solo. This was the first trail I had ever hiked. It is awesome, rugged enough to get a great workout and scenery was beautiful.

A nice remote spot to check out. There can be lots of people on a nice weekend day, but if you leave the main trail or head down the beach, you can get away from it all.

Great short hike to go swimming! Although a bit strenuous for small children. Lake Michigan in its best natural setting.

This trail is pretty easy to get to the beach, which should be the main goal. It is about 2 miles from the lot to the dunes through maintained dirt trail. Here you can backpack in and set up camp on the dunes, which stay relatively private even if it is crowded. Incredible to camp at the fringe of the forest for shade, but to be able to stargaze at night and swim during the day. Perfect mix of camping and beach relaxing. Parking at the lot is a few bucks per night and fills up fast so people park on the access road. Bathrooms at the parking lot.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Great backpacking destination for dispersed camping. Don't be discouraged the posted route for this trail is only 3.5 miles, we turned it into 21 miles by doing a figure 8 loop from Nordhouse, to Ludington, to Lake Mich Rec Area, and back. I highly recommend this route or one similar if you truly want to experience the many different areas here. Also, if you prefer to put in some actual hiking miles. The inland dune area between nordhouse and ludington was the most strenuous section but my favorite by far. Check out our video here: https://youtu.be/4oMpYsPm7OM

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Great trail to go out for a day hike on. highly recommend it

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

the money

Monday, August 01, 2016

one of the most beautiful places I've ever been

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Love it out there. Especially since it's dog friendly. Up the ante a bit and walk out from the state park along the beach. Spend the night and enjoy a nice fire on the beach. Can't beat it.

Saturday, September 12, 2015

Trail not marked well, did not find loop, only saw two trail post signs.

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

One of the most beautiful places in Michigan

Saturday, July 04, 2015

One of the best places for backcountry camping in lower Michigan.

Thursday, January 01, 2015

Great for first time backpackers. The trail wasn't long and was easy. It is not marked though.
Beautiful views- loved being able to camp right on the beach.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

I love this trail. Me and my friends did some overnight camping near the beach a few years in a row. So nice to sleep with the sound of wind and waves all around you. Lake Michigan is beautiful.

Sunday, April 27, 2014

One of the best places I know for easy/moderate hiking & backpacking. Great for scenery and solitude.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

d

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

k

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

No trail markers but still a great place to hike. Take the first trail in that cuts off to the west and hike out to the biggest dunes for a spectacular view. The main trail to the beach seems to be where everyone likes to be so take the time to explore some of the side trails that are less traveled.