Dune Ridge Trail

Dune Ridge Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Muskegon, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

This is our second time hiking this trail and we loved it. Being a Sunday, there was a few more hikers than on this past Wednesday but not overly crowded at all (more dogs this time but all behaved and most on leashes). We saw squirrels, chipmunks and a variety of birds. Ended up making the loop a little shorter by cutting across the dunes and the far tip. Saved a good 30 minutes hiking across soft sand and paved road.

We loved this trail due to the vantage points and diverse views.

My husband and I packed up our 7 month girl and set out for Michigan this week to do some Fall hiking (I have to admit the location was particularly due to the radio spots on "pure Michigan". I am a marketing major and a sucker for good advertising: hooked, lined, sinker). We picked Muskegon due to hotel location and found this trail from this app. The Muskegon National Park is beautiful, a forest situated on the bay and lake - what more could you ask for. We started off in the woods and had several ridges to climb in the forest before reaching the dunes. In the forest we saw deer, squirrels, chipmunks and wood peckers (so many chipmunks they were everywhere!). The dunes themselves were breathtaking. Breathtaking because of the views and because of the incline! We saw deer grazing under shaded trees and several types of birds. We had lunch and fed our girl at a picnic location right on the water (we could see both the lake and bay at the same time). We hiked thro the camping grounds (flushing toilets!) and then back around to the car. The total trip took longer than expected but we Ohioans are used to flat non sandy hikes, so we may have underestimated this "moderate level" adventure but the views were worthy every sandy step.

The dogs and I loved it! Lots of varying elevation. I didn't look at any trail maps beforehand, assuming there would be one big loop. However, one can choose a variety of paths. The trail markers are marked with labels A through G, as far as I can tell. Eventually we found the lake and had some play time. Then we walked alongside the road back to our car, because I was worried it would get dark if I spent much more time on the trails. I would totally go back! And I would study the map next time. ;)

Awesome variety of elevation and terrain.

Perfect

Fun!! Beautiful view, I would imagine the trees would be gorgeous in the fall.

Awesome hike!!! Amazing views!!!

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

This is an awesome trail system for getting lost (but in a comfortable way provided it's early enough in the day!!!) ...the sand padded trails are rich with moss and mushrooms. Fall is the best time to explore when there are no crowds and girl and dog can be free!!!

Saturday, September 03, 2016