Dune Ridge Trail

Dune Ridge Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Muskegon, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

I sneak out here every single chance I get. For me, snug harbor has the most inspiring trails. You can definitely get some good vertical and the views are breathtaking! My favorite part is getting to the tippy tops of the dunes and watching the eagles fly around, so close. If you’re lucky you might even spot their gigantic nest!

This trail kicked our butts. Others have mentioned it wasn't too sandy, but that was not our experience. My fitness tracker counted 50% more distance based on steps, because we we sliding backwards in the sand the whole hike. We still enjoyed ourselves, but man it was deep sand (at least along the top of the ridge) and it was a hard hike. Also, we had issues with some of the markers and keeping track of the trail so we did an annoying amount of backtracking. That said, the views were amazing and made it (nearly) worth it!

This is our second time hiking this trail and we loved it. Being a Sunday, there was a few more hikers than on this past Wednesday but not overly crowded at all (more dogs this time but all behaved and most on leashes). We saw squirrels, chipmunks and a variety of birds. Ended up making the loop a little shorter by cutting across the dunes and the far tip. Saved a good 30 minutes hiking across soft sand and paved road.

We loved this trail due to the vantage points and diverse views.

My husband and I packed up our 7 month girl and set out for Michigan this week to do some Fall hiking (I have to admit the location was particularly due to the radio spots on "pure Michigan". I am a marketing major and a sucker for good advertising: hooked, lined, sinker). We picked Muskegon due to hotel location and found this trail from this app. The Muskegon National Park is beautiful, a forest situated on the bay and lake - what more could you ask for. We started off in the woods and had several ridges to climb in the forest before reaching the dunes. In the forest we saw deer, squirrels, chipmunks and wood peckers (so many chipmunks they were everywhere!). The dunes themselves were breathtaking. Breathtaking because of the views and because of the incline! We saw deer grazing under shaded trees and several types of birds. We had lunch and fed our girl at a picnic location right on the water (we could see both the lake and bay at the same time). We hiked thro the camping grounds (flushing toilets!) and then back around to the car. The total trip took longer than expected but we Ohioans are used to flat non sandy hikes, so we may have underestimated this "moderate level" adventure but the views were worthy every sandy step.

The dogs and I loved it! Lots of varying elevation. I didn't look at any trail maps beforehand, assuming there would be one big loop. However, one can choose a variety of paths. The trail markers are marked with labels A through G, as far as I can tell. Eventually we found the lake and had some play time. Then we walked alongside the road back to our car, because I was worried it would get dark if I spent much more time on the trails. I would totally go back! And I would study the map next time. ;)

Awesome variety of elevation and terrain.

Perfect

Fun!! Beautiful view, I would imagine the trees would be gorgeous in the fall.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Awesome hike!!! Amazing views!!!

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

This is an awesome trail system for getting lost (but in a comfortable way provided it's early enough in the day!!!) ...the sand padded trails are rich with moss and mushrooms. Fall is the best time to explore when there are no crowds and girl and dog can be free!!!

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Second trip- we took the ranger recommended "easy" loop to Lost Lake, then ended up on the "Hearty Hiker" trail back. Knowing the map wasn't accurate helped make this loop go smoothly. Beautiful views atop the ridges.

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Trip one netted a view of nesting eagles, and we took the fairly difficult dune trail back from the rv lots. Harder than the "difficult" rated forest hike, IMHO.

Then we got lost because the map we had doesn't show the trails the way they actually are. My tip would be to snap a pic of the state park map at the rangers station- much more accurate than the paper hiking map they hand out.

Obviously we ended up getting "unlost" eventually- we had a lake on one side & a road on the other so we knew roughly where we were.

Tree lines are beautiful. Ask the rangers about the eagles' nest location. Definitely one of the more challenging hikes we've done in 2015!

One star off for inaccurate maps.

Friday, July 19, 2013

We stayed at the Lake Michigan campsite for two nights (Sunday and Monday). The grounds were clean and well maintained. We were in lot 37, mid way between Ruth Ann's Ice Cream (a MUST) and the walkway to the beach. The beach access for the campground was nice, a long set of stairs leading straight to the soft, sandy beach. The beach was VERY clean and quiet, only being used by campers. Spent the first day hiking to hidden lake. There are many trails and off shoots of trails. Be sure to take a trail map (available at the ranger station) as it is very easy to get turned around. The trip to hidden lake was worth it. Thousands of water lillies in bloom at one time was amazing.
This state park works with Duck Lake State Park and rents kayaks for CHEAP! If you are a camper at Muskegon, the rangers can radio to the ranger at Duck Lake. This allow you to rent kayaks for $10 for 1, $15 for 2, $20 for 3, and $25 for 4 kayaks for 4 hours! Kayaking on Duck Lake was the perfect way to spend the evening. Best $15 we spent.
The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is it was VERY crowded. MANY small children and many of them allowed to play in the road unobserved. They could maybe eliminate a few of the camp sites and spread people out a little. AND perhaps, an adult area and a family area.

Friday, July 01, 2011

Beautiful woods, not too sandy so it's not annoyingly hard to hike.