Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Leonard Preserve is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Manchester, Michigan that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is good for all skill levels and is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 177 feet Route Type: Loop

Went hoping to collect fall leaves and see the colors but surprisingly there wasn’t much to offer ... but to be fair we made it a mile before the little kids just gave up. Well maintained trail and a nice simply hike!

This is a good easy trail dont even need map look at map before pick ur path the arrows on trail markers are color coordinated

I walk here at least 2 times per week and see something new almost every time! It is a great spot for native prairie grasses, wildflowers & I have spotted & hear several owls (GH & barred) here on many occasions. If during the right time of year, you hear them every evening or early morning! This is my go-to for wildflower changes marking the passing of the spring, summer and fall and then we ski/hike here all winter. People have said it is flat but I disagree. It can make for some challenging ski climbs and some pretty fast, curvy downhills! The trail is generally well mowed but is always swampy in the spring from the main lot- a new work around has been mowed & is still swampy but less so... I love the St. John's wort grove, willows, turkeys, bridges, walk along the river, woods, and native prairie grasses. There is really a lot to explore here and I am so thankful of it's proximity to downtown!

Leonard Preserve is mostly fields and meadows. There isn't much walking in woods. That said, I saw a couple of Sandhill Cranes, some bluebirds, and a Baltimore Oriole here. The first hundred yards from the trailhead into the preserve was very muddy/puddled, with some puddles hosting tadpoles. There is an out-and-back side trail early on that leads to the River Raisin; thereafter there are glimpses of the Raisin along the NE part of the route, but not much more. Mostly flat, just not real interesting. It is quiet. My photos are geo-tagged to my 20190515 recording. Higher resolution versions of the photos on here, and additional photos, are in https://johnmetzler.smugmug.com/Parks.

Thu Jan 03 2019

Great easy trail well groomed

Sun May 21 2017

This is a nice spot to wander around. It's relatively flat most of the way (a few minor hills) and the trail is wide and simple to follow. The wildlife is typical of the area with lots of birds, deer, and rabbits, plus squirrels and chipmunks of course. Shortly after departing the parking lot there is a brief trail to the right that leads to the river and stops. That's as close to the river as you'll get (as long as you don't trespass on private property) since the trail is inland a bit most of the way. At the river I saw a blue heron but not much else; though the day I went was overcast and rather cool (upper 40s/low 50s). There are a few ponds in the preserve where I heard frogs and off beyond a private property sign I could hear turkeys. My visit lasted 3.5 hours because I stop often to take photos and just enjoy the surroundings, though to walk the complete area shouldn't take more than two hours. As I mentioned above, there are some private property signs as a few houses do border the preserve as does a cemetery. You'll likely hear distant traffic while there as well which is common for every location I've been to in Southeast Michigan. Also, the sign at the entrance states that no dogs are allowed in the preserve.

Mon Nov 05 2018