Holiday Nature Preserve (Newburgh-Wayne East Half)

Holiday Nature Preserve (Newburgh-Wayne East Half) is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Westland, Michigan that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Good:
- Wide main trail (stay to the right when it splits)
- Wildlife: Saw 7 deer as I ran the trail at 8am

The Bad:
- Trails are not marked at all
- All of the single track small trails are not maintained
- There are a few bridges that are no longer functional and from what I could tell, lead to nowhere
- You’ll see graffiti, especially as you get closer to Wayne Rd.
- You’ll see garbage all over. A lot of blunt wrappers. Garbage increases closer to Wayne Rd.
- Saw what looks like the base of an old house in the woods
- Ran across what looked like a campsite or party area in the woods
- Parking is right on the road, but as I prepared to run, a (appeared to be) homeless person walked by eyeing me up.

Summary: I’d say it’s worth checking out once. The old bridges are fun to climb on and check out. I’d be a little leery of going back here by myself during the day or evening. This was probably once a really nice park and you will enjoy the 1 mile of trail before things get weird.

Great little trail that takes you to some interesting bridges and even a spot that was once (as far as I can tell) a house.