Highland Recreation Area

Highland Recreation Area is a 6.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Highland, Michigan that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

a great trail system, very well maintained, light traffic.

A little washed out this year but still one of best trail in the area

It's always lovely to be out in the woods, but it felt strongly like a dedicated mountain bike trail. I saw a lot of bikers, and I was the only hiker around. Also, once the bikes went by, I felt very isolated. Maybe it is just a personal preference, but I would like there to be a little more traffic. Maybe next time I need to bring a companion. In addition, when they rate a trail "difficult", they mean it!

There's 4 trails and they're all amazing.

Great on weekdays, can get a bit congested on weekends. Love this park year-round to hike, walk, run. Good hills, challenge back vertical hill climb to Ford country home is killer! Can also be easy leisure walk if taken from front of park loop instead of back nature trails.

Wow!

This was our first hike that was rated difficult in Michigan. We weren't sure what to expect - there were 4 trails combined to chose from-and we did A Trail, the first loop from the trail head. It was a great hike with great variation in elevation. We did get turned around a bit- but we ended up where we needed to be anyways . With two starts to the trail head-the next time we do this hike we will have a whole new view. Great work out. Great sweat. Net time we will do A& B for a longer hike.