Highland A-B-C-D MTB Loop

Highland A-B-C-D MTB Loop is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Highland, Michigan that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful trail. Rarely encountered people Saturday morning. Well maintained and well marked.

I hiked A+B+C on a Monday morning, arriving at the trailhead at about 9:00am. I met one runner who was finishing just as I set out; I saw nobody else, hiking or riding, the rest of the day. However, forecast temperatures were mid- to upper-80s, which might have kept some away. The woods were beautiful, with fall colors already well started. The trail managers had an abundance of maps available at the trail head - take one (see below). I greatly enjoyed my 12-mile, 6hr (I stop for lots of pictures) hike. My GPS showed a total of 1670 ft. of elevation gain/loss. Parts of the trail are pretty steep, but nothing too bad. Although it is common practice to have MTBs ride clockwise and hikers counterclockwise, there are no markings on this trail for counterclockwise hiking. Because some of the turnoffs (e.g. from A to B) have slightly different exit and return points, it is easy to miss the turnoff if you are hiking counterclockwise. Additionally, none of the intersections with horsetrails are marked for counterclockwise hiking (e.g. you see the intersection sign after you cross the horse trail), although it is pretty easy to distinguish the horse trail from the MTB/hiking trail. None of the mile posts have markings for counterclockwise hiking. If you are going to hike counterclockwise, grab a map or download a gps track (or, maybe, just don't).
NOTE: many of the tracks on here seem to under-report distances, not sure if it comes from using an app on a cell phone, or from the fewer datapoints collected by (faster) MTBs vs. hikers, but the track I downloaded (from an MTB) gave A+B+C as 9.3 miles; DNR map puts it at 12.1 miles, my Garmin put it at 11.5 miles. I would have carried another liter of water had I known it was 12 miles beforehand.

Fun little hike right in SE Michigan with elevation, lakes, woods, and marsh.

a great trail system, very well maintained, light traffic.

A little washed out this year but still one of best trail in the area

It's always lovely to be out in the woods, but it felt strongly like a dedicated mountain bike trail. I saw a lot of bikers, and I was the only hiker around. Also, once the bikes went by, I felt very isolated. Maybe it is just a personal preference, but I would like there to be a little more traffic. Maybe next time I need to bring a companion. In addition, when they rate a trail "difficult", they mean it!

There's 4 trails and they're all amazing.

Great on weekdays, can get a bit congested on weekends. Love this park year-round to hike, walk, run. Good hills, challenge back vertical hill climb to Ford country home is killer! Can also be easy leisure walk if taken from front of park loop instead of back nature trails.

Wow!

This was our first hike that was rated difficult in Michigan. We weren't sure what to expect - there were 4 trails combined to chose from-and we did A Trail, the first loop from the trail head. It was a great hike with great variation in elevation. We did get turned around a bit- but we ended up where we needed to be anyways . With two starts to the trail head-the next time we do this hike we will have a whole new view. Great work out. Great sweat. Net time we will do A& B for a longer hike.

This trail is beautiful, especially in fall. It is easy to misstep and twist an ankle, so use caution.

Nice trail, good scenery. Not busy on a sunny Saturday in early April. I appreciate the elevation changes. Saw 3 snakes too!

First backpacking adventure of 2017.

Great Trails

Monday, November 14, 2016

Beautiful trail...hilly, big trees, windy, absolutely gorgeous!!! Definitely we will go back!!

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Amazing trail! Great prep for any backpacking excursions! It's a hidden gem in Michigan.

Monday, October 03, 2016

Hard for Mtb up and down hill and Rocky

Friday, September 09, 2016

Great to walk and hike on but detections are confusing

Sunday, September 04, 2016