Highland A-B-C-D MTB Loop

Highland A-B-C-D MTB Loop is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Highland, Michigan that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beautiful trail. Rarely encountered people Saturday morning. Well maintained and well marked.

I hiked A+B+C on a Monday morning, arriving at the trailhead at about 9:00am. I met one runner who was finishing just as I set out; I saw nobody else, hiking or riding, the rest of the day. However, forecast temperatures were mid- to upper-80s, which might have kept some away. The woods were beautiful, with fall colors already well started. The trail managers had an abundance of maps available at the trail head - take one (see below). I greatly enjoyed my 12-mile, 6hr (I stop for lots of pictures) hike. My GPS showed a total of 1670 ft. of elevation gain/loss. Parts of the trail are pretty steep, but nothing too bad. Although it is common practice to have MTBs ride clockwise and hikers counterclockwise, there are no markings on this trail for counterclockwise hiking. Because some of the turnoffs (e.g. from A to B) have slightly different exit and return points, it is easy to miss the turnoff if you are hiking counterclockwise. Additionally, none of the intersections with horsetrails are marked for counterclockwise hiking (e.g. you see the intersection sign after you cross the horse trail), although it is pretty easy to distinguish the horse trail from the MTB/hiking trail. None of the mile posts have markings for counterclockwise hiking. If you are going to hike counterclockwise, grab a map or download a gps track (or, maybe, just don't).
NOTE: many of the tracks on here seem to under-report distances, not sure if it comes from using an app on a cell phone, or from the fewer datapoints collected by (faster) MTBs vs. hikers, but the track I downloaded (from an MTB) gave A+B+C as 9.3 miles; DNR map puts it at 12.1 miles, my Garmin put it at 11.5 miles. I would have carried another liter of water had I known it was 12 miles beforehand.

Fun little hike right in SE Michigan with elevation, lakes, woods, and marsh.

a great trail system, very well maintained, light traffic.

A little washed out this year but still one of best trail in the area

It's always lovely to be out in the woods, but it felt strongly like a dedicated mountain bike trail. I saw a lot of bikers, and I was the only hiker around. Also, once the bikes went by, I felt very isolated. Maybe it is just a personal preference, but I would like there to be a little more traffic. Maybe next time I need to bring a companion. In addition, when they rate a trail "difficult", they mean it!

There's 4 trails and they're all amazing.