Greenstone Ridge Trail from Windigo to Tobin Harbor

Greenstone Ridge Trail from Windigo to Tobin Harbor is a 39.6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Eagle Harbor Twp, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August.

Point to Point

Sept 2nd to Sept 8th. no bugs. few wolf tracks. lots of moose tracks. saw one moose. trail is wetter than I thought it would be. Rained every afternoon. take rain pants. plants on side of trail stay wet for quite some time. awesome hike. I felt best part of hike was between Look Out Lousie and Ishpeming Point. could see better views.

I hiked the trail from Windigo to the Daisy Farm Trail in July. 95% of the time, you're surrounded by trees and mosquitos with none of the scenic views people keep raving about. The trail is steep and muddy. The kind of mud that's unavoidable to get through, knee deep, and sucks your boots off. I had bug bites the size of my fist on my legs, and I wore permethrin treated long pants plus insect repellent lotion on my skin.

There's no water source on the trail and no campgrounds either. This particularly is problematic because you're either going to be weighed down by extra water as you go up and down steep hills or you're going to be very dehydrated from all the physical exertion on a trail that gets very hot after 1pm. Temps ranged from 32 to 85F when I was there.

I actually enjoyed my side trips off the Greenstone to either side of the island along Lake Superior. But the Greenstone itself is awful.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Hiked the Greenstone from Windigo to Rock Harbor. Very beautiful with views of Lake Superior and Canada, plus all the lake on Isle Royale. Harder than I thought it would be with all the elevation changes but worth it.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

I backpacked this trail from Mt. Ojibway to Lane Cove trail. (2.8 M) Near this intersection it is Mount Franklin. This lookout provided me my greatest memory of the entire trip to Isle Royal. It was between 10PM -midnight which I first saw the Northern Lights or the Aurora Borealis. Simply unforgettable. As mentioned below, there is no access to water in this area so make sure you carry more than what you think you'll need. Enjoy.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The Greenstone Ridge Trail is the hiking spine of Isle Royale National Park. Spectacular views. Bring plenty of water as there is no access while on the ridge and if it is hot and sunny there is little tree shade so sunscreen and a hat are recommended too. We hiked it from East Chickenbone assent to Mt. Franklin where we exited via Lane Cove Trail the first day and Mt. Franklin Trail on day two.