Learn more

Deep Lake Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cloverdale, Michigan that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 10.4 mi Elevation gain 793 ft Route type Loop
Dog friendly Camping Cross country skiing Hiking Mountain biking Nature trips Walking Bird watching Running Forest Lake Views Wild flowers Fee
Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Note: the hiking trail and the mountain bike trail overlap, criss cross in several points and can be difficult to parse out. If you hike the mountain biking trail, users recommend going the opposite direction of the bike traffic. Requires a Michigan recreation pass, around 18$ for the year.

Travel Michigan, MI Economic Development Corporation, 4225 Miller Road, Ste. 4 , Flint, MI, 48507-9821, Phone: 888-784-7328

Directions from Wayland, MI: Take US 131 south turning east at the Bradley exit. Take CR A-42 (Chief Noonday Road) east to Gun Lake Road following the signs to Yankee Springs Headquarters. Obtain detailed park map at this point.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (219)
Photos (101)
Recordings (207)
Completed (347)
Jason Shaw
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 22, 2020
View Jason's Recording
Candice Christie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2020
Mountain biking

Fun trail! Nice mix of up and downhill. Sandy!

View Candice's Recording
Sara Forman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 29, 2020
HikingOff trail

Add .8 to mileage bc I forgot to unpause it Great partly cloudy day with a strong breeze after a week of miserable sticky humidity.

Eric Hibma
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 28, 2020
HikingGreat!RockyWashed out
View Eric's Recording
Shankar Devi M
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 23, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!

Loved the greenery along the whole trail. As everyone else mentioned, the trail is actually 13 mile long and it’s a mountain bike trail. I did the big loop of 12.2 miles on a Saturday morning. Would definitely recommend to walk on the opposite direction of bikers. The paths are narrow and curvy which gives you more reason to stay alert about bikers as they crossed me usually at a good speed. For a beginner hiker like me, the path had a decent mix of ups and downs. Mostly shaded trail, sandy parts for a bit, lots of stones and tree roots on the path, bugs were tolerable for me.

Leah Pace
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 18, 2020
View Leah's Recording
Leah Pace
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 16, 2020
View Leah's Recording
Stacy F.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 13, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!RockyScramble

Loved this trail! However, there are a few things to take note of... if you follow the map in red as it appears on this site You will be doing the mountain bike trail and it is 13 mi long. The hiking trail criss crosses with it and meets up several points but I stuck strictly to the mountain biking trail and I hiked it with my dog going the opposite way of the bike traffic. We did this hike on a Thursday afternoon and only came across about two dozen bikers. No way would I want to do it on a weekend! Also, if you decide to hike the mountain bike portion of this trail it is very rocky and there are multiple long assents and decents on loose gravel with large stones. I would rate the hike as hard if you choose to hike the entire mountain biking path. I also really regretted hiking in my trail running shoes, after about the 6th or 7th mile my feet really began to hurt just from all of the stones. I would have really benefited by wearing my hiking boots for the ankle support as well as the thick soles. The bugs that were present on the trail were relentless and just laughed at my DEET spray. I brought 2L of water for my dog and 2L for myself and truthfully we could have used a bit more. All in all, probably one of my favorite trails and I'll definitely be back in the fall for the colors!

Dave L.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020

This is an awesome trail, by far one of the best I've done in Michigan !!

Dave L.
Hiking

This is an awesome trail, by far one of the best I've done in Michigan!!

View Dave's Recording
Danielle Matz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2020
Hiking

Only giving it 4 stars instead of 5 because of all the sand. Otherwise, great trail!

View Danielle's Recording
Chris Guhl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

My family enjoyed this trail. I had to modify the route so we covered 6 out of the 10 miles. It was me, my wife, 4 kids, and 2 dogs. Make sure you bring plenty of water. There is a creek that the dogs enjoyed. There are many side paths too. I took the family on one to cut through. That was my kid's highlight. They really loved the challenge. Hikers beware that this path is shared with Mountain Bikers. It wasn't bad since we went the opposite direction as them so we could see them and move to the side. Since we were camping in Deep Lake we wanted to see what the trail offered. I came here as a kid and plan to bring the family back on our trips to Michigan. Lots to see and a very rewarding experience!

View Chris's Recording
Andrew Zabel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 7, 2020
HikingBugsRocky

pretty well marked trail if you stay on the mountain bike trail. actual miles is close to 13. swarming biting flies throughout the trail. use bug spray.

View Andrew 's Recording
Maggie Dehart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 28, 2020
HikingBugsFee

Decent trail but where the hiking trail is versus the mountain bike trail is overlap and can be difficult to parse out. Requires a Michigan recreation pass, around 18 for the year.

Sara Forman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 21, 2020
HikingBugs

Turned around early bc of flooding and mosquitoes!

Amelia Martin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 16, 2020
Hiking

Sandy bits are rough. Otherwise nice ride.

View Amelia's Recording
Sara Forman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 16, 2020
HikingBugs

The bugs are back! Nothing unmanageable, but none the annoying. Trail is in great shape, 90% canopied throughout.

Jim VanZee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 14, 2020
Hiking

Nice casual walk with the dog

View Jim's Recording
Kaitlan Ware
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 1, 2020
Hiking

Got lost will have to try again

View Kaitlan's Recording
GB DT
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 22, 2020
Mountain biking

Easy but nice

Lou-Anne Andrakovich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 12, 2020
Hiking

Fantastic trail, used a lot by fat tire bikers.

View Lou-Anne's Recording
Justin Emery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 28, 2020
Walking

Great conditions and fairly good signage, one good water access on trail. Beautiful hike, dog friendly, and everyone we bumped into was cool

View Justin's Recording